Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to get ticks out of my yard...

kascmaly
May 22nd, 2007, 05:21 AM
Okay.. I've searched the boards already. Albeit not very hard. But I did go through 2 pages of the search with the word TICK in the search box. So.. Here is my question.

I've got tick infestation in my yard.. I'm positive of it. I use frontline on my doggies and frontline them 3 weeks instead of every 4. It doesn't seem to be working. I check them EVERYTIME they come indoors and I pull of 5-10 ticks each time off of each dog (I've got two). How can I get them out of my yard? I've heard of Guinea Hens.. But, I was thinking of a treatment for my yard as well.. Any suggestions?

I'm going nuts with these blasted ticks. :yell: I found 4 in my bed this morning (I'm now banning my doggies from my room after a VERY thorough cleaning today) and then one attached to my head here at work.. Gah.. I'm disgusted.

Thank you all!
Kas

Scott_B
May 22nd, 2007, 05:38 AM
Do a search (google) for Diatomaceous Earth. You want a food grade though...

kascmaly
May 22nd, 2007, 06:25 AM
Thank you :D I will do this and see if it works.. Wonder where I am going to find it though!
Kas

chico2
May 22nd, 2007, 07:10 AM
I had a friend in Sweden who's cats kept getting ticks,he was told to keep his grass really short,mow down any reeds etc..I don't know much about ticks:yuck: but was told high grass makes it easier for them to get on dogs and cats:confused:

hazelrunpack
May 22nd, 2007, 07:23 AM
I've also heard that guinea hens work...but they're pugnacious birds...they'll train your dogs to stay away...you, too. :D

I hear ya about the ticks--we're on the three week schedule, as well.

This time of year, the migrating birds seem to bring in the ticks. We associate the arrival of the white-throated sparrows with the onset of Icky Tick season...but they're only transporting the deer ticks. I think the wood ticks are here on their own. :frustrated:

You can treat your yard with a chemical...it's early in the day, and I'm still groggy, but my memory tells me it's permethrin. A vet would know, or you could google "permethrin ticks". You'd have to keep your dogs off the grass until it degrades (at least, I would, although I know people who've let them on after the stuff dries). It has a short half-life so it would break down after a couple of weeks. Really does the trick but you may have to reapply another time if there's a lot of wildlife traipsing through your yard.

We have six English Setters...tick bait, all of them. :p The advantage to having a lot of dogs is that after a month or two, they've already gathered up most of the ticks and either the Frontline Plus has killed them or we've dispatched them. And more good news about ticks that come off a dog that's been treated with Frontline Plus: The ticks usually are already sick from the stuff (that's why they abandoned the dog) and will rarely reattach...even to a human. Still makes me itchy, though... :yuck:

Good luck :fingerscr --and if you find the miracle fix for a ticky yard, please p.m. me! :D

Lise
May 22nd, 2007, 07:28 AM
Guineas are great for eating all nasty little bugs,our gang wanders around our place all day eating things and come back at night for bed chickens do the same.So far no more ticks were they go.Added bonus of letting us know when anyone is here or a hawk goes over.They are very loud so if you have neighbours close I wouldn't advise them!

hazelrunpack
May 22nd, 2007, 07:36 AM
Guineas are great for eating all nasty little bugs,our gang wanders around our place all day eating things and come back at night for bed chickens do the same.So far no more ticks were they go.Added bonus of letting us know when anyone is here or a hawk goes over.They are very loud so if you have neighbours close I wouldn't advise them!

How do they do with dogs? I've always been tempted to get a few--they could use the heated shed as a coop, since (although it has indoor/outdoor kennels) the dogs rarely use it. :D But I've heard they can be...well...intolerant :laughing:

Lise
May 22nd, 2007, 05:02 PM
Our guys are fine with everyone.We got them when they were chicks and they were raised around dogs etc.We clipped wings to start until they knew their space now they are flying and have free run,it's been five years and we haven't lost anyone,our guys live in a coop with ducks and chickens no problem.I think people try to keep them in too small an area which would probably make them pretty miserable.Our dogs know the no chasing rule,Nell our collie turns her head when she walks by them,chasing birds is soooo tempting

hazelrunpack
May 22nd, 2007, 08:06 PM
Maybe we'll look into the guinea fowl again... Sure would be nice to get rid of the ticks. Think they eat black flies, too? The black flies are sucking the Pack dry this spring! :eek:

Poor Nell...all that temptation. :D