Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

fetching play

hangpilot391
May 21st, 2007, 03:53 PM
Hello
thanlk you for your replys on my dog brigitte. My
adopted poodle type dog brigitte does not seem to know how to fetch. The only game she plays is tug of war with her leash. Do i need to train her to do it and how, or do poodles not do the sort of thing. She is the first pet i have ever had and i am complety ignorant about them

thanks david

Ford Girl
May 22nd, 2007, 01:29 PM
You need to teach them what you expect of them, some will do it eagerly, some won't do it at all. My golden "retriever" doesn't retrieve at all for games/play sake, altho she likes to bring me garbage and rocks and will chase the thrown ball and keep on running, she won't birng it back, not even for a treat....:crazy:

There was a thread on here awhile back that gave good advise to those of use who wanted to know how to get our dogs to retrieve, I would search the archives if I were you, I can't give you any actual advise cuz it didn't work for my dog. :)

bamper
May 25th, 2007, 09:56 AM
well, ive rarely seen dogs that know "i have to bring the ball back!" on the first through, you have to teach the dog what to do.

get a 50 ft clothes line and tie a clasp onto one end, attach it to the dogs collar.

through the ball while saying a word such as "fetch" or "go get it"

the dog will almost deffinately run after the ball

then guide the dog back to you once he/she has the ball in its mouth.

repeat, some dogs though just dont like fetch