Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

'What breed am I'? kit for dogs

Kristin7
May 21st, 2007, 11:51 AM
Anyone tried this companies kit? They claim it can be used to determine your mixed-up-mutt's breed heritage. I am thinking about doing it for my dog Guinness (out of pure curiosity) and just was wondering if anyone else had tried it or is thinking about it. http://www.mmigenomics.com/index.html

SableCollie
May 21st, 2007, 12:39 PM
Sometimes I wish I could get one for every mutt at the shelter, it's so hard to tell what they could be! And knowing what breeds they are could help us know about potential health problems and personality traits they could have inherited. If I had a mixed breed, I think I would buy the kit out of curiosity. I wish they had these when my old sheba was still alive, she was a mutt (only the best mutt in the whole world!!! :rip: ).

pitgrrl
May 21st, 2007, 07:23 PM
:laughing: If it wasn't so expensive I would totally get one, though perhaps I don't want to know for sure what my dogs are.

Kristin7
May 31st, 2007, 11:07 AM
It is kind of expensive, but i'm so curious, I have to try it. I ordered a kit and it has arrived. Apparently it takes 4-6 weeks to get back the results, so I'll post the results, along w/ his pic, when I find out! :)

sissani
May 31st, 2007, 05:28 PM
So that kit can determine if a dog is pure bred, then? Tickey was a stray and we really cant say for sure, but damned if he just is the breed standard of a Beagle (from what I've read). Would be kinda cool to know for sure. Louie too, it would be cool to know if Brittany and Border Collie are all thats in his bloodline.

But for my finances, $150 would not be cool lol.

Kristin7
May 31st, 2007, 06:21 PM
I am not sure. There is a list of breeds, I think 38 total (beagle is likely on it) that can be tested for. That leaves a lot of other breeds unaccounted for, though they are working on adding more to the test. I'm doing it because i'm interested in finding out more about my mixed up mutt's heritage. He looks like a lot of different breeds to me... The test I purchased was $65 (USD).