Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Baxter and Gabby play so rough

clm
May 21st, 2007, 01:30 AM
Baxter is a typical boisterous pup. Slowly learning what he is allowed and not allowed to bite. Gabby is still very much a kitten and loves to play hard. These 2 make for a bad pair. Gabby is forever teasing Baxter and he of course falls for it every time and chases her everywhere. Watching them just sends chills up my spine. I'm forever trying to break them up, but they just love playing together. I was having a nap on Saturday afternoon. On the couch. I heard some ruffling and looked over the side of the couch, there was Baxter walking backwards dragging Gabby by the scruff of her neck, she was lying there just loving it. I almost had a fit, of course as soon as Baxter sees I'm watching him and I'm awake he lets go and lies down and chews his toys, like he's not doing anything. Gabby gets up and walks back over to him and lies down beside him. They sure do keep me on pins and needles.

Cindy

Longblades
May 21st, 2007, 09:16 AM
As long as the pooch is not so large that he would inadvertently hurt the kitten my first impression is if they are both loving it leave them to it. When mine did that I trusted both to have enough sense to not go back for more if it was hurting them. Mind you, my Lab did not play roughly with the kittens but I too was horrified one day to find her with a kitten neck in her mouth. She was very gently nibbling and the kitten loved it.

The only drawback I observed is the kittens learned to play roughly with anyone. The dog allowed them to bite her, hard, and they played hard with us too. That is when they bothered to play with us at all as they found the dog to be much more fun. I guess that makes two drawbacks, the kittens bonded with the dog, not us.

Prin
May 21st, 2007, 12:43 PM
hehe, that sounds kinda cute as well as terrifying... I'd just keep an eye on them (as I'm sure you are...).