Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

peeing for dominance?

lawn_freak
May 20th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I've just moved this thread from the breeds group, lots of views but no advice.:shrug:

I have a 6 month old daschund-he's a mini/standard cross. He is just perfect in every way but one--one very big way! He keeps peeing on the carpet. I won't say that his problem is housebreaking because he does know how to hold it until he goes out. I know this because he never has an accident when nobody is home with him. I suspect it has more to do with dominance or an attention issue. He could be perfectly fine all day then for seemingly no reason at all he will pee on the rug several times throughout the evening, every evening--he doesn't even sniff out a spot or show any warning. :confused:

I am aware that daschunds can have breed specific training issues so I'm hoping that somebody out there will know the breed and have wonderful and effective suggestions on how I can deal with this rascally little wiener!:fingerscr

Prin
May 20th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Is he neutered? Have you thoroughly cleaned the carpet?

lawn_freak
May 20th, 2007, 10:50 PM
We had him neutered almost three weeks ago. As for the carpet. I deep clean it once every 2 weeks and I treat each "non"-accident with a peroxide and water solution commercially marketed for pet stain and odour removal. I'm sure that the scent is still there as I've heard that you can never really get rid of them. However, if the scent was the problem, wouldn't the dog pee on the rug when I've left him alone for 5 or 6 hours at a time? I've yet to come home to pee on the rug--it only seems to happen when the family is home. Any ideas?:o

SnowDancer
May 21st, 2007, 11:07 AM
I looked at your profile - you appear to have several dogs. Is this the case? If so, what breeds and where does you Dachshund fit into the hierarchy in terms of age, personality and length of time in your household. I have major experience with Dachshunds - and have suffered through this problem, particularly with one of the Dachshunds - although not my 2 darling Alphas. Dachshunds are very strong willed though. I no longer have a Dachshund (I am your expert on neck/back problems) but they are the dogs of my life. We now have an American Eskimo - we love him dearly, but a HOUND DOG he is not!

Prin
May 21st, 2007, 11:49 AM
He's not peeing often though? Sometimes, they can have trouble for a bit after the neuter... But like SnowDancer said, she's the authority here on Dachs.. :o

lawn_freak
May 21st, 2007, 06:11 PM
Here's where "Frankie" fits into our canine hierarchy (all of the dogs have been with us since young puppyhood): Buddy is a 90 pound 10 year old sheppard/collie mix, Carly is a three year old golden retriever, and Frankie is an almost 7 month old daschund. As far as personality and dominance--Buddy is pretty easy going and has been the alpha, Carly has no problem with Buddy being alpha but in no way will she allow Frankie to get one up on her--he just sniffs her butt and she's all over him snapping and snarling. So Frankie won't hump Carly but he often humps Buddy (a real sight to see). Buddy just ignores the humping until he's had enough then he'll snap at Frankie.

As far as whether or not he's peeing enough, I don't think that his neutering has anything to do with this problem since it started before the surgery--actually, the surgery hasn't changed anything at all, I don't even think Frankie knew that he'd had surgery!

So, Snow Dancer, do you think that it's a dominance issue related to Buddy? or the two legged alphas in the house? I really hope you're familiar to this problem, I sooooo need some help here.