Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Licking and scratching after spaying surgery

crazyforcats
May 20th, 2007, 08:51 AM
What can I do to help my puppy stop licking and scratching at the incision in her tummy from her spaying surgery? She had the surgery on Friday - 2 days ago - she is 6-1/2 months old. This morning, with every step she walks, her hind leg is up scratching at her tummy (which I don't think is touching the actual incision), and with every couple steps she's stopping to lick at her tummy. I had to put the cone on her head yesterday to stop her from licking, just while I did some house-work and couldn't watch her. Of course, the cone is not a big hit... I have to put her in her crate so she isn't freaking out, running backwards, and hurting herself.

Is there anythigng I can do to help my puppy during this recovery? Should I keep the cone on her more often (she's had it on once for about 30 minutes)? How many days should it take before her tummy isn't driving her nuts and I don't have to watch her constantly?

Hunter's_owner
May 20th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Yeah keeping the cone on more will help for sure. It will be a couple of days before the itchiness goes away, how long before the stitches come out?

crazyforcats
May 20th, 2007, 05:36 PM
The vet said the stitches come out in 10-14 days - so another 8-12 days from today.

Prin
May 20th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Are you sure it's itchy and not in pain? Is she on any pain killers? If not, I'd ask the vet if it might be a good idea... :fingerscr :goodvibes:

glitterless
May 21st, 2007, 07:28 PM
Is there any excessive heat or swelling? Any discharge from the incision site? If so she might need to see a vet again. If not, keep the elizabethan collar on as much as you can and try not to leave her alone without it on. It's difficult, but she can do so much damage to herself if she really starts scratching and chewing. Good luck! Just remember that it's *only* 2 weeks, even if it does seem like it's forever!