Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Cat Likes Sucking Earlobes

Carly
April 25th, 2004, 12:37 PM
In fact she's sucking my earlobe right now. Um, is this OK? It seems to me it doesn't hurt anyone so I just let her do it....plus that keeps her off the keyboard.

I am a first time new mom so I have lots of questions... :D

Any thoughts on the earlobe sucking? Lately it's been accompanied by a lot of nuzzling on my ear and face and neck.

How often do you scoop? How often do you overhaul the box? So far my nose knows...and its about every week for the overhaul and every day for the scooping.

How do you keep them off the dinner table and kitchen counter?

How do you decide on a good vet?

Also how do you pick a good name? We call her Kitty Cat, Honey, Sweety, Bunny and Bunny Rabbit.

Lucky Rescue
April 25th, 2004, 02:24 PM
HI!:)
Is this an adult cat or a kitten? If you don't mind her sucking your earlobe, then there's no problem!:) Cats and kittens often suck blankets, hair,earlobes etc.if they have been taken from their mothers too soon. It comforts them and is similar to a child sucking his thumb. She probably drools and purrs too while doing this?

If you want her to stop this, make a sharp sound when she does, like "AH AH!!" then pet or play with her when she stops.

The box needs to be scooped every day, and changed completely when the litter is too soiled or gets low. If you can smell it, it needs cleaning!

Keep cats off the counter by not leaving food around. If the cat is already in the habit of jumping on the counter or table, get some double-sided tape and put a few strips on the counter. Cats HATE anything sticking to their feet, and this should discourage her after a few tries. If there is nothing to eat, and sticky stuff on her feet, she'll give it up.

To find a good vet, ask around to pet-owning friends or co-workers for references. Is your cat spayed?

As to a name, pick one and use it every time you call her to eat, or play or to get treats, and she'll learn it.

Carly
April 25th, 2004, 03:07 PM
She is approximately 6 months. I really don't mind, I just want to make sure its not bad for her. She used to suck on my boyfriend's earlobe too but now she seems to prefer mine. Yep, there is some drool and lots of purring. Although I think she felt asleep on my ear last night. LOL. All of a sudden the purring stopped and then she twitched and started up again.

So far my scooping and changing is consistent with what you suggested. I'm allergic to cats and I've noticed the more meticulously cat owners take care of the box, the better it is on my allergies. So its in my own best interest to be pretty diligent.

Well, it looks like her name will be Kitty Cat since that's what she responds to. My family has already taken to the nickname KC.

chico2
April 25th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Nice to read about a caring owner,ear-lobe sucking,that's sooo cute :p
Your'e also allergic to cats,well,it just goes to show,you can live with cats and allergies,no need to dump them in a shelter,like some morons do...
At our HS that is the most common excuse :mad:
Good Luck with Kitty-cat(very imaginative name :D )!!!

mona_b
April 25th, 2004, 05:04 PM
My 7 month old kitten loves to suck on my finger...He also has his own fleese blanket that he sucks on.It's a throw-fleese one.He actually carries(drags) it around...It's so cute..

Do you have a pic you can post of her?

I actually like the name KC. :D

As for the allergies,we have heard it so many times of people getting rid of their cat/kitten because of it....You need to stay on this site so you can be our back up.... :D

woodbyter
April 25th, 2004, 05:41 PM
KC is a name with a lot of history.

KC and the Sunshine Boys

Harry Wayne Casey (known as KC for short) formed the Sunshine band in 1973 in Miama, Fla. He is so famous he has his own star on the Hollywood walk of fame.

Your cat is already famous....... :D :D

and I am a KC fan :D

Luba
April 25th, 2004, 05:50 PM
I remember KC and the Sunshine Band

It was one of the first 45's I bought when I was 6/7 years old at a garage sell on my street LOL

chico2
April 25th, 2004, 10:58 PM
I liked KC and the Sunshine Band I was also 6/7,well maybe a few years older :p
Kitty-Cat is a cute name...there is a beautiful longhaired Tabby a few houses away from me,his name is Kitty also very original :D

rescuekitty
April 25th, 2004, 11:16 PM
I just wanted to stick up for some of us with allergies! I know ome people can tolerate their allergen(whether it be cats, dogs, or peanuts...). Some just sneeze a lot, and all they have to do is take an allergy medication of some sort to stop the symptoms. On the other hand, being anaphylactic(basically means deathly allergic... throat closes up and breathing stops, as well as body swelling when you come in contact with your allergen) to nuts and peanuts myself, I know where some people are coming from. Not to say that all people that "dump" their cats are doing it because they are seriously allergic to them, but it is a logical reason for getting rid of one! Don't bash anyone for saying their allergic. That's why I have an outdoor cat and dog, as I have family members who are allergic! I still love them every bit as much, and they get a ton of attention, but they remain outside. I have a family history of allergies, and my mother used to run the Peterborough chapter of the Allergy/Asthma Information Association (AAIA). So I have quite a bit of experience with allergies, and I hate to see people being bashed because they have allergies and need to find another home for their pets. It's better that they take them to the Humane Society than dispose of them otherwise, like just letting them go somewhere or shooting them!! Please at least think about this. For anyone that would like to talk more about allergies, feel free to email me at horsecrazy100@hotmail.com. I'm glad to talk to anyone! :D

chico2
April 26th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Rescuekitty,I hear you,but why get a cat to begin with if you have allergies :confused: I am sure someone severly allergic to cats must know that beforehand.

mona_b
April 26th, 2004, 08:39 PM
I had a crush on KC..... ;) :p

Here is a pic of Casper sucking his blankie..

I agree anita.Also why get a dog?I'm sorry,but it bothers me when people have allergies and the pets are stuck outside.Pets are part of the family.That also means being inside with the family.Either curled up by your feet,or hogging the bed...LOL

Luba
April 26th, 2004, 09:28 PM
'but they remain outside...'

sigh

Not mine

Love from a distance.... I could never do and it's not fair to them.
I too as Anita pointed out why get a pet if you or someone else has an allergy that causes the pet to have a less enjoyable life outside of the family?

If you love them but your family has allergies you can always volunteer at a shelter giving love to those that need it!

If your family member or yourself is 'that' allergic, what do you do after you hold and stroke your cat and play with him/her? Do you go indoors remove and wash your clothing and shower immediately?

Anyone with a serious allergy as you have pointed out would be immediately affected by the dander that you have brought in on you.

To me it's selfish and to think you say you have 'more' knowledge then most people because of the association to your mother who ran an allergy awareness program - is even moreso baffling.

Sure you may love your pets but someone else could love them more and share with them the things they deserve to have, not just look at through a door or a window and wish for!! I wonder if they understand the allergy situation, of it they just figure they're not loved enough to be allowed in the family home.

The more I go on about it the more t'd off I get!

rescuekitty
April 26th, 2004, 10:57 PM
First of all, many people develop allergies after being exposed to the allergen...
Second of all, my animals have very happy lives and would much rather be running around outside than being locked up inside. I don't care whether you agree with me. Many animals live outside and are happy that way. We live on a farm and have lots of room for them to run and play... I would never call it "love from a distance!" We love them and spend lots of time with them. So do you then think that barn animals have a cruel life because they do not live in the house? I love my horse, donkey and goat just as much as my other animals, but they're not coming in the house either!
Thirdly, After cuddling with the animals and playing with them, I do come in and wash up and change my clothes. Every animal deserves a loving home, and we can give them just that. Whether or not you agree with the fact that they live outdoors, that's fine. I'm not here to prove myself. I feel they are happier that way, and so does anyone who's ever met my dog. He's a Springer Spaniel and very high strung, even at 10 years old. He would not do well as an indoor dog anyway....
I didn't say I have more knowledge than other people, but living with a serious allergy and teaching others about their allergies most of my life has led me to a great deal of knowledge... Not that I may be any more knowledgable than any of you

chico2
April 26th, 2004, 11:21 PM
Rescuekitty,you are more knowledgable than me about allergies,I don't have any allergies that I know of.As a matter of fact I've never heard of so many people being allergic to this and that as in Canada,I usually call it a Canadian desease. :D Before we came to Canada I very rarely heard of anyone with allergies,but maybe it's all the pollution we now have in the air.
Maybe your cat/dog are happy outside,but I bet they would like to curl up in a warm bed with you,just like my cats do every night,that's where they belong,they are very important family members and it's a good thing we have a King-size bed or hubbie would be on the floor :D
Awwww Sadie,nite,nite :)

Luba
April 27th, 2004, 10:07 AM
They don't have the option to speak to you and tell you that they'd rather be indoors though do they.

So your springer is active...your point is? Leaving them to exercise on their own w/o you participating in play and fetch is what makes a dog hyper indoor.

Your correlation between domesticated animals (cats/dogs) in comparison to barn yard animals (donkeys/goats/horses) is ridiculous.

So just explain to me one thing....why do you have them to begin with?

Lucky Rescue
April 27th, 2004, 10:50 AM

Luba, if you ever get the answer to that, please let me know. It's something that puzzles me every time I see dogs around here (that people deliberately went and got) kept in garages, pens, or chained outside.

What are the thought processes?...I can only conclude it must be something like this:

"Okay, I'm allergic to dogs/have new hardwood floors/can't stand the hair/don't believe in dogs in the house/don't want them on the furniture/am too lazy to train one/can't afford a vet so I think I'll go get a dog!"(??)

If I didn't want a dog around, I certainly wouldn't go and get one! :confused:

Bill & Bob
April 27th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Well if you want a story about backyard dogs that went bad, I've got one.
When I first moved into this basement suite, the guy upstairs got two German Shepherds. They ended up being in the fenced in backyard, but one of them was a bit neurotic to begin with and barked all day and all night. The other was relatively quiet. They did get their walks every day, and had a back room on the house with food and water to go to when they were wanting shelter. For some reason though, they wouldn't go in there, and given Vancouver weather they would just lie about in the backyard in mud puddles all day long. Could never understand that one.
Anyhoo, they barked and barked. I didn't have much to do with them because they weren't my dogs, and I wasn't interested in taking them on as a project because I just didnt have time at the time. Finally it became a neighbourhood war, and everyone hated the house I live in because of the barking dogs. The woman next door called animal control a number of times, but they would come over and leave because the dogs had shelter and food and water if they chose to use it.
So, this went on for quite a while. I had people showing up at my basement suite door at 6:30 in the morning yelling at me because the dogs were barking. I freaked on one of them and told them they weren't my dogs. I'm a little surly first thing in the morning.
Anyhoo, it eventually got so big that it hit the local community newspaper with a full page article. One day I got home, and the guy upstairs said that one of the local tv stations showed up and filmed a segment!
Eventually the owner got taken to court over noise violations, and the dogs ended up on a farm out in the country where I understand they are quite happy.
Happy ending, but certainly one of the nastiest years of my life.
Bob will never be a backyard dog, that's all I can say.

mona_b
April 27th, 2004, 02:38 PM
I am so tired of people saying their dog likes living outdoors,or it's in their breed.My sister is on a farm with 3 Huskies and a Border Collie.Yes they love the outdoors,but not to live there 24/7...My 2 GSD's LOVE the outdoors.But they also love to hog the bed at night.My step-father has allergies.But guess what,they have a little dog and a cat.And he manages just fine.It's called medication.

And I have to agree with Luba.It is ridiculous to compare domestic animals to barn animals.

chico2
April 27th, 2004, 04:42 PM
My story,I told a while ago about Crystal,the Great Dane/Husky mix who belonged to a FORMER friend of mine.She was outside 24/7 year around even in -25C,she had a makeshift-shelter,but it certainly never got warm.
If she did get to her food quick enough,the mice would eat it.
My then friend,told me the VET said she should be outside since she is part Husky,which is BS.
I argued until I was blue for this poor dog,but there was no way she would ever be let into the house,not even the basement,she was according to them dirty and they would not even touch her.
I contacted HS but like they always say,all that is required is food and shelter.
Well,my former friend could not wait to get rid of her and when she got some kind of sore on her neck,I discovered it because I cuddled her,instead of treating her they had her put down a 7yrs old.
Here's a picture of Crystal,does she look like a Husky to anyone?

chico2
April 27th, 2004, 04:44 PM
oops,sorry about the crooked large pic!!

mona_b
April 27th, 2004, 04:48 PM
What a sweetie...And those sad puppy dog eyes... :(

Is that a lump on her neck or just the pic?

Nope,no husky in her.

Bill & Bob
April 27th, 2004, 05:17 PM
There's not a lick of Husky in that dog. Just my opinion. They had the dog put down because of a lump? Just a question, but what the hell did they get the dog for in the first place. They thought it was dirty? If you lived in a freaking box outside 24/7, with mice eating your food with nobody touching you or talking to you, you'd be dirty too! My opinion, if you couldn't live in the conditions your dog is living in, you shouldn't have a dog. Try it, I have. I got into Bob's kennel one time to see what it was like. He just stared at me like I was a weirdo. Kind of reminded me of the old days hiding in the box the TV came in when I was a kid. Curled up on his bed one day too just for kicks. Not bad. A little sparse in the centre, but that's because he seems to push all the padding to the outside. He likes it that way I guess. Anyhoo, you should have to prove to the vet that you have a valid/verifiable reason to put a dog down. I suppose if that was the case, you'd just find more dogs wandering aimlessly on country roads.

chico2
April 27th, 2004, 05:28 PM
No Mona,it's the picture..she had what seemed to be a bug-bite on her neck and it got infected,could probably easily have been cured.
I live about two hours away from them and when she called me and said Crystal had a braintumor and had to be put down,I knew she was lying...and I do not need friends like that.In a way it was a relief to me Crystal did not have to spend any more cold nights outside alone,but I am sure she would have loved a nice warm bed.
Bob,the dog belonged to her husband and when they got married the dog was put outside and the husband did not care too much.
I would say,don't like my dog,no marriage!!!!

Luba
April 27th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Sweet Crystal

cropped for ya ;)

The husband shoulda been the one put outside!!!

rescuekitty
April 27th, 2004, 06:40 PM
I'm not here to argue... I know we love our animals, and we take good care of the ones we have. If you don't agree with it, so be it... I'm not here to prove myself to you. My animals are happy the way they are... In fact, when we are at my cottage and my dog comes in at night, he whines and wimpers and barks to get back out... He much prefers being outdoors! But I'm apparently in the wrong according to all of you, so I'll just keep my mouth shut. When I found this board, I thought it would be a nice place to chat with other animal lovers. As it turns out, most of you are so bent on proving you are the only right ones that it's not nice or enjoyable at all... Sorry for interrupting your day, as you obviously think I'm a piece of "scum" by the way you are telling me things. My animals are loved. And I don't see the difference between the goat living in the barn and the dog living outside with her... They are both well loved and well taken care of, have shelter to get out of the elements and food and water available to them. I am not like you friend, Chico, who left their dog outside and thought she was "dirty". We take good care of our animals, spend lots of time with them, and love them. Just because they don't live in a human "house" does not mean they don't consider their house a home...

mona_b
April 27th, 2004, 07:45 PM
I had a better look at her in the one Luba fixed.Something is just not right by her neck on the left side.She is over weight or something.And has bumps on her leg...Poor baby....I love Great Danes.My aunt raised 5 on her farm.Along with a Newfie and a St.Bernard

Yeah,something tells me the new wifey didn't want her in the house.

Of course the dogs going to whine.All the dog knows is to be outside.

How can they call a house a home if they are not IN the home?

Question for you.At what age did your dog start living outside?

Sorry,but we think our pets should be part of the family.That means laying by our feet while we watch t.v...Or laying beside us while we are reading or on the computer.And us looking down at them while they nap.THAT is being part of the family in my eyes.

Luba
April 27th, 2004, 09:19 PM
when we are at my cottage and my dog comes in at night

I guess the allergies just POOF go away at the cottage?

rescuekitty
April 27th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Well, regardless, can we not just make a truce, and think that he is happier outside... He lived outside before we got him at three months old, and has lived outside ever since.. Dogs and cats originated outside....

rescuekitty
April 27th, 2004, 09:25 PM
No, they don't go away, but it's a lot easier to clean up the hair and dander... The floors are painted wood, not carpet like home. And usually the person with the allergies stays home...

Luba
April 27th, 2004, 09:41 PM
So your dog stays outside at home because you have carpeting?

(smh)

Somebody ever suggest to you with your unlimited amount of access and knowledge to remove the carpeting?

3 mons old living outside and this wasn't enough for you to say, hey this dog needs a better life.

rescuekitty
April 27th, 2004, 09:42 PM
I have allergies, but not to animals...

mona_b
April 27th, 2004, 09:52 PM
OMG... :eek:

3 months old and living outside?That just makes me sick.

You love your animals.But yet you let a 3 month old pup live outside.

That is just pathetic...It really is....And don't give me that crap that the pup loved being out there.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

rescuekitty
April 27th, 2004, 10:08 PM
I did not own him when he was 3 months old. He was born in the summer, and lived outside most of the time, but in the sunroom at night... He lived in our garage at night until he was about a year old.

Luba
April 27th, 2004, 10:13 PM
OH wow he graduated to a garage then was a bad adult doggie and he had to be put outside again.

Shame shame shame on you!

Lucky Rescue
April 27th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Of course, dogs love living in solitary confinement in garages. I really don't understand why my dog is with me all the time. She must be one of those oddities who likes human company.Maybe I should start keeping her in the garage?

And rescuekitty, I notice that when you whining on the CatSite about how you were being "bashed" here, you neglected to mention the fact that the cat is 9 years old, outside having kittens in this cold weather, and having them under a piece of sheet metal. Of course, I'm sure she is just SOOOO happy there, right??

You are just a saint! :p

Luba
April 27th, 2004, 10:22 PM
LR maybe you should post the link of that thread on your cat board so they can see for themselves.

chico2
April 27th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Mona,Mona oh Mona :D Crystal was not mine,you must have missread,I would NEVER EVER leave a dog outside :eek:
I don't own a dog,but my cats are part of the family,hair,nails and all :D
Crystal belonged to a couple we knew.I suspected she also had arthrities(sp),hence the knobs on her elbows(if dogs have elbows),probably from being out in the cold.She actually had husky eyes,a very strange, very light blue,but that was the only thing...
I fought tooth and nail to get them to understand,but I got nowhere with anyone...she had food and shelter, that according to some people is all a dog needs.Anyway,Crystal is gone now,she was 7yrs old and in her miserable existance maybe it was a blessing.

mona_b
April 27th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Now that's a good idea Luba...Then they will know why she is being "bashed"

NOOOOOOOO anita,I didn't mean you....LOL..

rescuekitty
April 28th, 2004, 12:30 AM
Go ahead... tell them about this thread. They know that my cat is a barn cat. And that she had the first two kittens under a piece of sheet metal where she thought was safest for her. They also know that I brought her into my sunroom and warmed up the first two kittens while helping her deliver the others. They also know that I helped the last of the litter to start breathing as she was limp and not breathing when born. They know I only found her because I went looking for her to check on her at 1am! They know I spent all night with her and didn't go to bed until 6am or later!! So I have a barn cat, and an outdoor dog. Big deal!! They are both well loved and spoiled rotten. Just because they sleep somewhere else, doesn't matter. It's when they're awake and playing with me, and running about and having fun being free around the farm that matters.
So hey, you wanna go tell everyone that I'm supposedly a cruel and inhumane person, go ahead. I know the truth, and that is ALL that matters!

rescuekitty
April 28th, 2004, 12:44 AM
By the way, I don't advocate that all animals should be outdoors. I just think that not all of them need to be indoors either... I agree that animals with little or no hair or those that are not in good health etc. should not be outside.
Rebuilding my barn for my other animals and feeding and letting them outside everyday, what was I thinking?? I should keep them in!! And as far as my cat... I mean, adopting my cat from a place that had tons and tons of cats to bring her home where she could get tons more attention for both her and her kittens..wow..I must have been out of my mind.. Instead of letting them grow up feral, I am finding them good homes. Wow, Am I EVER out of my mind!
Does that not sound crazy to you??? That's basically what you guys are telling me!

MBRA518
April 28th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Your correlation between domesticated animals (cats/dogs) in comparison to barn yard animals (donkeys/goats/horses) is ridiculous.

Is it??? How do you know, have you owned any of those animals? I have and I can tell you that I love my Horses as much as my dog or cat...

Both my dog and cat to live indoors, but my family has had outdoor cats and dog over the years and all were very loved and happy. Some breeds to not lend themselves to being outdoor animals, but many do.

I have horses as well and i can tell you that it is the same in the horse world, there are many different ways of caring for and loving an animal... YOUR way is NOT the only way. To try and make this poor girl feel bad because she has taken in 2 animals that she loves, plays with and provides for because it is not how YOU would look after them is absurd. Many animals are happy outside, just because it is different doesn't mean it is wrong. some of you people need to step down off your soap boxes and realize that there are many ways to look after an animal. This girl was on another board looking for the best place to have her barns cats (that she rescued) spayed ... which is over and above what most barn owners do... she has also rescued that horse from a slaughter house because she is a caring pet owner with only concern for these animals in mind. So maybe you can all think about those things before you start telling a person who takes in unfortunate animals that she should give them up so someone can love them right (the way you would)... when was the last time you walked into a shelter, there are many animals in there that would love to have this girl care for them, indoors or out... Think of that!

ladybug01
April 28th, 2004, 07:56 AM
I was just reading that someone kept their dog in a crate in their house while they were away, and this is better? :confused: I am so sure that my animals would rather be locked up in a 'cell' all day then outside.
So that means that all cats and dogs should be kept inside? even my neighbours police dog has its own kennel that it stays in :eek: outside.

MBRA518
April 28th, 2004, 08:16 AM
I was just reading that someone kept their dog in a crate in their house while they were away, and this is better? :confused: I am so sure that my animals would rather be locked up in a 'cell' all day then outside.
So that means that all cats and dogs should be kept inside? even my neighbours police dog has its own kennel that it stays in :eek: outside.

Exactly - I see those crates and shutter, I would never do that to my dog - but I've seen many people use that method - and the dogs don't seem worse for wear, so I see no problem with other people using them.... but they are not for me.
My mother keeps her dog outside when she is away from home - OMG that dog it "forced" outside in her insulated heated dog house - the horror! Mind you this dog is a special needs dog that has been through 2 surgeries and on meds for her life and her other dog was on 3 years of chemo before being put down at twice her expected age - but according to these people my mother is a horrible dog owner who should give her dogs up to the kennel too I suppose - OMG she also has 3 rescued kittens living in the barn too - all with proper vet care and they are all fixed - at her expense - but oh what a horrible person she must be!... give me a break!

Green Acres
April 28th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Wow/what a major load of crap this read has been :(

I've got three aussie/border collie ranch dogs and 2 of them would sooner lay down and die than live in the house....only one of them actually prefers to sleep on the floor by my bed at night. I've seen folks who have "outside" dogs which are thoroughly deserving, in my opinion, of all the angry comments, and possibly even more, that have been made here regarding those who keep them outside on a regular basis. These would be those who live out their lives from the end of a chain, or in small runs, that are sheltered and fed to keep their good health but have had little experience with receiving the love and attention that is deserving of a family member....which is exactly what our "pets" are to us/they are all our "kids" so to speak. BUT to make a blanket statement, as a few have, that all dogs/cats prefer to live indoors as opposed to out is nothing more than a bunch of ignorant babble and worse yet to openly criticise someone for allowing their dog(s)/cat(s)(and other pets as be the case)and making it out to be a case of cruelty is beyond comprehension...........and any and all who fall into this mode of ignorant thought should not only be ashamed of yourselves but should try to get out a bit more/it's a big world out there/life and knowledge doesn't stop at your own front door....fanatics the lot of them/sheesh. :mad:

You know after reading this I sat here and looked at my dogs and wondered "Hmmm.....are you two outies brain damaged or something?" LOL.....well they ARE full of personality and are definately unique individuals(best damn dogs I've ever had!) BUT there's not a thing wrong with them for prefering to be outdoors and there's not a damn thing wrong with me for allowing them to. One likes to sleep in the bed of the pickup(he thinks it's HIS truck), the other can always be found on the kitchen porch(he's the family "sentinal"/you can see the main road and all the driveway from there), and then we have the family "love bug" who isn't happy unless she's under foot 24/7 and her nose is no further than scratching distance from you at all times and so of course she'd be the little beastie that likes to sleep by and under my bed. All three are well loved and very happy living exactly as they want to/where they have chosen to bunkie down each night has been by THEIR choice. When we've got pups and/or kittens they always start out life indoors as we've got far to many predators out in this area who a nice fat pup or kitty would be a delightful meal for but as they mature and start finding their way around the ranch they tend to carve out their own little niche and grow into having their own individual habits and likes and dislikes.....as well as they determine whether they are to be an outdoor or indoor pet.

The cats we have are a necessary part of our ranch and family as they serve a double purpose being both pets and rodant deterents.....and it so happens that I am VERY allergic to them and as such I appreciate the fact that they enjoy ruling the feedbarn. The dogs are working dogs as well as much loved and treasured pets and they not only give us the very best of themselves each and every day out in the fields working the livestock but when works' done they bring much joy to our hearts. You best believe there's not an outing we go to where the dogs aren't included. If we go out with the horses the dogs are there. Go into town the dogs hop in the truck. We do ANYTHING the dogs are always present, accounted for, and having a good time. The two that happen to choose to live the bulk of their lives outdoors are just as happy as our little indoor girl is. The cats are barn cats and as such that is their domain, it's where they feel they belong, and they are not the half wild cats some folks think barn cats are/they are very friendly, healthy, and happy.....and they are not at any point going to be invited into my house due to allergies and my love for my families generations old passed down antiques....and any of you so called animal lovers who find that statement offensive well just you go and be all hetted up and offended/it's just common sense and personal preference and there's not one damn thing wrong with it. We actually put a woodstove in the feedbarn which we burn in during the colder season to keep it warm and comfy in there out of concern for their well being and comfort.....so yeah gees I guess since we let them live out there we don't care about them right? What a crock.

You want to whine and snivel over how bad some cats have it why don't you look to those who keep them in breadbox sized apartments with no freedom ever. A few folks here mention about how THEY(dogs/cats)were never asked or given a choice.....well how fricken hypocritical are some of you? Do you really think if it was up to the dogs and cats they'd all prefer to live out their lives in a dinky apartment? If they'd been allowed the freedom to choose their destinies do you seriously think they'd all prefer a litter box in your bathroom over a yard of green lawn? A scratching post to fresh smelling woody trees? A toy mouse to the real deal? Those of you who have a large enough place to afford your pets the choice to be either out or indoors at their leisure are certainly entitled to your opinions.....but those of you who are stuck in apartments and have forced YOUR choice on them to make them soley indoor pets haven't got a leg to stand on in this assinine half baked debate with a woman who evidentally not only has an abiding effection for her pets but also has the love to rescue animals that in all likelyhood would have ultimately otherwise been destroyed. It kills me to see so many point their fat little fingers at this woman because SHE has made a choice about how her animals live....and yet none of you see how YOU have made those same kinds of choices for your own just different ones. To those who say HER way is not the only way or necessarily the best well right back at you/just who in the hell do some of you hypocrites think you are?

Well after reading how this thread has deteriorated I rather doubt many, or maybe even any, will agree with me, my views, and possibly in how "I" choose to live with my animals.....and I couldn't care less. The reason I posted this wasn't to gain anyone's approval......... nor am I inexperienced enough to think it will give many of you cause to think before you judge/I know how hypocrites think and while honestly it would be refreshing to see someone open their eyes enough to acknowledge that not all outdoor pets are neglected or treated as second class citizens yada yada yada I really don't expect that much out of most/that could be a bit to much to hope for. I'm not looking to be offensive or defensive/just telling it how it is........and if you get all wadded up over anyone having a different philosophy from your own then all I've got to say to that is get over yourself.

:cool:

chico2
April 28th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Wow,some powerful comments :eek:
Having no experience in living on a farm,I can understand your reasoning and also that we have not been entirely fair to "rescuekitty".
But there are out-door dogs and then there are neglected unloved, outdoor dogs.There are barn-cats allowed to breed at will only to add to the thousands of unwanted cats in shelters and many posters here have a lot of experience with sad dogs/cats in shelters and seeing them being put down as not adoptable :(
Not everyone are as concerned about their"out-door"pets as you,I do believe Rescue-kitty is doing what she can for her animals,whether we all agree with her methods or not and I am wishing her and the mom cat and kittens all the best,hopefully the cat will be spayed to prevent any more kittens to be born under a piece of sheet-metal :)

MBRA518
April 28th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Thank god... a resonable voice! ;)

I agree, there are many "outdoor" dogs that are not properly cared for... but many are - there are also many indoor dogs that are not walked, and horror stories of dogs being kept in and forced to live in thier own feces.... there are extreames everywhere, it doesnot make people who keep dogs outdoors or indoors bad... it just means that there are some sick and unknowing or uncaring people in this world.

As for the cat "deciding" to try and have her kittens under a piece of sheet metal... my god people get off it... it is not as if she forced the cat out there - most will chose to give birth in the hay (very warm) but some animals make strange choices, the fact is that the cat was helped and everyone is fine - that to me shows good animal ownership and concern.

Lucky Rescue
April 28th, 2004, 10:07 AM
I really don't think we are talking about working and herding dogs living on ranches who have jobs to do - at least they are not the dogs I'm talking about. These dogs are doing what they were bred and born to do and have full and satisfying lives.

I'm talking about people who keep their dogs confined in pens and garages (in cities and suburbs) for most of their lives. These dogs sit in solitary confinement all day while their owners work, and if they are lucky they might get 20 minutes of exercise when the owner has time. Then back into the pen for the night. They are treated like garden tools that are stored when not in use (which is most of the time)

This is no life for any dog and IS inhumane, as dogs are highly social animals. Actually, it's inhumane for any creature, which is why solitary confinement is considered harsh punishment for human prisoners. The main difference is that the dogs didn't commit any crime to deserve this.:(

rescuekitty
April 28th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Chico-> Did I EVER give you the impression that I owned a "neglected, unloved, outdoor dog"?? :confused: I don't think I did...
Did I not specify from the get-go that I was having my cat spayed as soon as possible?? :confused: And that I had gotten her from a friend (who does not spay or neuter at all!)to help DECREASE the unwanted pet population by SPAYING AND NEUTERING her offspring?! And if I cannot find good homes for those animals, AFTER they are spayed and neutered, then I will be keeping them...
And As MBRA518 said, Excuse me, But have you ever been able to convince a cat to have her kittens exactly where you wanted them? I don't think it's an easy task, expecially having just brought her home only a couple of weeks ago! She was not even used to her surroudings yet, and was more comfortable in somewhere dark and cozy... That was her choice, not mine!! If in fact I had "forced" her out there, I would not have been checking on her at 1am!! :eek: I would not have brought her and the two first born kittens into the sunroom and warmed them up!! :eek: I would not have stayed with her all night to make sure they were all okay!! :eek: If doing all that makes me an unloving pet owner in your eyes, then so be it. My animals are my life... They eat before I eat, and sleep before I sleep... Just because they live outside makes that no different!!

bluequeen
April 28th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Well I definitely have to give my props to Chico for allowing to see a different point of view. I think it is disgusting how some of these people have reacted to rescuekitty. She provides nothing but an excellent home for her animals, and yes it is quite possible they prefer outdoors to in. It is quite understandable that her dog prefers to be outdoors, some dogs do and others don't. Obviously she wouldn't go and stick a chiwawa to live outdoors but she already said that..some people obviously don't care to read the entirety of her posts. As for her cat, there are many many barn cats out there and alot of them love it. What is better then being able to roam free and play all day. Maybe her cat started to have kittens under some sheet of metal or whatever but she did the right thing and moved them, it's not like she would have known where she was going to go, and cats like to be alone and away from everything generally, when they go into labour. Not only did she do the right thing but she also saved a helpless kitten..can you not see that she OBVIOUSLY loves her animals like crazy..rescuekitty..in my books you are an awesome animal mother and I wouldn't even worry about what these people have to say about you or how you take care of them. :D

rescuekitty
April 28th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Thanks Bluequeen... I know I have nothing to prove to anyone, but I just feel like I need to stand up for myself for some reason. But thank you!! You made my day! :D

MBRA518
April 28th, 2004, 10:22 AM
I really don't think we are talking about working and herding dogs living on ranches who have jobs to do - at least they are not the dogs I'm talking about. These dogs are doing what they were bred and born to do and have full and satisfying lives.

I'm talking about people who keep their dogs confined in pens and garages (in cities and suburbs) for most of their lives. These dogs sit in solitary confinement all day while their owners work, and if they are lucky they might get 20 minutes of exercise when the owner has time. Then back into the pen for the night. They are treated like garden tools that are stored when not in use (which is most of the time)

This is no life for any dog and IS inhumane, as dogs are highly social animals. Actually, it's inhumane for any creature, which is why solitary confinement is considered harsh punishment for human prisoners. The main difference is that the dogs didn't commit any crime to deserve this.:(

If that "is" your point - why were you attacking RK? She does live on a farm... her dog is not confined...

But on that, is it any better or worse for those dogs to be left in the house alone? I have a dog and a cat so they are not alone when I have to work but that is not a luxery everyone has. So should a person that can't have a pet in the house and not be with them for company all the time not have a pet at all... even if they can provide good care and love? Have you been to a shelter? any of those dogs would rather a life with any "responsible" pet owner and be outdoor pet.

Do you stay home with your pets all the time, to make sure they are not lonely? Must be nice to have that luxury!

Pitcin
April 28th, 2004, 10:35 AM
I'm talking about people who keep their dogs confined in pens and garages (in cities and suburbs) for most of their lives. These dogs sit in solitary confinement all day while their owners work,

I have been chewing my lip not responding to this crazy argument. However, the above comment was made and I needed to respond.

For shame I am one of the above quoted people. I have a dog, 2 cats, a guinea pig and 2 horses. Yes I work, I am also a single mother who does not get a dime of support from anyone. My animals are very well cared for, all have been sexualy altered, except the guinea pig, and they all have food, warmth and water, yes even milk...again for shame...feeding milk to cats. I would challenge ONE of you posters to come and visit at anytime during a 24 hour period and find my animals neglected or unhappy.

Get off your high horses and worry about the cats that are running around and being caught by people only to be skinned alive or used as a sacrifice, or the dogs which are used for hunting and then left in the wild after the season ends. I think you get my point!!!!!!!!

chico2
April 28th, 2004, 10:48 AM
I would also like to add my 2-cents about outdoor cats.Since most of us here are not lucky enough to live on a farm,indoor cats are are almost always the only choice,I 've seen many and they are happy well adjusted cats.
Life-expectansy for"out-door cats"is about 5yrs,while indoor cats can live 20+happy years.
My own 3 cats,do go outside,but only in my backyard with me and are always more than happy to go back inside and lucky for me,in -15C they only stick there paws outside and that's it and in extreme heat and humidity,they so prefer a cool house.
The city streets is no place for a cat,but that should not keep cat-lovers from having cats and indoors will have to be the only alternative other than being scraped off the street.Luckily I have big fenced backyard and my cats can climb trees,eat grass and whatever else they want to do,under my watchful eyes.
So,there are pros and cons to every situation :)

chico2
April 28th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Yes,I am one of the fortunate ones staying home with my animals...the going to work bit :eek: been there done that :D

rescuekitty
April 28th, 2004, 10:56 AM
So Chico, May I ask why you were bashing me so much if there are "pros and cons to every situation?"
I'd also like to add that although I don't know the exact age of my cat, she is somewhere between 8-10 years I believe. And she's been an barn cat all her life! And I know many of the other cats at my friend's place are just as old or older. I know one there is about 17. And they are all happy and healthy(Although I would have chosen to have them spayed and neutered to avoid more babies, but she's not me...).
I'm glad you never have a chance to get out and leave your poor animals all alone :D

Sibeowner
April 28th, 2004, 11:11 AM
:) Over the years I have owned and LOVED, several dogs who just coudn't handle being in the house. One such dog was a rough collie by the name of Missy. We tried on several occaisions to bring her in, but she whined,scratched at the door and then started to howl. Our dogs had lovely insulated dog houses to climb into, filled with straw, and with a blanket stappled over the door way to keep out the wind. More times then not, on really blustery, blizardly days, the dogs would curl up beside the house instead of in it. We fed them a mixture of kibble, goats milk, and cooked oatmeal. They were healthy, happy and robust. My current dog, a siberian husky, prefers to remain outside and will sit at the back door begging to go out....the only reason we bring her in at night is that on two occasisions someone tried to steal her from our yard. Does this mean I love my dogs less then anyone else? NO! And you can talk to my veterinarian to see just how healthy and happy my dogs have been over the years!

For folks who live on farms, barn cats live in the barn....where they keep down the ammount of rodents in the area, thus providing a valuable service to their owners. Our barn cats are fed and watered every day, they are up to date on vaccines, and they are spayed/neutered.

Some animals just prefer the out of doors!

jess-mcbess
April 28th, 2004, 11:14 AM
I agree with rescuekitty. I have allergies to most animal dander, and although I have many now I couldn't before because we couldn't afford to have hardwood put throughout our house. We weren't made of money. Now I have my own place with hardwood floors, and love my puppy. She is a half indoor/half outdoor dog. She gets mad if she's inside for too long and it's not because we don't spend time walking her and playing with her. She goes for at least one long walk a day and we play for at least 3 hours.
I have a horse, and although she doesn't live at my house (i don't have a barn on my property yet) she's still a part of my family. I see her every day, and spend hours "playing" with her. She loves it, but there's no way she could come into my house. I'm sure she'd love too (she follows me like a puppy) but I'm not bringing her inside. Just because she doesn't live in my house doesn't mean that she's not part of my family.
I don't agree with cruel animal treatment, but living outside, in a barn (or animal house) with food and water isn't cruel as long as there's someone spending time with them, and LOVING them. As long as the basics are there, and there's someone loving them, playing with them, what's the problem? It's not like rescuekitty is leaving her dog out there to die, and I'm sure if anything were wrong with any of her animals, they would all be rushed to the vets, or a vet would be called to come and see what's wrong.
I don't think that people with different opinions should be so rude. You're looking down on someone for the way that they treat their animals...which is with love, caring, and understanding. If you're so moved about someone that's being good to her animals, why don't you focus all that effort onto an animal that needs your help!

Lucky Rescue
April 28th, 2004, 11:36 AM
If you're so moved about someone that's being good to her animals, why don't you focus all that effort onto an animal that needs your help!

I believe I do my little part to help those in need, if 87 cats and dogs rescued and adopted out since last August means anything. I would do more if I could.

If that "is" your point - why were you attacking RK? She does live on a farm... her dog is not confined...

I think you are confused. I never directed one comment to rescuekitty about her dog. I know nothing about it, and she keeps changing her story about the cat. She was initially adamant that this 9 yr old cat was to have her kittens outside in freezing weather, because she "likes it."

My point is that not everything animals "like" is what is good for them. Would you let your dog roam the street tearing open and eating garbage? I'm sure he would love to do it.

And the barn cats I've seen were anything but "healthy and happy". They were ridden with parasites, having one litter after another, malnourished, injured from fights and all intact. We have trapped, neutered and treated MANY of them.

mona_b
April 28th, 2004, 11:53 AM
We are not talking about working farm/ranch dogs.

I grew up on my Aunts farm.Well sort of.I spent my weekends and summers there.And I am still a country girl at heart.My aunt raised 5 Great Danes,A Newfie and a St.Bernard.Had Horses,Cows,and Chickens.These were NOT working dogs.But ALL 7 dogs slept indoors at night.And these are large dogs.Yes they spent alot of time outside.But so did we.The front door was always open during the day.So they went in and out as they pleased.

My sister is on a farm with 3 Huskies and a Border Collie.Yes the BC does work.She helps with the cows.But she does not stay outside 24/7..A cat that she had never seen gave birth in the barn.

Yes,if a pup is raised ONLY outdoors,then it will not be to happy being indoors.BUT,they can slowly be brought indoors.She kept this dog outside from the age of 3 months.And it is now 10 years old.

ladybug01.One of my dogs is a retired police dog.He was my brothers partner.He lived in the house as part of the family.Tron never lived outside in a kennel.Same goes for his new partner.These are working dogs.But when the shift is over.They are pets and part of the family.And sleep in a cozy warm house.

As for the comment about going to a shelter.A shelter will NOT let you adopt out an animal,especially if it's a dog that will live outside 24/7....So no,they will not be happy to adopt out to rescuekitty.And that I have seen being done at the shelter.A few people tried to adopt.But when they said the dog was going to live outside,they were denied the adoption.

And I would rather have my dogs alone in the house,then alone outside.

MBRA518
April 28th, 2004, 11:55 AM
IAnd the barn cats I've seen were anything but "healthy and happy". They were ridden with parasites, having one litter after another, malnourished, injured from fights and all intact. We have trapped, neutered and treated MANY of them.

Well... bravo and thank your for your rescue efforts.... that is wonderful... but considering that you do rescue cats and such, it is not at all surprizing that your only experiance with barn cats has been what it has.... the ones that are well cared for and healthy do not need rescuing and if rescue is your only reason to encounter barn cats (many of the rest of us posting have horses - barn cats are a normal thing) you would never see the happy health ones.

But you need to realize that... your experiance is not the norm. Many if not most barn cats are happy and healthy.. and most are rescues of a sort - many people dump their unwanted house cats at a barn.... that's where most of ours came from.

My point here is everyone was quite harsh on this thread and most of it is from and uneducated/unexperianced view... you can not use your experiance of seeing rescue barn kittys as your source of info on all outdoor animals.

Green Acres
April 28th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Lucky Rescue you just won yourself an open invitation to our barn. We don't have any animals, small that is, that aren't fixed. My neighbors and I have more problems with irresponsible city cat owners not spaying their cats and dumping them in trashbags out on our country roads than we do with our own cats. As the cities are all to quickly moving into our country areas we also have a huge problem with greenhorns (city folks) moving out here thinking that if you own any kind of acreage you can have all the animals you want and just let them run wild...dogs and cats both. The cats that are dumped make me want to throttle the owners for their cruelty...and the dogs that are abandoned out here saddens me even more so as often times they are eventually shot for attacking livestock as they try to survive out here on their own....just a real tragedy for them all one way or another. I personally hate seeing what the term "barn cat" has now been transposed into meaning. The "barn cats" you are talking about are more than likely NOT actual barn cats. Also we've got 2 cats in their teens and as I don't think we are unique I have to wonder at how someone in here determined that a "barn cat" had a life expectancy of around 5 years/that doesn't seem to be the norm for us. "Barn cat" has become somewhat a cliche' these days I guess and is probably 90% of the time used improperly. Seems most times when I see an ad for someone giving out free kittens they call them "Free Barn Cats" as I'm guessing they are under the misconception that somehow a barn cat requires less attention and care than a normal cat...which of course is just bull. We don't have any "fad" barn cats....our cats ARE barn cats.

The problem we have today with there being an overflux and hence need to put down so many dogs and cats each year isn't because of city people, and it isn't because of us ranchers either, what it IS is a direct result from irresponsible pet owners and there are no geographical boundries to where they happen to live/they can be found everywhere. Most times when we've had visitors they tend to comment on how our animals live better than most people do/they want to come live with us.....LOL.....so lets not generalize and unfairly descriminate against barn cats huh?

Pitcin
April 28th, 2004, 12:06 PM
"if 87 cats and dogs rescued and adopted out since last August means anything"

I think that is fantastic! If you have rescued and adopted out 87 dogs and cats from neglect, abandonment or malnurishment, if you have rescued dogs and cats from homes such as rescuekitties I feel bad for the owners.

I had a kitten once that was not litter trained. I phoned the vet, shelters, anyone I could, to seek advise on how to train him. I made one fatal call to an animal rescue group. I did not know it was a rescue group because they hid under a legit name. The woman I dealt with was ready to come and take my cat home...to put in her garage...until it learned to use the litter. I refused. I had to threaten this woman with harrasement before she left me alone, she was accusing me of all sorts of awful things. My cat, bless his heart, lived to be 8 years old, and passed on 2 months ago due to heart disease, to the day he died he still had accidents. I could have had him put to sleep because he was a "dirty cat", I could have sent him to live in a garage with a crazed woman, but no, I loved him and tolerated his shortcoming in life.

This little story is only menat to represent some of the rescuers bad judgment. Had I handed my cat over, what would his fait have been? I can only assume that he would have lived out his days in a cold garage punished, by a so called animal lover, for his shortcoming.

MBRA518
April 28th, 2004, 12:06 PM
We are not talking about working farm/ranch dogs.
Yes,if a pup is raised ONLY outdoors,then it will not be to happy being indoors.BUT,they can slowly be brought indoors.She kept this dog outside from the age of 3 months.And it is now 10 years old.

Buy why would you want to slowly bring the dog in if it was happy outside??? your are referring to what YOU want... not the dog - there is a big difference there.

As for the comment about going to a shelter.A shelter will NOT let you adopt out an animal,especially if it's a dog that will live outside 24/7....So no,they will not be happy to adopt out to rescuekitty.And that I have seen being done at the shelter.A few people tried to adopt.But when they said the dog was going to live outside,they were denied the adoption.

Not all shelters are the same... the ones I helped in (all SPCA) did not have that rule... however that was not my comment... my comment was that the dog would be happier with a loving outdoor home. Many of those dogs in shelters everywhere are distroyed every year just because no home can be found and there is not enough space to keep them all - I would personally rather see those dogs go to loving, responsible outdoor homes.

I agree a dog on a short chain 24/7 is cruel... but I don't think it cruel to be on a chain for short periods of time (my mom's dog is because she would not respect the collar fence and she lives near a busy highway), nor to I think it cruel for them to be outside 24/6 loose - be it on a farm or in a good sized contained area (only to be kept from harm). JMO you are welcome to yours... but I think it is wrong to berate a loving animal owner because her views are not yours.

bluequeen
April 28th, 2004, 12:59 PM
And the barn cats I've seen were anything but "healthy and happy". They were ridden with parasites, having one litter after another, malnourished, injured from fights and all intact. We have trapped, neutered and treated MANY of them.

Like MRBA518 said obviously if you are working to rescue animals then obviously you are going to see the bad cases. I have ridden for 10+ years and seen my fair share of barn cats..and not one of them was how you described it. They were taken care of as family members, fixed, vaccinations..the whole shibang. And as for your other comment about what dogs 'like' regardless it is QUITE POSSIBLE that they choose to be outside. Maybe your animals don't but some do, and on a farm with lots of room to play around..why not? You raise your animals however the heck you want to and rescuekitty will do the same. She is not doing anything wrong so I don't see why you won't just drop it!!

And Mona_b obviously you didn't read her post properly..her dog is not alone outside, he has the other animals to play with as well as her and her family. And why would you rather keep a dog all cooped up in a house by himself when he can be outside playing around..May as well just stick him in a cage if you're going to do that all day.

Luba
April 28th, 2004, 01:22 PM
I've been gut busting laughing at all the 'new members' who just so happen to show up to support rescue kitty.

Coincidental? Probably not!

Now one of you made reference as to whether or not I ever had non domesticated animals. And as a matter of fact I spent my summers in the countryside of Nova Scotia with chickens, annoying roosters lol, cows, horses, ducks, a couple of goats and even a few pigs to boot.

I should think I know the difference.

Domestication vs non domestication

I can see the difference
can you see the difference?

Lucky Rescue
April 28th, 2004, 01:34 PM
I've been gut busting laughing at all the 'new members' who just so happen to show up to support rescue kitty.

;)

They must also all live in Utopia if all the barn cats are spayed and neutered, healthy and happy! That would be funny if the reality weren't so sad.

Pitcin
April 28th, 2004, 01:38 PM
"I've been gut busting laughing at all the 'new members' who just so happen to show up to support rescue kitty."

Gotta' start somewhere...why not support a friend. :rolleyes:

MBRA518
April 28th, 2004, 01:39 PM

Coincidental? Probably not!

Now one of you made reference as to whether or not I ever had non domesticated animals. And as a matter of fact I spent my summers in the countryside of Nova Scotia with chickens, annoying roosters lol, cows, horses, ducks, a couple of goats and even a few pigs to boot.

I should think I know the difference.

Domestication vs non domestication

I can see the difference
can you see the difference?

Well no not much of a coincidence... we all "know" RK from the horses... but that doesn't change my views. I still think that the majority of the posts here to RK were rude, nasty, ignorant and mostly misinformed. I only hope that is not a direct reflection on the people behind the internet handle - but you never know.

That was me mentioning what you consider non domesticated animals... most of which you mentioned were raised for food animals - that's a whole different ball park... I'm referring to large pet animals... ie horses, or anything else you choose to keep as a pet. And if your only experience is having "spend a few summers on a farm" then no - you don't "get it". A horse or pet goat is much different from animals raised on a farm for meat, milk, wool... etc - those animals and their purpose force the owners to not have a close pet relationship with them. Relationships with animals such as horses are as close if not closer than those with dogs and cats - having owned and cared for all of these animals all my life I think I may be in a better position than yourself to "know the difference."

MBRA518
April 28th, 2004, 01:45 PM
;)

They must also all live in Utopia if all the barn cats are spayed and neutered, healthy and happy! That would be funny if the reality weren't so sad.

Like i said Lucky - your experience is not exactly representative. The large stable next to me is owned by a person heavy into cat rescue, she has about 8 happy outdoor barn cats... as well as a barn full (contained for their protection) of feral cats that were rescued from an industrial area - none accept human contact - and therefore could not be found homes, all are well fed and provided for and will be for the rest of their days - to me that is better than distroying them - which is what would happen at a shelter.

mona_b
April 28th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Hello,I think I know the difference.My aunts cows,chickens,horses and dogs were not raised for meals.They were VERY loved and taken care of.And 2 of my cousins were in 4H at the time.

You people all think these dog/cats have a voice and they tell you they love to be outside 24/7.

Why would I want to slowly bring a dog that was rescued indoors if it was raised outdoors?Because that is me.And I want the dog to be a part of my "pack"..Which is the family.Sorry but there is no difference there...Happy outside?yeah like they really are.That's all they know is to be outside day in and day out.Sorry,there is no difference there.

I tell you,if you tried to adopt a dog here at the shelter/SPCA...YOU will not get that dog if you plan on keeping it outside.They are against it.

bluequeen
April 28th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Luba, I don't know how you are with your friends but we stick up for ours..and like MRBA518 said it doesn't change our views on how we feel. With alot of us being horseback riders we see outside animals ALL the TIME!! Not specifically cats and dogs just animals..what are we all cruel for that??

LuckyRescue, I don't think anybody said ALL barn cats were spayed and neutered obviously I am sure there are quite a few who are not..but in our experiences they are and they are also well taken care off..Just because we take care of our animals different then apparently all of you doesn't mean we're stuck in some utopia on how we view the real world..I think both of you need to get off your high horse and maybe give a little bit more respect to someone JUST because they don't do EXACTLY what you do!

Mona_B I'd really like to know when you started speaking to all dogs and cats of this world..Unfortunately unless you are a pet psychic you have no idea what they like and dislike..and like humans all dogs/cats, or whatever type of animals..are different

Pitcin
April 28th, 2004, 02:12 PM
[B]You people all think these dog/cats have a voice and they tell you they love to be outside 24/7.

Ummmmmm???? And the dogs/cats have a voice and they tell us they want in???

And I want the dog to be a part of my "pack"..Which is the family.

B-I-N-G-O "I WANT"

Happy outside?yeah like they really are

Did they "tell" you they weren't?

Come on people...

Green Acres
April 28th, 2004, 02:34 PM
You know with me it's just one of those things where you find a site that interest you, ie fellow good folks who love their animals etc, and even though you've heard it all time and time again for some strange reason one day it just strikes a wrong cord with you and so you feel like you've got to post...and so I have.

I can have an appreciation for the frustration so many surely go through when they work in rescue programs day in and day out...how utterly depressing it must be to see the problem continue and grow and to know that no matter how hard you work there's no end of it in sight...and so I can understand how easy it is to make generalizations and feel justified in doing so....BUT the fact is adamance is by no means an indicant of fact. You tell us about cats that are rescues.....I'm talking about cats and animals we either own ourselves or that our neighbors do....gee which one of us do you think has a better idea about the animals they speak of in this scenario? You with your "educated" guesswork at how they were raised and have spent their lives or those of us who have lived with and personally witnessed the treatment and condition of the animals we speak of?

Utopia? Hmmm...if the town names out here were so significantly historic that might be a nice name chance to consider as I'll be the first to admit that we really do live in a lil slice of heaven....but there's noway the town councils would ever go for it....LOL. Most of us larger land owners have been here since our families settled here after having traveled in for the gold rush and although we do get a certain amount of tourist our population is primarily comprised of only folks we know and have been family friends for in some cases generations.....sans some of the "greenhorns" that I made mention of before/sheesh they are a mixed bag! As such we pretty much all live in each others back pockets so to speak and as many of us still use horses and dogs, and yes cats too(yep those lil barn gremlins we are in such controversy over/gees/lol), for work as much as for our pleasure I'd say it's fair to assume with living such a different type of life style from most who work in rescue situations that our opinions would logically vary somewhat....BUT you have to understand that you can no more assume how things may look to be in your neck of the woods is the same for all over because to do so without any practical real background experience behind you truly is nothing more than simple ignorance. I'm not so blind that I can't see how situations may be different in the world you live in WHICH is why I'm not telling you how it is everywhere.....just here and what is our local experience....so don't you go playing Forest Gump thinking you can tell us how our animals are cared for and be silly enough to assume it won't be commented on. "Utopia" it is not here, and we have our fair share of animal problems which are most commonly involving either wild beast or ferels brought in and dumped from the cities, but for all that no one place is perfect I am happy to embrace the concept of it being a sort of Utopia as it is the best place in the world that I've ever been and shant ever live anyplace else.

Now if we all want to go about with thin skin I suppose I could come back in and spout off about how dare you insult me, and those in living styles like me, by saying I'm a liar...I mean after all if I say how none of our barn cats out here are in the dire straights you say they are, and you insist that those of us who don't see these cats that are supposedly (according to you that is) being so poorly neglected are living in some fantasy world, then one could assume you are essentially stating we are lying....correct? Now the message may have not been intended to come across that way, or it may have...dunno and don't know that I care either way....but the only way for all the tit-for-tat crap to stop will be if people open their minds a bit and can at least grasp the concept that what they personally believe (PERSONALLY BELIEVE) is just that: THEIR PERSONAL BELIEF. You want to substanciate your belief and convince me it's factual then provide me with some kind of tangible proof....and I don't want to hear any clinical stats on how many thousands are put down each year blah blah blah....all that shows is how bad the situation still stands with people refusing to spay and neuter/it has no bearings on specific groups such as barn cats etc. When an animal is dropped off at a shelter anonomously they usually don't come with a diary describing their life story with them/they aren't cabbage patch cats...so what's the deal? Do some of these shelters get farmers walking in their front doors every day telling them about how "barn cat" 1001 needs to be put to sleep because they diodn't bother to spay them etc? Really....do you have any idea just how nuts you sound when you spout off stuff that's so purely a one sided ignorant hypothesis? You want to be able to speak knowledgably about "barn cats", their lives, their owners, etc then you should have first hand experience with them and a lot of it/don't just go and pick and choose through the mess load of BS cliche's that are out there and think you can piece it all together to try and come off as being someone who knows when you don't. I don't mind a difference in opinions.....but I hate charlotons and shams. Our whole existance out here stems from our animals....you want to talk about something you most likely know more about why not lecture me on the pros and cons of blinds versus shades/I am seriously difficient in my knowledge of proper window treatments.....but this crap about how the barn cats are such poorly cared for beast SORRY I can't buy what I know to be horse pucky.

MBRA518
April 28th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Hello,I think I know the difference.My aunts cows,chickens,horses and dogs were not raised for meals.They were VERY loved and taken care of.And 2 of my cousins were in 4H at the time.

You people all think these dog/cats have a voice and they tell you they love to be outside 24/7.

Why would I want to slowly bring a dog that was rescued indoors if it was raised outdoors?Because that is me.And I want the dog to be a part of my "pack"..Which is the family.Sorry but there is no difference there...Happy outside?yeah like they really are.That's all they know is to be outside day in and day out.Sorry,there is no difference there.

I tell you,if you tried to adopt a dog here at the shelter/SPCA...YOU will not get that dog if you plan on keeping it outside.They are against it.
You did not say a rescued dog before... you just said a dog that didn't want to live in.... That's just my point - YOU want it to live in... maybe the dog wouldn't given the right outdoor circumstances - most dogs can be convinced to be happy in or out... that doesn't mean they would be any more or less happy in the other situation. All animals have a voice if you choose to listen. Animals are allowed to speak when you give them choices... some will chose to live outside with proper shelter.

As for whether or not an animal is happy outside depends on the animal... how do you know your animals are happy inside? My house cat would love to go outside... she tries to escape all the time - but I can't let her out as the area I'm in has a lot of animals around and we are close to a train tack.... is she happy being in... most of the time, but she would like to go out, but I don't let her for her safety... I know that is best for her, but she doesn't.

I find it hard to believe that the SPCA would not adopt a dog to a farm or country home where the dog would live out with proper shelter, care and love - I'm not talking about the barking Brutus on the 6ft chain attached to a dog house in a back yard... but loving homes.... sad really considering how many from those shelters are destroyed due to over population. I think it is appalling that "animal lovers" would rather put down a healthy dog than have it go to a loving home, just because they have different views... because effectively that's what happens... may not be that particular dog... but every home lost is another shelter dog that dies.

Green Acres
April 28th, 2004, 02:42 PM
BlueQueen...LOL....Thanks for giving me the best chuckle I've had all moring! Pet Psychic/I love it!...LOL....Maybe it;s time we moved our operation into the future and see if we can hire one on staff and set up an animal resources center for all our livestock....I can imagine some of the complaints....."they keep using the blue halter when they should KNOW I prefer the red...."....lmao. I'm sorry....I don't let my 2 yar old daughter dictate to me how SHE wants to do things....I think when we get to the point where we give our animals more consideration and personal liberties than our children get that's a bit much isn't it?. Pet Psychic/to funny! :p

jess-mcbess
April 28th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Lucky Rescue, I think it's great that you rescue cats and dogs, and my comments weren't directed at you. I'm sorry for not specifying. I was trying to get my point accross to all the people that don't help/rescue animals, but have such a harsh voice against someone who does and gives them a loving home.
Although I agree with there being many owners that don't "fix" their dogs/cats (which I don't agree with, unless the animal is for breeding) I don't agree with them not practicing safety precautions. We don't need anymore unwanted animals running around in the world getting neglected or abused. I don't think it's fair. I don't however think that RK is one of those "mean" owners. She seems to take great care of her rescued animals, and if they're happy that's all that matters. I rescued a puppy and she prefers to be outside. If she's in she gets anxious and barks and scratches at the door. I don't force her to stay inside or go outside. It's her choice. I have also owned dogs that don't really like going outside except for walks, and doing their business.
Some shelters do let barn people rescue dogs/cats even if they are going to be living outdoors. Not everybody thinks that animals should all live inside.
For those of you I have offended, I'm sorry but I don't think it's fair to be so mean to a loving and caring "mom" just because she does things differently than you. It's like a mom that bottle feeds her baby against a mother who breast feeds. One is slightly better, but you shouldn't look down on someone because of their decision. Oh, and who knows which is better. A bottle feeder will tell you her way, and a breast feeder will tell you different. Just because they're doing things differently doesn't mean that one child is being neglected or not loved does it? :confused:

bluequeen
April 28th, 2004, 03:03 PM
BlueQueen...LOL....Thanks for giving me the best chuckle I've had all moring! Pet Psychic/I love it!...LOL....Maybe it;s time we moved our operation into the future and see if we can hire one on staff and set up an animal resources center for all our livestock....I can imagine some of the complaints....."they keep using the blue halter when they should KNOW I prefer the red...."....lmao. I'm sorry....I don't let my 2 yar old daughter dictate to me how SHE wants to do things....I think when we get to the point where we give our animals more consideration and personal liberties than our children get that's a bit much isn't it?. Pet Psychic/to funny! :p

Hahaha..thanks to you too..I love the blue halter/red halter...or here's a good one what about rolling in the mud right after a bath...'but she knows better then that..now I'm going to have to ask her why she did that' LMAO!!!! :)

Susie Q
April 28th, 2004, 03:23 PM

Actually, this isn't completely true. The barn where I keep my horse, has adopted cats to specifically be barn cats. They've even had the SPCA call the owners too ask if they'd be interested in adopting two more! (which they did)
These cats are spayed and neutered and happy as clams. And as for whoever said that the average barn cats lives approx. 5 years, these cats range between 7 and 15 years old, and show no signs of slowing down. They are all fed regularly and have warm places to go should the weather be less than pleasant.

This is a horse barn, and the horses live out for the majority of the day, but they would probably be just as happy being out 24/7. This is not cruel at all, they are some of the fattest happiest horses I have ever seen. I see no difference between livestock and dogs/cats living outdoors, as someone weakly tried to argue.... As long as they are fed, watered, and have shelter and the right physical health and "attributes" (i.e. coat, etc.) to help deal with the elements, they should be fine.

I myself prefer to keep my dogs indoors, because we don't have a fenced yard, and we have neighbours close by. I however have an open - mind, unlike 95% of this BB, and realize that there are many ways to raise animals to be happy and healthy.

I commend those who have come to the aid of RescueKitty, what are we in public school? Do we all need to gang up on one person to make ourselves feel like only we can be right, and therfore everyone else is borderline retarded?

Everyone who seems to think that "our animals can't tell us that they like it outside, therefore they must be kept inside".... REALLY???? What kind of lame - ass arguement is that?? You didn't talk to them did you? did you sit down with them as puppies/kittens, and have a little discussion with them? because I'm pretty sure that they didn't tell you that they wanted to be stuck inside with you either.

Get off your pedestals, and open your minds, it's quite obvious who the city - people are with the "well, I drove past a farm once, so I must know know what it's like to live/work on a farm, and raise farm animals." THERE ARE MANY WAYS TO RAISE AN ANIMAL, YOURS MIGHT NOT BE THE ONLY WAY, so get over yourselves....

Pitcin
April 28th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Just to add to the 24/7 horse turnout.

I have a 35 year old pony mare that flat out refuses to go into a stall. She will plant her feet and will not budge, once she is inside she is very restless and will pace the entire time she is stalled.

I also have a 9 year old gelding who was put in a stall once...and he came out...all by himself, from a dead standstill he jumped the door. He drew blood on his hind legs and gashed himself just above his eye, yes the vet was called, this all happened because he could not stand to be confined.

Both animals have great winter coats, I blanket them on the cold days, they have shelter, water and free hay all day and night.

Now am I wrong? Should I confine these lovely animals to the stall because I don't like being cold therefore they don't like it either? Or should I stall them and have my gelding continue to gash himself open and have my mare go into a tizzy? (This of course is a no brainer...for most of us anyway).

Luba
April 28th, 2004, 03:58 PM
I find it absolutely hillarious that someone would tell their friends
'oh come help me on this mesg board' especially if someone is an adult.
This is more teenage behaviour (Mona u relate lol)

I've have had my share of disagreements with people but I don't need a posse to help me make my OWN opinions known.

Rescuekitty if you find the need to have others accept and support you thats your business. From an outside perspective and I know I"m not alone here..it looks so very desperate and pathetic.

Dogs and cats have been forced over the years to be turned domesticated through breeding. You people some how think with your knowledge or lack thereof that you can suddenly undomesticate pets that have been domesticated for hundreds of years (now thousands actually).

It seems to make people 'feel better ' to have others agree with them. Where I could stand alone, stand proud and strong in my beliefs because they are good and fair and just.

There is strength in numbers yes, but simply because others agree does not make it right.

I can walk around a community and find dozens of people who would take either side. I can go through shelters and find hunting dogs lost/dumped/abused and neglected/sick and injured from living outdoors.
I can find cats so full of ticks and fleas they can barely move...again from living outdoors.

I'm happy there are others that agree with me and take the same stand I do, atleast there is some hope for the lovely souls...there are some that love and cherish them enough to have them part of their family.

mona_b
April 28th, 2004, 04:28 PM
AMEN Luba...

Yes I can definately relate to the teenage behaviour Luba...LOL

At least my 17 year old daughter doesn't need to call in a posse to fight her battles when she has it out with someone.Or say I'm going to get my mommy.

Notice she has nothing to say now?

Sorry,we are not talking about horses.

Missy
April 28th, 2004, 04:45 PM
So, let me get this straight - this is a thread that started out about a cat licking earlobes and it came to this? As much as I would rather not continue this thread, I just have to throw my two cents in here and say OMG!

As great as it is to have new members join, I totally agree with Luba. So, you get all of your friends to join up (all on the same day and each posting within minutes of each other....hmmm, glad that I wasn't the only one who was suspicious of that one) and rant and rave because you have a different opinion? Maybe you think you are expressing yourself but it definitely comes off like an attack. This is a forum for responsible pet owners to share advice, opinions, and support - not a place to blast people because they don't support your views.

The nasty and sarcastic comments that you have been throwing at Mona, Chico, LR, Luba and everyone else who disagrees with you is completely unnecessary, uncalled for, and indicates a definite lack of maturity. Any negative comment that they may have had is clearly a result of concern for the well-being and safety of the animals, not petty meanness. I can't speak for those of you who are all new but I can tell you, as an outside observer who had not participated in this thread, that they dedicate their lives to helping pet owners to care for their animals and protect helpless animals who are unable to do it for themselves. Whether or not you agree with their opinion, the least that you can do is give them the much deserved respect for their efforts.

So there. My two cents.

Pitcin
April 28th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Please forgive my ignorance, I thought animals were animals be it horses, cats or dogs, as my memory recalls horses have been mentioned numerous times in this thread. Did I perhaps make a point and you are to above it to take note or even acknowledge it was a point well made?

Let's try it this way then, shall we:

Just to add to the 24/7 cat/dog turnout.

I have a 35 year old cat that flat out refuses to go inside. She will plant her feet and will not budge, once she is inside she is very restless and will pace the entire time she is in.

I also have a 9 year old dog who was put inside once...and he came right back out...all by himself, from a dead standstill he jumped the door. He drew blood on his hind legs and gashed himself just above his eye, yes the vet was called, this all happened because he could not stand to be confined.

Both animals have great winter coats, I blanket them on the cold days, they have shelter, water.

Now am I wrong? Should I confine these lovely animals to the great indoors because I don't like being cold therefore they don't like it either? Or should I stall them and have my dog continue to gash himself open and have my cat go into a tizzy? (This of course is a no brainer...for most of us anyway).

bluequeen
April 28th, 2004, 04:52 PM
I
There is strength in numbers yes, but simply because others agree does not make it right.

Are you listening to what you are saying?? You are right in the sense that just cause others agree doesn't make it right...who gave you the almighty power to say you were the one that was correct..

mona_b
April 28th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Pitcin.
You just changed your 35 year old old pony and your 9 year old gelding to a 35 year old cat and a 9 year old dog.

A 35 year old cat?Nice try...... :rolleyes:

Missy
April 28th, 2004, 04:57 PM
I think you missed the point - that she does not need to have several of her friends sign up to validate her opinion by jumping in. Luba feels strong and confident in her opinion and so it doesn't matter what other people think. Since I don't remember reading the words 'almighty power' in her message, you might want to pay more attention before you post.

chico2
April 28th, 2004, 05:10 PM
I was wondering where all these people came from all of a sudden and suspected something like this :D
I am not sure anymore what RK's original question was all about,I think it had to do with her cat having kittens under a piece of sheet-metal,which to me sounded brutal,not even in a barn,but outside in the cold.
Where were all her knowledgable friends when she needed help,why did she have to turn to the Internet :confused:
I strongly believe in keeping the cat-population down and since you all spay and neuter yours,you are obviously not part of the problem,you all have happy,healthy,parasitefree cats..good for you.You all have nice warm places provided for your cats/dogs,but RK did not gives the impression that she did.
Also,I resent you knocking people who really do devote their time and money to rescue unwanted animals,many times bringing back to life, cats/dogs on the brink of death because of uncaring morons.
So I say,we all love and care for our animals,be it in different ways.
I also wondered,if you have 10 barn-cats running around chasing mice,how do you know when one is sick?
I know my cats behavior,I know if they are sick needing medical attention and they get it.I was visiting a ranch in Alberta(Pincher Creek)and was horrified at the condition of some of the dogs and cats.
Vet's for barn-cats?that was unheard of,they die,they die,there
were plenty more where they came from.As for the working dogs,when no longer of use to the rancher or hunter,they were shot on the spot.
Well,I hope this is the end of this subject,we'll just agree to disagree,after all Canada is a free country :D

amaruq
April 28th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Holy Moly did I miss one!!!!!!! i seen ear sucking and thought nothing of it cause I had a cat that did it and I thought it was no big deal.

Look there is crappy owners all over. If only you all seen my area..you would cry..I do just about every day.

I lived on a farm. When there too many kittens they are put in a pile and some fool took a shotgun...well enough said. Even pups were the same. I seen where the kittens had been stomped by the cows...it was almost cartoonish in the way they were flattened. Pups were wild...they got fed sure...if needed medical help well maybe if we could find them. I hated it all!!!!!!!!!!! I still live with nightmares about those times and those are just the tip of the iceberg.

I'm a vegan...can't stand the thought of eating something I love. I loved playing with the animals..I never understood why it disappeared. (I lived on the farm till I was 11). This is something that grosses me out but by no means does it have to anyone else. I seen too much death in my time...that was enough for me.

My animals are all rescues....each story seems to be worse then the next. my dogs love to play outside but I dare you to knock them off the bed. Better count fingers and toes after. They are dogs and I love the spirit of them (cats too). There is nothing worse then an animal that has had their spirit broken. But remember that cats and dog have been domesticated for thousands of years. Heck even some of the egyptian Mummys have their dogs in the crypts.

Bill & Bob
April 28th, 2004, 07:51 PM
I think what we need here is to take a big lap at the big bowl of calm and perspective. This is the first thread I've seen on here that's turned as nasty as what I see on hockey message boards, and am seeing the same words being used here as I see there...
"What I'm saying is..."
"You're not getting my point..."
"I didn't say that I meant...."
"When did I say that...."
"So let me get this straight.."
And so on and so on. Lots of assumptions, confabulation (for those who don't know, that means filling in parts of stories yourself you didn't get subconciously because the story doesn't make sense without the fill in), misinterpretations, misunderstandings, etc. I'm seeing lots of biting without the more polite warning growl first.

Let's get this straight. We're on the internet folks. On a message board. If we were all sitting in a bar over beers talking about the same thing, acting in a similar manner to each other......As Jim Morrison once said "No one here gets out alive" would likely be the end situation. All you get to see here is the text on the screen. Full stop, end of sentence. You don't know the person. You don't know what they are like. You don't know what they feel they have to say that they think is sufficient to explain themselves or their point of view, because they might be assuming you know more about them than you really do. Or not.
Anyone ever send an email to a friend with a little joke in it, only to have them calling you in a panic saying "Why are you so angry with me?" Emails, message boards, etc. can all be a very dangerous thing in my opinion. And all should be taken with a rather large grain of salt. Or a nice big mellow pill.

I find it hard to believe that anyone, and I mean anyone who has posted in this thread is actually intentionally or negligently harming their animals. I also doubt that everyone, and I mean everyone who posted in this thread is "the perfect pet owner". I find it hard to believe that everyone who posted in this thread took the opportunity to explain themselves absolutely and completely without excluding any particular detail, thus everyone is making assumptions.

If you want this board to turn into a wrestling match, have at it. It's the internet folks. Take it for what it is.

chico2
April 28th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Here,here Bob :D I was on a political Forum once,boy,talk about crazy...if we were all that outspoken in private,there would be a political uprising in Canada :D
I do believe they are all out milking their cows now though,meow~~(just a friendly barb,no offense meant) :D Oh no,the hockey-game is on :eek:

Bill & Bob
April 28th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Just to be clear, I wasn't just talking about the people who own pets on a farm. All of my uncles were farmers and they all had cats and dogs. Many of whom lived outside in a heated dog house, or in the barn, or in the house, or a combination thereof. I also think there are jerk farmers in the country who own dogs, jerk lawyers in the city who own dogs, etc. It's human nature. We're fallable.
I was talking about everyone who posted on this thread myself included. We all confabulate when we participate in interactive activities on the internet. It's human nature.
I'm starting to sound like a priest here and it's pissing me off. I don't often like wearing the zebra shirt and playing referee.

mona_b
April 28th, 2004, 08:19 PM
GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :p

If they loose,hubby will be in the fetal position in the corner sucking his thumb.......LMAO

amaruq
April 28th, 2004, 08:21 PM
I agree with Bob! :eek: lol!

We live in the heart of the city...slum basically. Alot of welfare people and they don't give a crap about their dogs.

There is good and bad in all things. I seen farm dogs that heck I would love to take their place and some that I cry for silently.

There are all sorts of ideas...ideas aren't bad the people behind them might be though. :eek: ;)

cmt489
April 28th, 2004, 08:26 PM
I also think there are jerk farmers in the country who own dogs, jerk lawyers in the city who own dogs, etc.

Heeeeeyyyyyy!!!!! As a lawyer that lives in the city and owns a dog, I think you are trying to personally attack me now... LOL :D :D

Michelle

Bill & Bob
April 28th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Personally I'm just disappointed with this thread in it's entirity. Not excluding any of the participants. City people condemning country people, country people condemning city people. So much faesces slinging here, you'd think it was a god damned monkey cage at the zoo.
Nice start with a cat sucking on an earlobe, and it deteriorates into an all out war with cliques being formed and too much negative energy. Tell ya what. Everyone find their favourite damn pet and either get it to suck on your earlobe or you suck on it's ear and if it has a lobe, focus on that.
I don't give a damn if you are in the country or the city. I don't care if you work in a shelter, or if your dog spends the night in a dog house.
Everyone smoke em if you got em, get a glass of water, or do whatever you have to do to relax.
Myself, I'm on my fourth beer and watching the Maple Loafs get their asses kicked.

Bill & Bob
April 28th, 2004, 08:38 PM
You're funny Michelle. Lawyer eh? LSS or private firm? I worked with guys getting out of prison for 9 years around this town. Got Gordo Campbellized though. Now I bet Gordo doesn't have a pet, and if he does I bet it's stuffed and on his mantel piece. They are cheaper to maintain that way.

cmt489
April 28th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Nope, sorry no noble causes here. Just pure greed :p - private practice - insurance defence work no less :eek: . But no, not ICBC... LOL!! Actually, in all seriousness, I love what I do.

Sorry to hear that you got Campbellized. We need more people like you helping to reintegrate ex-prisioners into society. Sounds like you are a caring rational person. I'm glad Bob found you! :)

Michelle

mona_b
April 28th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Ummmmm Bill,hate to break it to you,but the leafs are not getting their A$$es kicked...You sure you are watching the right game?.........LMAO

Scores 3-1 in the 3rd period.....LMAO....No more beer for you... :p

Luba
April 28th, 2004, 09:10 PM
OH yeah LEAFOLA HOCKEY tonight man!!

Michelle you crack me up!!

who gave you the almighty power to say you were the one that was correct..

To the one who posted the above quote: I speak for the ones that can't speak, the cats and dogs...the pets turned into 'pests' by their families turned 'owners'!!

Mona, great job you're doing with your daughter you must be very proud of her :)

Bill & Bob
April 28th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Just making sure you were on your toes. I'm ok with this actually, because in one pool I took 4 leafs including Belfour, and in on of my other ones I took 4 Philly players.

mona_b
April 28th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Thank you Luba..I'm very proud of her.Considering I raised her on my own since birth.And my poor baby was 2 days old when she had her first cast..And 3 months old when she had her surgery... :( ...She was born with a club food.

I'm always on my toes... ;)

Luba
April 28th, 2004, 09:20 PM
A club food Mona is that like a club sandwich ;)
Kiddin luv!! (amazing work and accomplishment on both mom and daughters part :D )

PHILLY'S GETTING CREAMED

LOL GET IT HUH HUH!!

mona_b
April 28th, 2004, 09:29 PM
LMAO....Sort of but without the lettuce..... :D

Thank you again... :)

Phillys getting creamed....ROTFLMFAO....

When they loose I guess they will be tossing out the Bagles.....LOL

Luba
April 28th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Hey that would have been great....someone shoulda done that..threw some bagels on the ice at the end HAHAHAH!! Now THAT woulda been funny!

mona_b
April 28th, 2004, 09:39 PM
To bad I didn't have any..I'm in T.O now....I would have gone and done it....... :D

Luba
April 28th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Nosey, where are u so I can come do a drive by pooping with Sadie???

rescuekitty
April 29th, 2004, 02:41 AM
I find it absolutely hillarious that someone would tell their friends
'oh come help me on this mesg board' especially if someone is an adult.
This is more teenage behaviour (Mona u relate lol)

I've have had my share of disagreements with people but I don't need a posse to help me make my OWN opinions known.

Rescuekitty if you find the need to have others accept and support you thats your business. From an outside perspective and I know I"m not alone here..it looks so very desperate and pathetic.

Dogs and cats have been forced over the years to be turned domesticated through breeding. You people some how think with your knowledge or lack thereof that you can suddenly undomesticate pets that have been domesticated for hundreds of years (now thousands actually).

It seems to make people 'feel better ' to have others agree with them. Where I could stand alone, stand proud and strong in my beliefs because they are good and fair and just.

I can walk around a community and find dozens of people who would take either side. I can go through shelters and find hunting dogs lost/dumped/abused and neglected/sick and injured from living outdoors.
I can find cats so full of ticks and fleas they can barely move...again from living outdoors.

I'm happy there are others that agree with me and take the same stand I do, atleast there is some hope for the lovely souls...there are some that love and cherish them enough to have them part of their family.
In fact... I don't need a "posse" to help my own arguements be known. I just wanted you guys to see the other side of everything. Not that I think it will change things, as I know you guys are stuck on an "indoors-must be better!" philosophy. I also know of many indoor cats and dogs that have been found in much worse conditions that you describe. Who says it's designated only for outdoor animals? How do you know that all these animals had these problems from living outdoors? Any indoor animal that is not cared for is going to have the same problems. But I doubt you'll agree...
And Mona, In fact, I do have more to say. I was busy earlier and did not get around to reading the posts. It's not that high on my priority list... My animals are! I find it more than a little hard to believe that with the endless hours you spend on here, you all spend very much time with your animals...

rescuekitty
April 29th, 2004, 02:49 AM
As great as it is to have new members join, I totally agree with Luba. So, you get all of your friends to join up (all on the same day and each posting within minutes of each other....hmmm, glad that I wasn't the only one who was suspicious of that one) and rant and rave because you have a different opinion? Maybe you think you are expressing yourself but it definitely comes off like an attack. This is a forum for responsible pet owners to share advice, opinions, and support - not a place to blast people because they don't support your views.

The nasty and sarcastic comments that you have been throwing at Mona, Chico, LR, Luba and everyone else who disagrees with you is completely unnecessary, uncalled for, and indicates a definite lack of maturity. Any negative comment that they may have had is clearly a result of concern for the well-being and safety of the animals, not petty meanness. I can't speak for those of you who are all new but I can tell you, as an outside observer who had not participated in this thread, that they dedicate their lives to helping pet owners to care for their animals and protect helpless animals who are unable to do it for themselves. Whether or not you agree with their opinion, the least that you can do is give them the much deserved respect for their efforts.

So there. My two cents.
Excuse me, but I think there was plenty of mud-slinging before my friends came to demonstrate that no only one way is right for all animals. I think people need to understan that, but by this point, I am definately sure they won't be realizing it anytime soon. Apparently you don't think any of the mud slinging was aimed at me? Well I'm sorry, I do. I have gotten a lot fo crap from this board as far as being told what I provide for my animals is insufficient and that they cannot truly be loved, as they would be indoors then. That's not how I feel, and I wanted others to share their opinions on this. I did not tell anyone what to say for your information. I only said I would like to hear more people's opinions. Is it for you to say, that I do NOT
dedicate MY life to helping pet owners to care for their animals and protect helpless animals who are unable to do it for themselves.... I don't think that's something you can judge.

rescuekitty
April 29th, 2004, 02:58 AM
I was wondering where all these people came from all of a sudden and suspected something like this :D
I am not sure anymore what RK's original question was all about,I think it had to do with her cat having kittens under a piece of sheet-metal,which to me sounded brutal,not even in a barn,but outside in the cold.
Where were all her knowledgable friends when she needed help,why did she have to turn to the Internet
Once again... Can you determine without a doubt, that your cat is going to have it's kittens where you want them?(I know you probably don't have a pregnant cat, unless it's a rescue, but let's say you did...)
I guessed that's where she was planning on having them by her going there a lot. I did not force her to go there. She had full run of the barn and hay loft. I thought she would have chosen a nice warm place in there.. But it was not to be... BUT!!!!
Before THIS thread ever started, I had explained the whole situation and birth to everyone.... I had brought her into my sunroom to have most of the kittens! Is that brutal to you? Is it brutal that I was up at 1am checking on her because I WANTED her to be okay?? Is it brutal that I stayed with her the rest of the night(morning) and even saved the last little one?
I can't choose where she wants to have her kittens for her. I can however help to the best of my ability, which in my eyes, is what I did!!!

rescuekitty
April 29th, 2004, 03:08 AM
City people condemning country people, country people condemning city people.
Just as a side note-> I was not condemning any people! I am saying there are sad situations in any case, whether it's outside, or inside. I don't think people care if they are going to treat their animals cruelly.

Green Acres
April 29th, 2004, 03:39 AM
"drive by pooping"......roflmao....I am SOOO gonna have to remember that one/I think my keyboard may short out from all the pepsi I just splattered on it....LOL....to funny!

MBRA518
April 29th, 2004, 08:20 AM
OK... for the record here, I only posted on this site because I felt the need to. This site got really nasty long before any of us got here and that is the reason most of us posted. I don't know RK... only from another MB, but I did find this posting offensive, rude and misinformed. I think that the issue here it not that any of us "horse" people think there is anything wrong with keeping animals indoors as long their needs are met, some of us have indoor, some have outdoor pets... what our issue is that most of the people here think that any outdoor pet is being neglected or abused... and I'm sorry but as a person who has owned barn cats and outdoor dogs... I find that offensive!

None of the posts from the horsey set were trying to change your mind and have you put your animals outside.... we just want you to realize that there are other "right" ways to care for animals than YOUR way.

The main reason I posted here was because of the post telling RK to give her dog to a shelter because it was cruel to keep a dog outside... I've been to shelters and worked there... it is not a happy place especially on the day they need to put down a perfectly healthy dog because there is no room... the old fat PB (tattooed) little hound dog is there for a week with no one looking for him (likely because he couldn't hold his bladder)... I cried almost every day on the way home.... and to think that some of you "animals lovers" would rather see these dogs destroyed than find a loving responsible outdoor home makes me SICK!

No one disputed the fact that some people are sick and shouldn't own animals... but just as many abused, neglected animals come from indoor homes, as outdoor homes.... and most feral cats and feral dogs are from indoor or city homes that thought it would be a good idea to release fluffy back to the wild when they were done playing with it, it got too big or peed on the floor...

Pets are a life time commitment and a part of the family... we all think this... so don't try to talk down to us because you think you are the only one who is right... I think we are all right... what I don't like is that most people here are so judgemental and closed minded.

Oh and I would have no problem having this conversation face to face either... I don't need to hide behind a keyboard and I am this outspoken in public.

MBRA518
April 29th, 2004, 08:29 AM
I agree with Bob! :eek: lol!

We live in the heart of the city...slum basically. Alot of welfare people and they don't give a crap about their dogs.

There is good and bad in all things. I seen farm dogs that heck I would love to take their place and some that I cry for silently.

There are all sorts of ideas...ideas aren't bad the people behind them might be though. :eek: ;)

Unfortunatly... those people's children are often not much better off usually.

BlueDog
April 29th, 2004, 08:36 AM
I had to double-check at the title of the Bulletin Board- Is it pets dot c a or is it narrow-minded pet owners who believe that locking their dogs up in a crate and letting them out for a pee for 30 minutes twice a day is OK?

But then I had to surmise that the reason you joined this BB was to falsely allow you to convince yourselves that your deprivation behavior is ok by finding like-minded people like yourselves!!!

Of course Rescue Kitty doesn't fit in with you all! And I am glad she doesn't!!! I believe the happiest dogs around are dogs who spend a lot of their time outside. By outside I don't mean a stinking balcony or 20X20 pseudo-backyard, I mean open fields, interesting things to look at and do.

I bet lots of you also have those trendy breeds, like Border Collies, Golden Labs, Heelers, Jack Russels etc. These are the high-energy dogs that us farm owners rescue from the pound after you dump them off declaring them untrainable!!!!!!!!!!!! Who in their right mind buys a dog like a Border Collie who is BRED to run for hours a day and convince themselves the dog will like to be confined to a crate while the owner works 12+hours a day?!?!

Why condemn those sane souls who choose to allow dogs to live a happy independent life? There are bad apples everywhere, I personally believe most dogs are underexercised(like their owners) which is the reason for their chewing, jumping, scratching behaviors.

Really, you all fit well together, I hope some other unsuspecting soul doesn't join this warped board and get the crap thrown at them like this woman did.

You all suit one another(except for the ones who cam on this board to enlighten you all!)

amaruq
April 29th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Ok now I'm getting mad......the post turned to some fun with hockey and boom out come the big guns again......if you don't like the board and the people the answer is simple...go away.

I don't think anyone told RK to give up her dog. Like come on people!!!!!!

I really think that some people are trying to play a victim and all its doing is making a mess. i go back to one thing...don't like it go away..plain and simple.

chico2
April 29th, 2004, 08:45 AM
I am not sure where anyone said to put RK's dog in a shelter,most people here are very much aware of what goes on in shelters and do not wish to see any cat/dog go that route,but many times it's a necessary solution for abused and neglected animals and to give shelters some credit,they have many times been instrumental in closing down puppy-mills,dog-fighting etc..
There are good shelters and there are bad.
As for cats having kittens,no,I would love to have the opportunity to see the"miracle"of birth and how mama cat takes care of her kittens,but common sense and an overpopulation of unwanted,miserable cats tells me spaying/neutering is an absolute must.
We all consider ourselves good pet-owners,maybe we don't always do things right,but I for one know my cats could not have a better life and the thought of cats facing the outdoor elements,hot and cold 24/7 all year around,is not an ideal situation but that's only my humble opinion.

MBRA518
April 29th, 2004, 08:48 AM
I don't think anyone told RK to give up her dog. Like come on people!!!!!!.

Actually someone did... and someone also said that shelter dogs should never be adopted out to outdoor homes too.

MBRA518
April 29th, 2004, 08:54 AM
I am not sure where anyone said to put RK's dog in a shelter,most people here are very much aware of what goes on in shelters and do not wish to see any cat/dog go that route,but many times it's a necessary solution for abused and neglected animals and to give shelters some credit,they have many times been instrumental in closing down puppy-mills,dog-fighting etc..
There are good shelters and there are bad.
As for cats having kittens,no,I would love to have the opportunity to see the"miracle"of birth and how mama cat takes care of her kittens,but common sense and an overpopulation of unwanted,miserable cats tells me spaying/neutering is an absolute must.
We all consider ourselves good pet-owners,maybe we don't always do things right,but I for one know my cats could not have a better life and the thought of cats facing the outdoor elements,hot and cold 24/7 all year around,is not an ideal situation but that's only my humble opinion.

I have no problems with shoelter and yes some dogs need them... but not all outdoor dogs need them... that's my only point.

And for animals in elements 24/7... I agree completely - if and animal (any animal) is be be kept out 24/7 or at all really, they need access to shelter - preferable a warm cozy one, or insulated pet house.

The problem here is that all our views are not that different... we just want you (everyone) to realize that, I realize that your views are fine, I have indoor animals too - I don't want you to toss you cats out... I'm sure they are happy and well cared for, I'm just tring to stress that my family's barn cats are too and that there are people out there with well loved and looked after outdoor animals.

chico2
April 29th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Actually,the OSPCA here where I live will NOT give a dog to anyone planning on keeping a dog outside,it's not our opinion but an OSPCA standard.
Your outdoor dogs might all be happy tail-wagging farm-dogs,but for everyone of yours there are plenty of miserable chained-up,neglected animals.
You seem like a reasonable person,we can both agree that we love our animals and try to help the ones who are not loved and we'll end this"Earlobe-sucking" post on a positive note :D

MBRA518
April 29th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Actually,the OSPCA here where I live will NOT give a dog to anyone planning on keeping a dog outside,it's not our opinion but an OSPCA standard.
Your outdoor dogs might all be happy tail-wagging farm-dogs,but for everyone of yours there are plenty of miserable chained-up,neglected animals.

I don't disagree there... but again the problem is the people, not the situation... I suppose I can get the OSPCA's rule... it would be hard for them to weed out the bad weeds... and I'm sure that if the person was obvious a good farm home with proper shelter exceptions would be made (I hope).

amaruq
April 29th, 2004, 09:11 AM
I'm not trying to loose my temper here but Bludog you crossed a line!!!!!!!

I have a BC a Dalmation and a Purebred sweetie pie!

I spend hours walking running and hiking with them. I live in the heart of the city.

All of mine were rescues. My BC was the only one to survive out of the litter cause the rest were dumped in a dumpster. The Dal had sat in the pound for a month...her face had been smashed and not repaired...she was extremely ill when we took her in. MY oldest Goldy was in the Humane society as a pup. Sunny the cat was pulled out of a recliner with what looked like an eye missing... we found out later the eyes were so infected she lost her sight. Brandy was a exhibition kitten (Petting farm) She was deaf and the guy didn't want her cause she freaked out.

None of these are designer dogs!!!!!!! I took them cause they needed me and I needed them.

Please if you don't like it here go away.....cause the more you all talk the more I think less of you!

MBRA518
April 29th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Please if you don't like it here go away.....cause the more you all talk the more I think less of you!

Ok I want it known... I don't know you or your animals (or anyone else here) I don't care what breed type whatever pet you have... and I'm sure that you are all good people and you all love your animals. I would only like to get the point across that there are different ways to love and properly care for an animal. I realize that any of you that have worked in shelters or animals rescue have seen bad things, but please realize outdoor animals can be well loved and cared for members of a family.

I get as offended as everyone else when told that I must be a horrible owner if I care for my animals differently than you do. The way Bludogs post made you feel is the exact reason I posted here in the first place.

chico2
April 29th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Exactly MBRA,somone like Bludog I would not even dignify with a response.
Amaruq.just ignore him/her,he/she is obviously having a bad day :D
Well,the sun is shining it's +22C I am taking my LUCKY cats outside and I'll do some spring-clean up.. Have a good day everyone!

professor
April 29th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Rescuekitty
I have NO idea why all these people are on your case.
My dogs are what you would call inside dogs, but I know plenty of "outside" dogs that are healthy,happy and more loved than allot of "indoor" dogs in this world.
You keep on doing what your'e doing and shrug this off.
See you on the EMG<BB

Luba
April 29th, 2004, 10:14 AM
I'm still waiting to do my drive by pooping!! Sadie has lots to offer ;)

I think I'm going to move to a very small apartment (since I live in a city) and get a very big dog, a very active dog and a very loud dog.

I am then going to put the three of them on a 5x3 balcony that is 1/2 taken up by stacks of Canadian 24/s and some garbage I never put out cause I'm too lazy.

The neighbours don't complain cause their too stoned/drunk or off doing some illicit activity that involves the criminal element, because thats what us city slickers do LMAOO!

Okay now for the serious stuff, to the individuals who seem to be experiencing techical difficulties with their computers..... bringing them back to this site time and time again even though they hate it..... I suggest you clean your cachet! :p

professor
April 29th, 2004, 10:21 AM
MBRA

Well said

MBRA518
April 29th, 2004, 10:21 AM
I'm still waiting to do my drive by pooping!! Sadie has lots to offer ;) :p

Humm.. you not want to engage in drive by poopings with horse owners... we have more ammo!!! :D

I personally think that anyone lumping all city people... is just as bad as lumping all outdoor pet owners in one pot... I don't agree with either opinion.

Luba
April 29th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Actually I need some manure please bring all you got!! I have a very large garden that would benefit!!

BTW my drive by pooping mesg was 'aimed' towards Mona as a joke since she's in my city visiting her dad!

Side note reminds me of a farmer in Nova Scotia where a bank called a loan on him to pay all at once. Naturally he didn't have it, bank was putting pressure on him to pay it all off NOW. There also happened to be a 'new homes' builder trying to buy property in the area (the bank would benefit from several new mortgages if ya follow).

Anyway, the farmer....did I mention farmed PIGS (LOL) as well as crops.

Took his tractor along with his hose feeder (loaded with pig poop) and drove it into town where he plastered the bank in piggie poo!!!

You may say the employees had a *****ty day :D

MBRA518
April 29th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Actually I need some manure please bring all you got!! I have a very large garden that would benefit!!

BTW my drive by pooping mesg was 'aimed' towards Mona as a joke since she's in my city visiting her dad!

Side note reminds me of a farmer in Nova Scotia where a bank called a loan on him to pay all at once. Naturally he didn't have it, bank was putting pressure on him to pay it all off NOW. There also happened to be a 'new homes' builder trying to buy property in the area (the bank would benefit from several new mortgages if ya follow).

Anyway, the farmer....did I mention farmed PIGS (LOL) as well as crops.

Took his tractor along with his hose feeder (loaded with pig poop) and drove it into town where he plastered the bank in piggie poo!!!

You may say the employees had a *****ty day :D

I know the drive by pooping was in jest.. it's cute :D

Ok this is weird... I'm from NS... I remember that story... can't remember any details but I know I've heard that before.... LOL small world.

Oh and you're welcome to my manure... LOL

Green Acres
April 29th, 2004, 10:40 AM
The hubby has been experimenting with some gardening and as a result I swear we've got the biggest pile of "stuff" you can imagine....guess for the most part you might say I keep my chit to myself.......lmao

mona_b
April 29th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Luba,your a bit late with Sadies poop...Dad put the manure down last week.. :( ....But if he needs a top up,i'll let you know... :D :p ...I'd rather you stink up your car with Sadies poop then stink mine up with Yukon and Trons....LMAO

Chany
April 29th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Holy ****! Did I ever miss a good post!! For the last couple of weeks I've only been able to come on here for a few minutes at a time.
Here's my 2 cents. I agree with quite a few of you, even a lot of the new ones. As for a posse there is already a posse on this forum so its kind of nice to see a new one. ;) . As for maturity levels that varies quite a bit around here!! I have walked away shaking my head a few times from here about if you don't agree, which is total b.s. I'm sorry if this offends anyone but the new ones made some very valid points!! Just because you don't agree doesn't mean the others are bad people.
I am not trying to offend anyone just saying what I perceive sometimes. Sorry!! :rolleyes:

Luba
April 29th, 2004, 11:43 AM
There is already a posse on this forum? Where and who, do tell I would love to know!!

MBRA518
April 29th, 2004, 12:02 PM
There is already a posse on this forum? Where and who, do tell I would love to know!!
By my observation you need only scroll back on this tread to before our posse arrived. :rolleyes:

Luba
April 29th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Ahh well I"m looking through my romper room mirror and I see..... no wait! Thats silly!!

Bill & Bob
April 29th, 2004, 01:17 PM
RK, just to set the record straight....yet again....I didn't say you, specifically, were condemning anyone. I was trying to explain that everyone here should calm down, quit with the pack mentality, and quit barking at each other.
Wayyyy to much reactionary commenting going on here.

Again, it's the internet folks. Relax. You don't know each other, and don't know how anyone on here actually treats their animals. I have seen so many blanket statements in this thread from not both, all sides. I haven't seen just two distinct sides in any of this.

Anyhoo, where's the moderator here? I've heard of this guy Marko, but haven't seen him try and settle things down here. This guy must be like the Maytag repair man, who never has to deal with this kind of crap and ends up sleeping through it when it happens.

This thread should be locked, deleted and forgotten about.
Way too much passive aggression.

Nice job everyone. This thread is the first I've seen that's reminiscent to the hockey message boards with thirteen year olds threatening each other over a "your goalie sucks" comment.

Bill & Bob
April 29th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Lock this thread please?

Lucky Rescue
April 29th, 2004, 01:25 PM
I'm sure Marko will lock it, or not, as he sees fit.

Luba
April 29th, 2004, 01:30 PM
I think we should be all grown up here

rescuekitty
April 29th, 2004, 11:58 PM
I just want you to know Amaruq, that I am leaving. I came here to enjoy interacting and meeting with fellow Canadian animal lovers. Apparently this is not the case. Maybe you are animal lovers... Okay, I'll give you that. But by the attitudes you have shown me here, you're not the kind of people I'd like to associate with anyway. I noticed before I ever posted anything here that several of you have picked on others before in previous posts. I think you need to realize your way is not the only way, albeit maybe for some animals, but not all. I love all my animals and just because they live outdoors, or in the barn does not mean I love them any less. I actually received a message from someone, who shall remain anonymous, on this board thanking me, and telling me to stick around because they think someone like me is needed around here, as they are sick of the way you people are acting toward some posters. (They did not post in this thread BTW, but they have been around a lot longer than me. They are one of the more "experienced" posters here.) I may stick around to read posts, and pop in the occasional answer to a question, but I will not be seeking advice, nor will I be sharing my achievements that I have with my pets. I have other places I can do that, such as where my friends who backed me up here came from. I never thought that simply stating that allergies sometimes cannot be controlled by medicine, would start a fight like this one.
And in fact, someone did say that I should give up my dog(I don't remember whether it was said to give it to a shelter, but I think that was said as well). I will look through the posts and quote it in a another reply if I can find it... That would have been something that hurt me if I cared what you people think. I don't! I just wanted to share with you that there are other ways, so that maybe you could be more open minded.
I'm sure there are just as many indoor animals that are poorly treated as outdoor ones, but maybe all you ever see are the outdoor ones. I don't think all the animals you deal with come with stories, and I doubt that they told you " I used to be a barn cat" or " I used to be an outdoor dog". Maybe they were indoor animals which someone decided got too big/too ugly/peed too much/barked too much/ whined too much/weren't trainable/etc. Maybe they were thrown out on the street or out into the country and became feral animals because of these people who had them as indoor pets. My last cat, who was also outdoors for the time I had him, was a throw away. He was thrown out of a moving car by somebody... As if that wasn't bad enough, he was tied up in a bag too. I have seen everything out in the country. A lot of it done by city people who decide they no longer want their animals. I've seen kittens run over, tied in bags with a rock or two and drowned, etc. It's not a pretty sight. I saved my last cat. I'm sure he was happy to be with a person who loved him. Although we didn't have a lot of room where we used to live, so I found a better home for him, with someone who rescued animals, and made him a house cat. Although he still prefers to be outside. I don't think you can fairly blame any one group for the abused and mistreated animals out there. But that's just my two cents.
I understand many of you are into rescue, and come across bad cases all the time, some of which are outdoor animals, but that does not mean that all owners which have outdoor or barn animals treat them badly.
If I had a temper, I would have flown off my handle at some of the things you guys said about me and other outdoor owners. A lot of what you said, especially before the other posters showed up, was rude and inconsiderate of you. I'm sorry if I said anything that you did not like, but I don't think I was rude about it. I think that all the people here who have been bashed deserve an apology. I'm sure they won't get it, as I know that would be a terrible thing to some of you... to admit you are not fully right. But it's something that is deserved. I was also very surprised to hear from a friend that posted in favour of outdoor animals that she received "hate mail" from one of you. How low is that??
I'm not stooping to the level of some of you. So I'm out of here. I think it's a loss, as I'd love to meet more people from my area who are pet lovers like myself, but, I'd rather be happy somewhere else. You guys need to get off your pedestals and look around. As my mom always used to say, "Some people need to get up off their pedestals to learn their lessons, others need to fall! :D " For some reason, I think many of you will have to fall before you learn your lessons. But go ahead... prove me wrong and appologize for the mean and hurtful things you have said to some of the people here, including myself.

rescuekitty
April 30th, 2004, 12:04 AM
3 mons old living outside and this wasn't enough for you to say, hey this dog needs a better life.
Maybe I am mistaken, but I think this USED to be the post that said I should give up my dog.

amaruq
April 30th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Thats your choice RK.. I see you replied to a few posts in the Vets. I just bet you will be back because we all have something to give to each other. I agreed with luba that at 3 months old the pup is too young to be outside. Not to mention dangers but also health wise they are not fully vacinated yet.. I think allot of people agree with that.
I think you took things way too seriously...if you looked at my posts and a few others everyone agrees that there is good in bad in all.
We may not agree with your choices but you didn't need to bring people from another board to stick up for you. It's like an us against them and really doesn't make you look very good on this board. I agree with Bill on this as it looks childish.
I was on a board that I had a disagreement on...It really upset and yes I voiced it hear thinking maybe I was in minority in my way of thinking. But to bring people there to yell and scream :P

MBRA518
April 30th, 2004, 08:10 AM
I was on a board that I had a disagreement on...It really upset and yes I voiced it hear thinking maybe I was in minority in my way of thinking. But to bring people there to yell and scream :P

Actually that's all she did.. we all asked her to post a link, as we all felt as strongly about it as she did. After being totally offended by what I saw... I felt the need to post. Does it matter why I saw the post? I would have posted the same things had I found it another way.

mona_b
April 30th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Rude to people?Have you read alot of the posts?Some have been taken off.But if we are to be called rude for caring for an animal,then so be it.We have everything on here.He have been sworne at so many times.People come on here with very ill animals,throwing up blood,can't move,pooping blood,not pooping,eating or drinking for a week,shaking.The list goes on and on.And alot say they can't afford a vet.We suggest they ask the vet for a payment plan or borrow the money.Or when we say take the animal to a vet,they freak out.If we didn't care for animals,then we wouldn't be on here trying to help....And how many of these people come back on here because their animal has died?There have been quite a few.And it breaks our heart.Knowing that if they would have taken them to the vet ASAP,the animal would have had a chance.When you take on a pet,they are your pet for life.That means having the money put aside for an emergency...Our pets are our life.And to be honest,I wonder about the people who do come on here with the things I have stated,if they have children.Do they go on a site saying my baby is choking or coughing up blood,what should I do?I sure as to He!! hope not.Go through all the posts,the ones on Ask a vet and you will understand what I mean.WE are animal lovers on here.You talk about the negitives about us,what about the possitive in us?The ones we have helped?There are many.We even help each other out.But I guess you turn a blind eye to that side.Being on this site,I have learned alot.

As for farms,I also know that farmers have a right to shoot a dog that comes on your property.My sister had a beautiful GSD.My nephew was taking her for a walk.Yes she was on a leash.His shoe came untied.He went to tie it up and dropped the leash.Tori took of to the neighbors farm.The neighbor who knew her,shot and killed her.My 3 nephews and neice where in tears.They had nightmares for the longest time.Especially my neice.Since you are in Ontario,this law does apply to you to.

chico2
April 30th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Well,I guess this thread has been discussed to death :D
I very rarely get angry at my PC screen and most of the time,since you cannot see the what is going on with some posters and their animals,you get a mental picture in your mind.
My picture of RK's pregnant and due cat out in the cold trying to find shelter under a piece of sheetmetal,was not a pretty one,hence the response.
Rk later explained her mom being allergic etc....and that she really had nowhere for the cat to be in a warm place,which she later changed.
So,all is now good in farm-country and if RK choses not to be part of Pet.ca so be it,no problem ;)
Oh,I forgot to mention,my Rocky now 8yrs old,came from a farm,I got him for free.He was one among 6 kittens in a box given away for free at my local pet-food store.I hope the others were as lucky as Rocky!
Actually my vet wants to test his blood for feline leukimia(SP?),she said it's prevalent in barn-cats...oh well.It seems to me to be a little late for testing,but we'll see.

MBRA518
April 30th, 2004, 08:48 AM
But Mona... That was one of my points... just because other people have been or are bad pet owners doesn't give you the right to fly off the handle at a person because you don't like they way they care for their animal. There was nothing on this thread about an animal in need. All animals mentioned were healthy and happy.

I would probably join in with you if RK were talking about her dog with a gaping wound and not allowed inside or not taken to the vet... or her small hairless dog forced out in the cold, but that was never the case. It's not that I don't understand where you are coming from... but I think you are going to alienate a lot of loving pet owners with the 'my way or the wrong way' attitude. Especially with the horses, I've learned a lot by keeping an open mind and listening to other owners who did things differently. I completely disagreed with some, but accept their choose as something I would not do but something that works for other people and animals, but I've also got some great ideas. Because of what I've learned I've changed how I do things and those changes have made me and my animals happier.

I don't want or expect anyone to adopt my thinking, or even agree with me, but I don't want to be condemned because I'm different either.

MBRA518
April 30th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Sure you may love your pets but someone else could love them more and share with them the things they deserve to have, not just look at through a door or a window and wish for!! I wonder if they understand the allergy situation, of it they just figure they're not loved enough to be allowed in the family home.
The more I go on about it the more t'd off I get!

Actually here is the post that t'd me off... as someone commented that no one told anyone to give up their pets.. here it is! This was in responce to RK saying that her dog and cat lived out because a family member was allergic. No cat having kittens under a piece of metal mentioned before here.

mona_b
April 30th, 2004, 09:31 AM
I flew off the handle because I heard allergies and outdoor dog.Especially at the age of 3 months..I know many people with allergies that have pets.My step-father being one of them.And they have a cat and a dog.Both indoors.And what I mean by indoors is not that they live their life totally inside.But they don't stay out 24/7...If having a dog live outside because there are allergies,then I would rather the dog be rehomed knowing that it would not have to stay outside 24/7,but to be part of the family "pack" and have it sleep inside at night...And we are not talking about a working farm dog here.This is a Springer Spaniel.

Also,there was a pregnant cat in my sisters barn...My nephew managed to get her in the house.Yes it took alot of work.But she stayed in the mud room where she gave birth to 4 kittens.Since my sister already had 3 indoor cats,she asked one of her neighbors who had no cats if she could take care of them.She agreed.In time all kittens were fixed and so was Mom cat.Mom cat stayed with on of the kittens.And the 3 others went to good homes.So yes,to bring in a barn cat to have babies can be done.And we think that she may have had babies previous.The reason is when the kids went in the barn to check on the calves,they climbed up on to the haystack.There were remains of new born kitten paws.The raccooons had to have gotten a hold of them.... :(

MBRA518
April 30th, 2004, 09:43 AM
I flew off the handle because I heard allergies and outdoor dog.Especially at the age of 3 months..I know many people with allergies that have pets.My step-father being one of them.And they have a cat and a dog.Both indoors.And what I mean by indoors is not that they live their life totally inside.But they don't stay out 24/7...If having a dog live outside because there are allergies,then I would rather the dog be rehomed knowing that it would not have to stay outside 24/7,but to be part of the family "pack" and have it sleep inside at night...And we are not talking about a working farm dog here.This is a Springer Spaniel.

But dogs CAN live happily outside given the right breed and type (ie can grow enough hair to be warm). I have nothing against indoor pets - I have 2. But I've also owned outdoor pets as well... and had barn cats (usually dumped at my parents farm) give birth in the barn -usually in the hay loft, without problems. Usually cats that are outside (especially feral - none of ours were) are less stressed outside and usually will find a warm safe place to give birth.

I don't understand why you think it's ok for working farm dogs to sleep outside and not non working farm dogs... why the difference? - I'm serious here, I'm wondering why that is different to you?

chico2
April 30th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Actuall Rk's very first post is on "Ask the vet"page 3 post no 1..her original question was about her pregnant cat who had already had several litters :eek:

mona_b
April 30th, 2004, 10:10 AM
K,maybe I worded it wrong....I did not say it was ok for them to be outside 24/7.....The working dogs are outside most of the day.That I already know.My sister has one.And I also stated that she also comes in at night.It was others who stated that their working dogs are the ones who love to stay out all night....It's the others that are talking about "working" farm dogs.Sorry if this isn't making sense..Been popping Tylenol 3's for my head..

As for giving the right breed and type,I don't know any Siberian Husky owners,including my sisters that live outdoors.And these are a breed known for living outdoors.And my sister has 3 of them.Yes their coat is thick,but not that much.And there have been some huskies that they use for the sled team in Alaska that have froze to death.

Pitcin
April 30th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Actuall Rk's very first post is on "Ask the vet"page 3 post no 1..her original question was about her pregnant cat who had already had several litters :eek:

Not while she owned the cat: :mad:

RK: Unfortunately, I don't know when she first showed signs of being pregnant. I have only had her for a week or so, and before that, I had not seen her for a while at my friend's place.

RK: She has had at least several litters of kittens before, but I will be having her spayed after these kittens are born.

Surely you are not going to start blaming her for things above and beyond her control...then again...I wouldn't doubt it :(

MBRA518
April 30th, 2004, 10:42 AM
K,maybe I worded it wrong....I did not say it was ok for them to be outside 24/7.....The working dogs are outside most of the day.That I already know.My sister has one.And I also stated that she also comes in at night.It was others who stated that their working dogs are the ones who love to stay out all night....It's the others that are talking about "working" farm dogs.Sorry if this isn't making sense..Been popping Tylenol 3's for my head..

As for giving the right breed and type,I don't know any Siberian Husky owners,including my sisters that live outdoors.And these are a breed known for living outdoors.And my sister has 3 of them.Yes their coat is thick,but not that much.And there have been some huskies that they use for the sled team in Alaska that have froze to death.

OH.. ok... now I get what you mean.

Well... lets not even go to dogs freezing to death, if a dog it to live outside they need to be given proper shelter according to climate, which I consider to be an insulated or heated structure depending on climate (for the record horse barns are usually pretty warm in winter because of the large animals body heat - in reference to barn cats). My statement about proper breed and type, is not meant as "all dogs with heavy coats should live out" I believe any dog can live in, but many can also be comfortable, happy, loved and healthy living out. I have a rotti and had a rotti cross.... my rott needs to be made to go outside for the 2 seconds it takes her to pee in cold weather (least she bust from holding it in ) , while the other dog never wanted to come in... he had to though as I didn't have enough room or fencing to leave him out - but if I had the room and let him chose.. he probably would rarely been in - yet he was a happy dog.

My personal belief is that any animal is happiest with a choice for inside or out - pet dorr or the like... but I realize that some owners can't offer that (I can't right now) - some are inside most or all of the time, while others are outside most or all of the time... I think (and have experienced) that animals can be happy in all of those situations. ( To clarify - not to say each animal can flourish is all those situations, rather there are happy animals found in each situation - god I hope that makes sense.)

amaruq
April 30th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Trolls go away!

MBRA518
April 30th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Trolls go away!

Now I'm a troll for trying to have a conversation, discussion, debate??? :eek: I've never been snotty, or attacked anyone here.. just ideas. I'm not condemning anyone else for their ideas... just asking for open minds.

So just because my ideas are different than yours then I'm not welcome here?

Wow... must be lots of one sided conversations here if you cahse off anyone with a different or new idea.

Trolls were here long before I was!

mona_b
April 30th, 2004, 12:07 PM
I think what I'm really trying to say is,I would rather see the "family"dog be just that.Part of the family.Snuggled in at night.Sleeping with the family.Having them lick your face in the morning to get you up.Like mine do..Or have them hog the bed like my guys do...LOL..And we are talking about 2 100lb+ GSD's...I guess that's my defination of a family dog.

MBRA518
April 30th, 2004, 12:19 PM
I think what I'm really trying to say is,I would rather see the "family"dog be just that.Part of the family.Snuggled in at night.Sleeping with the family.Having them lick your face in the morning to get you up.Like mine do..Or have them hog the bed like my guys do...LOL..And we are talking about 2 100lb+ GSD's...I guess that's my defination of a family dog.

Actually I agree with you "my" dog sleeps on her bed next to mine every night and has the run of the house too - or should I say "lay" of the house big lazy thing that she is there is not much run in her any more... what you described is my ideal too... but this is not everyone's. I have seen and owned dogs and cats who are happy and well loved that live in different situations - some of my childhood family dogs only came in to sleep at night or in bad weather in their spot by the door, one didn't come it at all... all were happy and well loved.

I'm not saying you're wrong... just that I'm offended that you think I am for thinking there are other ways to love and care for an animal.

Also wanted to add... that not all pet owners consider these animals as their children and therefore offer them the same as they would a child, and although they love and care for them they treat them as pets.. with "no on the furniture" or "not allowed upstairs, or even in the house" rules... I don't think that makes these people bad owners... nor do I think they should find "parents" for their animals so they can be happier (I don't think they would be).

amaruq
April 30th, 2004, 12:39 PM
No way MB was the troll comment directed to you...it was directed to some people who pop in for one nasty post and then bugger off.

I think there are different kinds of ways to love your animals as long as the animal is well cared for and loved. Well cared for means you take the time to play/excercise ......good food and on a daily basis.....when shots or emergencies happen make sure you can take them to the vet. Spay /neuture and be responsible about breeding. I also completely agree with knowing what your getting so your not in for a surprize and decide to dump them later. I 100% believe when you take them in you take them in for life.

Look the animals don't have a voice...I have seen such abuse that it upsets when someone just hits their dog once. Or like what happens quite frequently in our area the litter is dumped in the dumpsters.

Let's just all give them the very best life they all deserve.

MBRA518
April 30th, 2004, 12:43 PM
No way MB was the troll comment directed to you...it was directed to some people who pop in for one nasty post and then bugger off.

I think there are different kinds of ways to love your animals as long as the animal is well cared for and loved. Well cared for means you take the time to play/excercise ......good food and on a daily basis.....when shots or emergencies happen make sure you can take them to the vet. Spay /neuture and be responsible about breeding. I also completely agree with knowing what your getting so your not in for a surprize and decide to dump them later. I 100% believe when you take them in you take them in for life.

Look the animals don't have a voice...I have seen such abuse that it upsets when someone just hits their dog once. Or like what happens quite frequently in our area the litter is dumped in the dumpsters.

Let's just all give them the very best life they all deserve.

Well said... that I totally agree with.

Luba
April 30th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Everyone has the option to stay or go, myself or any other member.

If someone is upset about how I or anyone else feels about how a pet should be taken care of thats too bad. I have the right to have my opinion, as it's not just based on thought and theory but from the heart.

I'm actually not sure why any of you are upset that we love our pets enough to have them around us as part of the family. I"m not saying you do not love your pets, but it seems you love them in a different way then we do.

So long to those of you who have come and are going!
Hello and welcome to those of you that stay.
:D

(((hugs))) to Amaruq you know I lubs ya!!

MBRA518
April 30th, 2004, 01:40 PM
I'm actually not sure why any of you are upset that we love our pets enough to have them around us as part of the family. I"m not saying you do not love your pets, but it seems you love them in a different way then we do.

This is where you don't get it... I'm not upset about how YOU look after your animals.. I'm sure they are well loved and cared for... What upsets me is that you specifically told someone with a heathly and happy dog

That upsets me... that an animal lover would suggest depriving a happy animal of it's home a family beacause it is not looked after as you would look after it.

You see your way as right and others wrong (well you came across that way)... I simply see others as different... as long as the animal is happy and healthy I see no problems.

Chany
April 30th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Hey Mona_b, actually the sled dogs that froze to death was because they were brought inside and out. Warmed up and then cold, not climatized. Just thought you should know. ;)
As for the new ones posting WELCOME!!!! It is indeed refreshing having intelligent conversations instead of bullying opinions around here!!
One thing I've noticed that when people have a different opinion here they always write don't get mad at me. I am sick of it! But I have handled bullies before and will continue. :) Although its gonna get a lot worse now because if they think their right, well so do I.
Amaruq, I agree about the trolls. Maybe you should leave for awhile.
As for me I'm off all weekend ( finally ) and will gladly continue this conversation.
TTYL
Chany :) :)

Luba
April 30th, 2004, 02:25 PM
I don't see any bullying here, I see differences of opinion! There is a difference.

Chany
April 30th, 2004, 02:29 PM
In all honesty Luba its because your little posse does the bullying. I'm sorry I'm at work and I have to log off now but I'll be back tonight to continue this if anyone wants to!!

MBRA518
April 30th, 2004, 02:33 PM
I don't see any bullying here, I see differences of opinion! There is a difference.

You're right there is... differences of opinion start with "i think"

Bullying starts with "you should" (when aid is not asked for)... "you're wrong" or things like ...

OH wow he graduated to a garage then was a bad adult doggie and he had to be put outside again.

Shame shame shame on you!

When RK gave you history of the dog (BTY never mentioning anything about the dog ever having a behavior problem)... That is bullying :( ... if you were genuinely conserned for that dog you would try and eductate RK with facts (but alas you didn't have any), not try and make her feel horrible - I see no other purpose in that post but to bully.

Bill & Bob
April 30th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Oh god, pleeeeeeeeease let this thread die. I'm not religious, but I'm thinking about finding out if the Dalai Lama is still around town to see if he can exorcise the bad karma out of this thread.
There was lots of pack mentality on this thread. Lots of unneccesary (spelling) bashing. Lots of assumptions. Way, way too much "you people..." and "all of you....." and "you guys.....". I kept reading this crap and thinking 'what the hell did I do?'.
I think I'm just going to curl up on the floor and suck on my dogs earlobes, while I twitch for a while.

Karin
April 30th, 2004, 03:25 PM
I agree with Bob. How can a thread go from sucking ear lobes to people who suck?
There was too much time wasted here, and negative energy that could be spent in better ways.

What exactly has been accomplished? Does everyone feel better now?

Smooches, I love all you crazy animal lovers.

I am wishing for more ear lobe & age posts and the like. I appreciate opinions, we all have them, but this got carried away.

*note, never put on lip gloss and then kiss your black dog*

Luba
April 30th, 2004, 03:28 PM
The linguistics in this thread are amusing me but I've had my time here and this thread can continue w/o me! :D

amaruq
April 30th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Chany didn't know I offended you...I seem to be in crap no matter what I do.

Tell you what..instead of me leaving how about you just don't read my posts ok.

Karin
April 30th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Read, don't read..no one should leave. Everyone has opinions.

I can get riled too..I also work alot so I have little time for input.

This thread was one of those "wastin' daylight" threads.

(((group hug)))

Hey, we don't have to live with each other! And I reallly mean it, never put on lip gloss and kiss your black dog....I found out after doing this and went to talk to my neighbor, he pointed out my hairy lips.
*Shoot me now please!*

chico2
April 30th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Oh well,I thought this was long over...as far as bullying,did you read ANY of the posts from Rk's "posse" :confused: The language used and the wording was far worse than any I read from "our posse".
But this is it now,I hope :eek:
Amaruq don't let anything upset you that was said here,most of us know you are a wonderful,caring person and that you know more of what goes on on many farms than most of us.
I only wish everyone out there would give all our animals the love and care they deserve,no more chained up lonely dogs,no more starving,cold miserable cats....or wolves,bears,foxes etc,etc...
Bob,you mentioned the Dalai Lhama,the buddists have the right idea,show compassion for every living thing.No,I am not religous but if I were I would be a buddist :)

mona_b
April 30th, 2004, 05:13 PM
ROTFLMFAO@Karin.......... :D

So now your nick name can be Hairy Lips......LOL.... :p

Now to get back to the original post.....Casper has a foot fetish.He loves licking toes and licking your leg...... :D

Chany
April 30th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Okay first of all Bill if you don't like it then don't read the thread. Whats the problem here with it? Too many valid points have been made for you guys to respond to?
Luba, See ya!!
Amaruq, you didn't offend me intentionally but yes I was offended. Actually I have been fairly often on here but just wouldn't say anything because you seemed to have your group and there was no arguing with it. So why try?
All of you are great people but you are extremely judgemental!! I could be just as judgemental as the rest of you and even wonder why some of you have pets. But why do that? Why is it that the intention of making people feel bad about their situations. I know some people are idiotic but some people are ignorant. Who's worse? I've found an idiot you can educate, an ignorant person? well they're worse.
Chico, as far as the language are you kidding me? Have you read any of the earlier posts. Some people are so similar to a dictator that its frightening.
Karin, I agree but this thread was because some people got tired of some holier than thou people getting on here and bullying others. But instantly that's wrong, why? Someone disagrees with the ones who've been here longer? I can become a senior contributor pretty damn quick if I wanted to. I'd have to stay on here for a lot of the day and reply to every little thread 2 or 3 times but bam I'd be a senior contributor but that doesn't mean what I've said was right or helpful in any way. Start reading back on some of the posts and I agree with the post get off you're high horses before you fall off!!

Karin
April 30th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Oh good grief! Getting off of my high horse now, hairy lips and all.

This isn't the only place disagreements happen. Same mini wars happen on other boards, in real life and among familys.
This thread should die. Too much hostility and it is breaking up what I thought was a very cool family.

Why is it so hard to say enough already?

Chany
April 30th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Sorry Karin wasn't directing the high horse to you that was mentioned way earlier before you or I were on here.I'm sorry but in my family everyone has a valid point and yes maybe it should die but unless attitudes around here don't start changing you're going to see more of it. Sorry!

amaruq
April 30th, 2004, 07:01 PM
:eek: :mad: :confused:

Where in the heck did I offend you...If I did don't read my posts plain and simple. Your getting on my last nerve with this

Karin
April 30th, 2004, 07:11 PM
I thought so...lmao! It was also my silly attempt of highjacking this thread to a happier place...since I cannot do it alone..hint ..hint..hint..I will not partake anymore.

I am off to read about better things..i.e. abcesses, hurling chow and penis afflictions....and

How old Bob really is.

Play nice kiddies.

Chany
April 30th, 2004, 07:12 PM
OMG not your last nerve :eek: :eek: . Get your medication refilled.
Pretty easy to be a bitch isn't it? But oh no have I offended you??

rescuekitty
April 30th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Rude to people?Have you read alot of the posts?Some have been taken off.But if we are to be called rude for caring for an animal,then so be it.We have everything on here.He have been sworne at so many times.People come on here with very ill animals,throwing up blood,can't move,pooping blood,not pooping,eating or drinking for a week,shaking.The list goes on and on.And alot say they can't afford a vet.We suggest they ask the vet for a payment plan or borrow the money.Or when we say take the animal to a vet,they freak out.If we didn't care for animals,then we wouldn't be on here trying to help....And how many of these people come back on here because their animal has died?There have been quite a few.And it breaks our heart.Knowing that if they would have taken them to the vet ASAP,the animal would have had a chance.When you take on a pet,they are your pet for life.That means having the money put aside for an emergency...Our pets are our life.And to be honest,I wonder about the people who do come on here with the things I have stated,if they have children.Do they go on a site saying my baby is choking or coughing up blood,what should I do?I sure as to He!! hope not.Go through all the posts,the ones on Ask a vet and you will understand what I mean.WE are animal lovers on here.You talk about the negitives about us,what about the possitive in us?The ones we have helped?There are many.We even help each other out.But I guess you turn a blind eye to that side.Being on this site,I have learned alot.

As for farms,I also know that farmers have a right to shoot a dog that comes on your property.My sister had a beautiful GSD.My nephew was taking her for a walk.Yes she was on a leash.His shoe came untied.He went to tie it up and dropped the leash.Tori took of to the neighbors farm.The neighbor who knew her,shot and killed her.My 3 nephews and neice where in tears.They had nightmares for the longest time.Especially my neice.Since you are in Ontario,this law does apply to you to.
Well, condsidering what you just said, you had no reason to condemn me! My dog or cat were not coughing up blood, vomiting, etc. And neither of them are sick or dying... I don't see the reason for this post, as it's telling me what I already know. I know that lots of these people come on saying this type of thing, but I'm not one of them. And if it comes back to the fact that my cate decided to start having her kittens indoors, then I will say again, I stayed up ALL NIGHT to make sure I checked on her and found her, the night I thought she was going to have them. I brought them into my sunroom, and helped her give birth to the rest of them. I'm not a cruel pet owner, contrary to what you may believe.

And that comment about a dog being shot on a farm, yes we have the ability to do that to someone else's dog. But does it mean we will? No! I can shoot, but even if I tried, I don't think I'd hit anything! No that I would try in the first place! So the law applies to me, so what?! It doesn't mean I'm going to go shoot a neighbours dog because it goes walking across my field!

rescuekitty
April 30th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Also wanted to add... that not all pet owners consider these animals as their children and therefore offer them the same as they would a child, and although they love and care for them they treat them as pets.. with "no on the furniture" or "not allowed upstairs, or even in the house" rules... I don't think that makes these people bad owners... nor do I think they should find "parents" for their animals so they can be happier (I don't think they would be).
I do consider my pets to be my kids. All of them, not just my dog and cat. My horse, donkey and goat too! They are all my babies, them living outside does not change that!

rescuekitty
April 30th, 2004, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=Luba]
I have the right to have my opinion, as it's not just based on thought and theory but from the heart.

[QUOTE]Exactly! The rest of us have the right to our own opinions too!! We are not upset for you loving your pets! We are happy that you love them, at least I am. And I take it personally that you think I love them in a different way because I cannot possibly have them indoors all the time!

rescuekitty
April 30th, 2004, 10:03 PM

Also,there was a pregnant cat in my sisters barn...My nephew managed to get her in the house.Yes it took alot of work.But she stayed in the mud room where she gave birth to 4 kittens.Since my sister already had 3 indoor cats,she asked one of her neighbors who had no cats if she could take care of them.She agreed.In time all kittens were fixed and so was Mom cat.Mom cat stayed with on of the kittens.And the 3 others went to good homes.So yes,to bring in a barn cat to have babies can be done.And we think that she may have had babies previous.The reason is when the kids went in the barn to check on the calves,they climbed up on to the haystack.There were remains of new born kitten paws.The raccooons had to have gotten a hold of them.... :(
Again, back to what I've said before again and again.
Some people cannot tolerate some allergens even with medication!! We were told by the allergist that it would be suitable to have a dog if we kept it outdoors.
Also, I DID BRING THE CAT IN!!!!! Please get that through your head!!! And in time, all my kittens will be fixed, as will mom!!

MBRA518
April 30th, 2004, 10:04 PM
I do consider my pets to be my kids. All of them, not just my dog and cat. My horse, donkey and goat too! They are all my babies, them living outside does not change that!

Sorry RK.. I have gone way past your case in alot of this (man did I get involved in this! :p )... I wasn't refering to you with that - nor do I think it would make you a bad pet owner if you didn't... remember I'm on your side :D

rescuekitty
April 30th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Sorry RK.. I have gone way past your case in alot of this (man did I get involved in this! :p )... I wasn't refering to you with that - nor do I think it would make you a bad pet owner if you didn't... remember I'm on your side :D
I know, I just wanted to clarify! :D

chico2
April 30th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Chany,what's your problem,why are you so hostile towards Amaruq :confused:
It kind of baffles me :eek:

Chany
April 30th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Actually it wasn't just intended for Amaruq. Oh do you mean the medication part? Well honestly " getting on her last nerve " PLEASE!!
As for the rest doesn't it make you kind of sit back and go what the hell is she thinking? Thats exactly how most of you sound when someone comes on here and disagrees with you. I'm not hostile just towards Amaruq there are a few more that need to give their head a shake. Do you realize how many people you guys have alienated from here? And what gives you that right?
Who exactly are you and why are your ideas right?
In the beginning I had fun here and then I got caught up on this judgemental ****, until Thank God I realized what I sounded like. There are a few on here I wouldn't give the time of day to in real life because of their attitude problems and there are a few on here who I think are absolutely terrific!!
Read some posts with an open mind and maybe you won't be so dumbfounded anymore and really cut out the posse crap its really really childish!!

mona_b
May 1st, 2004, 01:02 AM
And that comment about a dog being shot on a farm, yes we have the ability to do that to someone else's dog. But does it mean we will? No! I can shoot, but even if I tried, I don't think I'd hit anything! No that I would try in the first place! So the law applies to me, so what?! It doesn't mean I'm going to go shoot a neighbours dog because it goes walking across my field!

I was not talking about YOU shooting a dog on your property.What I was getting at is what if YOUR dog got on someone elses property and got shot.Mind you,this was not a direct question to you.Or actulayy anyone for that matter.Just wanted to make a point that I do know about farm life..If that made sense....

No chany,the ones I was talking about where the ones that lived outside 24/7 in the very cold temp.

rescuekitty
May 1st, 2004, 01:07 AM
I was not talking about YOU shooting a dog on your property.What I was getting at is what if YOUR dog got on someone elses property and got shot.Mind you,this was not a direct question to you.Or actulayy anyone for that matter.Just wanted to make a point that I do know about farm life..If that made sense....
Okay... just so you know though, we have no other real farms around us, we are surrounded by mostly woods and wetlands. So there isn't much risk to our dog. The only farms around us are those of close friends, not just aquantances, and they know our dog very well. If they were to shoot him, I would be VERY shocked!! He does not go far anyway, he sticks to where the people are and is in a large fenced in area at night with 2 insulated dog houses, which he usually prefers to sleep on top of!

Bonsaikitten
May 1st, 2004, 01:13 AM
I've just got one thing to say... If RescueKitty is so cruel to her animals for them living outdoors, would you prefer them to live in a bottle? :confused:
http://www.bonsaikitten.com

Pitcin
May 1st, 2004, 07:52 AM
For the record I am not a troll :p

I happen to have a job, I do not have the time during working hours to post novels as I depend on my paycheque. I was not trying to start trouble I was only posting bits and pieces of conversations that seemed to have been overlooked or ignored.

Now that it is Saturday morning and I have about 15 minutes to play before I take care of everyone else, and then maybe find some time for me, I will post my opinion.

The way I see it is that all of our animals are happy and well looked after - why does it matter if they are inside or outside animals? I can't for the life of me figure this out :( Not one person on here has come across as an uncaring or unloving person towards there animals...the only thing that is clear to me is that we seem to care more for our animals than our fellow humans. Yes I have slung some mud, the purpose, as explained before, was due to lack of time to put together a proper post. Do I apologize? No...why? I was only trying to point out some statements that had been made with a forked tongue and tried to bring that to light. My purpose was obviously mistaken for me being a troll. If it makes people feel better to call me a name, so be it, call me anything you would like, the people who know me and are part of my life are the only opinions that matter to me, I don't lose sleep over what people on the net think.

What I do lose sleep over is the animals that are not cared for. The cats that have litter after litter of kittens, sometimes before they are a year old themselves, and the owners continuing to let them prowl. I own a 7 week old kitten that is a product of this. Now there are 4 more on the way from her mother. Her milk hasn't even dried up from this litter and she is expecting another. The other thing that makes me angry is the pet that is left behind in a move, camping, cottaging, whatever the case may be. These are the animals I worry about, the ones that are truly neglected out of ignorance. I don't worry about the dog or cat that lives outside or in a barn if they have the same requirements of life as we do...food, shelter, warmth. Love comes as a natural from this pet owner...if they care enough to give the above 3 requirements, they love there animals.

I am off now to tend to my zoo. If you wish to pick this post apart or call me names once again, so be it, I'm spending a wonderful weekend loving what is important to me.

chico2
May 1st, 2004, 09:13 AM
Pitcin,Trolls to me are cute little guys living in the woods :D
Anyway,I swear this is my last post on this subject!
I joined this Forum,to learn,to have fun,to give advice if I can and to share ideas with other animal-lovers.
I am happy all the farmers here take very good care of their animals,spay their barncats,have heated shelters etc...
But in my opinion,no cat or dog should be enduring the elements,winter and summer 24/7,agree with me or not :confused:
I do not live on a acres of land,I wish I did,but have a big enough piece to enjoy the outdoors as do my cats.
My cats are sociable,loveable and very much part of my family and it would not change were we to move to the country,which we might in the near future.
I actually never doubted PK's love for her animals,but she had difficulties with her pregnant cat and had a 6 months old Spaniel living entirely outdoors and I just cannot agree with those circumstances,not that anyone cares :D
I would not waste my energy getting angry at anyone here,I don't get angry very often,life is too short,I just agree or disagree :D
So,let's all live happily ever after,take good care of our animals and look out for those who are not cared for and there are thousands who cannot speak for themselves and need our voices.

Carly
May 1st, 2004, 11:07 AM
Do you realize how many people you guys have alienated from here?

Well, me for one.

Carly
May 1st, 2004, 11:13 AM
If anyone still wants to see pics...remember, the cat sucking on our ears...I attached a couple pics of my boyfriend and KC. Can't figure out how to get it into the message body.

Catt31
May 1st, 2004, 11:15 AM
AWWWWWWw they are soooooo cute!!! How did this post get soooooo OFF TOPIC?????? Wow!!! I was just skimming the 200 posts in this ONE thread...yikes!!!! Think I'll stay out of this one!!! :eek:

Chany
May 1st, 2004, 11:19 AM
Aaaw! Carly thats cute!! I bet the cat is purring loudly to when it does that.
BTW sorry didn't mean to alienate you. Don't feel that way. Stick around :D

mona_b
May 1st, 2004, 02:00 PM
Carly,that is just so adorable.....And what a very pretty kitty.... :D

chico2
May 1st, 2004, 02:05 PM
Beautiful kitty,BF not too bad either :D

mona_b
May 1st, 2004, 02:09 PM
:eek:

Anita,you are sooooooooooo bad..........But in a good way.....LOL... :p

chico2