Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Starting Puppy Off Right

mumof4boys
May 18th, 2007, 04:27 PM
We just adopted a Black Lab. She is almost 7 weeks old. With all the problems with the pet food recently I have been reading a lot of the comments in here with regards to the quality of dog food. We have been feeding our 2 year old Black Lab/Husky mix Purina Pro Plan but with all I have been reading I think it is time to get food that they both deserve.
I would appreciate any comments as to what Brand of dry dog food would be good for the puppy and are they readily available in Ontario (Ottawa) pet stores.
Any ideas would be helpful
Thanks

SableCollie
May 19th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Do you have any idea of what's available in your area, and then you could choose from there?

I've used Canidae, Innova, Timberwolf Organics, California Naturals....and there are more good brands out there. I would check around at local stores and make a list of what they have, and maybe we can help you narrow it down from there. :)

Scott_B
May 20th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Another vote for Canidae! Its an all life stage so no need to change from a puppy to adult. The other brands mentioned are great as well. Check the brands website. They usually list stores in your area where you can purchase the food.

mumof4boys
May 20th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I did some checking on the net yesterday and it looks like I can get Canidae at our Pet Valu stores here in Ottawa. Going today.
From what I understand there is not a specific Puppy food formula with Canidae, so I will only have to buy one bag of food for both Buster and the new puppy if I get the "All Life Stages". Is that correct?

I also noticed that when I did a search of Canidae on the Pet Smart site it showed a dog food called "Blue". It is a totally different look of package then it shows on the Canidae web site. I think this must be an error.
I would have thought that such a large chain like Pet Smart would offer more of these Natural Products. I don't see any of the suggested brands on their web site. No wonder us consumers buy our pets the wrong food.

Thanks again.

SableCollie
May 20th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Right, Canidae is formulated for all life stages, so you could feed it to all your doggies.

I think the "Blue" that the search pulled up was probably Blue Buffalo--a totally different food, and IMO not as good as Canidae. Must have been a mistake. I also wish the big stores like PetsMart and Petco would have the top quality foods, it would make things so much easier.

angeldogs
May 20th, 2007, 12:46 PM
We have used canadie,innova and now orijin.our shih tzu has been on orijin with a little canadie and she likes it.she's a picky eater.our boy was on innova and he did good on it.

Kodiak Bear
May 20th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I have used Canidae, Innova and Go Natural. All are great foods. See if you can get a couple of samples and see which your guys like the best.

mumof4boys
May 20th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Hi again and thanks for all your help.
I found the Canidae after visiting 2 different Pet Valu stores. I was actually surprised at the price. I bought just the small bag to make sure they like it and it was cheaper than the Science Diet that was sitting right on the same shelf. I also noticed that the big bag is only about $3.00 more than the so called top named brands. Well worth the money. I just wish I was aware of this when Buster was a pup.
By the way, the new puppies name is Taz. :evil:

Scott_B
May 21st, 2007, 07:39 AM
Yeah, Canidae is one of the best bang for your buck kibbles out there imo.

coppperbelle
May 21st, 2007, 07:58 PM
Yup, I was surprised by the price too. I have been feeding it to my dogs for the last 6 months and they are doing great on it.