Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Two questions about raw and veggies

dogcatharmony
May 18th, 2007, 02:06 PM
First I would like to say that Zoe's feeding of lightly seared raw is going great. Turkey , chicken and pork are all going down and coming out nicely. She has no interest in beef...and that is okay with me, i am not a big fan of beef anyways. Now that the BBQ season has arrived things are even better, she smells the good food smells and will accept her food more willingly.

now my question is about veggies. She has a huge interest in roasted peppers ( i make some with all my meals, red, yellow and orange) also I put them raw in my salad. Are peppers safe for her to eat?? i have not given any to her yet....but i do have to watch because she tries to steal them. she is not a big fan of veggies....they all get spit out and licked to death to get the yummy meat taste off them.

Also seeing we are down to maybe two mouthfuls of kibble, I am still at a loss for finding a carbohdrate source for her. She will not eat sweet potatoes, maybe a spoonful of rice. She is a very active dog so i am worried about her energy levels. Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!

technodoll
May 18th, 2007, 02:26 PM
yes, veggies are great as a treat: if eaten raw they will just be pooped out pretty much the same way they went in, so cook them if you want her to absorb some of the nutrients.

don't worry, dogs don't *need* carbs... if you insist, then try giving her a peanut-butter toast once in a while, it's still better than the kibs in her bowl eh? :D

ps: make sure she's getting enough calcium! an all-meat diet (with or without carbs) is a disaster waiting to happen :cool:

dogcatharmony
May 18th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the info Technodoll!!! Now Calcuim is something she may be lacking, never crossed my mind.......( I am lacking in calcuim myself....milk and milk products yuck!!) Going to have to look up some info on that and what a 50lb dog would need for calcuim.......supplement or can she get it in certain foods (enough for her size). So do dogs need Vitamin D like we do to help absorb the calcium?

Oh P.S. She loves peanut butter, but the toast gets spit out or licked into little bread balls!! One crazy dog i own!!

Scott_B
May 18th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Diddo on the carbs. Not needed.

as for the bone. Egg shells work. 1/2 teaspoon per lb of meat. After you use the eggs, let the shells dry out, then use a coffee grinder to grind them up. But nothing beats the real stuff ;)

dogcatharmony
May 18th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Going to have to be creative on that one.....Zoe does not like eggs ( she will actually growl at them) and I get my eggs fresh from the chicken!!! Have to give the powdered egg shell a try. I stopped putting them in my compost when I heard they killed snails.....so I usually just throw them out. Now I can put them to good use again!

She also gets one big marrow bone (two if they are small) a week. She eats those right down to little nubs, then I toss them ( too small) and she gets a new one.

technodoll
May 18th, 2007, 03:02 PM
ah so she does eat raw bones then, that's good! so difficult to have a picky dog, isn't it? sigh. does she like baked liver?

dogcatharmony
May 18th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Do you mean beef liver? I have never tried that. I know she will not eat the chicken or turkey livers, the gizzards or the heart. But she does eat all the gistle off the bones, well along with the bone.

I know my vet is not happy with me feeding her raw food, he says her eating bone is not good. and he is the one who told me she needed carbs for energy. He is still in the "table scraps" are bad for dogs, "human food is for humans".

Oh.......another thing. She is crazy for fish!! Now that the weather is nice we go fishing often. Can I give her a whole raw fish?? She goes bonkers when we are cleaning them...and I really have no clue.

Scott_B
May 18th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Well, thats what i meant by the "real thing" ie real bones. :p

As long as the bones are raw, and not cooked, they're ok. I dont feed marrow bones as they can break teeth, but if you're ok with your pup having them, then thats fine. As well, i never feed any "chop" bones like steak or pork chops. These can have sharp edges.

Raw fish is fine. I like to freeze my fish for a few days, just to be safe, but i know many people who feed fresh. Freezing kils any parasites. And this applies to any wild game.

technodoll
May 18th, 2007, 06:02 PM
yes to what scott said :)

whole (ungutted) raw fish are terrific if your dog likes them - go for it! :goodvibes:

dogcatharmony
May 18th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Oh darn.......she is going to be so happy. I can already see the look when she gets a whole fish........it will be " Really?? All mine?? U sure?? ALRIGHT!!"

as for bones, the only beef bones she will eat are marrow bones, she licks all the marrow out and then slowly chews the bone. if it doesn't give in one spot she turns it and chews somewhere else. I bought a cow leg bone once, I thought she would be nuts about it.......nope it had beef meat on it and she would not touch it. But she eats the turkey legs and chicken legs no problem as long as they are lightly seared. If she eats a raw pork chop she will spit out the bone.......if i give her a rib bone she will make a day out of chewing it. She is one odd cookie.

my next door neighbour gave her a goat hock....they kill a goat every year and Zoe politely accepted it. She chewed a bit and then buried it.....I had to dig it up and get rid of it. They also offered me rabbit.....I will not eat it but could Zoe??

technodoll
May 18th, 2007, 07:45 PM
They also offered me rabbit.....I will not eat it but could Zoe??

most certainly! and if she won't can I please have it for the beanies? LOL rabbit is too expensive (about $16 for a small one) so they never had any... maybe for christmas, LOL :D