Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Deaf cats

cjd
May 18th, 2007, 12:49 PM
I have adopted two sister cats, who are both deaf. They are doing fine but sometimes I have a difficult locating them in the house. Someone told me that there is a little device to attach to their collars that emits a locator beep every so many seconds to help locate them. Someone suggested a bell on the collar but that only works when they are moving and not sitting still, or sleeping. Does anyone know where I might find one of these items. Thanks.
CJ

badger
May 18th, 2007, 02:53 PM
There was a company that used to sell cat locators:
www.uniquedistributors.com
but I just called them, apparently the supplier went bust. She said they'd been looking for another supplier but have had no luck.

A bell isn't a bad solution. If they are going places you don't want them to go, close off those rooms. If they are hiding because your house is a new environment, this is normal behaviour at the beginning. They'll come around. There are a number of websites on caring for a deaf cat (using hand signals, etc); have a look.

Thanks for taking them in:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
May 18th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Welcome to the forum, cjd. We'd love to see pics of your kitties (when you find them :D).

I never thought about how hard it might be to find a pet that can't hear you calling! We have beeper collars for the dogs, but typically that sort of thing is pretty heavy and you wouldn't want them to have to wear it all the time. You'd think that in a day and age when you can find your portable phone or remote control with the press of a button, someone would have invented something similar for pets! I hope you find something soon--you're an :angel: for taking in these special kitties!

Maya
May 19th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Good luck. I'd also like to see pics.:love:

trippincherri
May 23rd, 2007, 09:48 PM
My sister had a deaf tomcat for the past 17 years!!
He recently was put down :sad: old age was too much for him.
She never had any kind of device to locate him...her house is fairly small though so not too many places to hide and he of course was never let outside.
It was really neat to communicate with him, if he was doing something bad she would stomp her foot on the floor and he could sense the vibrations then he would look at her and she would shake her fist at him and he would usually stop what he was doing and walk over to her and see what she wanted lol. :D
He learned basic hand signals...it was very cool.
Shaking fist meant he was doing something wrong and was a bad cat lol, if you rubbed your fingertips together he would come to you.
If he had no food in his bowl he would howl...and yes just like a deaf person does not sound right when they speak....deaf cats sound weird when they meow.
He was very vocal and very interesting.......I hope you will post some pics of your two and let us know how your coming along breaking the hearing barrier between all of you.