Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

what would you do

wdawson
May 17th, 2007, 09:46 PM
lets say....the old people next door called the by-law for barking dogs...he even provoked them over the fence....i did get a pic of him and gave that to the by-law office....we both got a warning...:rolleyes: ....early this week,at about 3am the dogs bark and bark and bark.....i look out and the motion lights are on...dogs are still barking.....i take beathoven out on the porch and he goes balistic......someone was walking down the sidewalk.......the crusty old b*****d next door called the police about beathoven barking so late.....next evening when i get home.......a letter from him...seems that they did about $1200.00 damage.......

i put the letter back in his mailbox.

now the question.

would you even bother too look out for your neibours? and do you think they would for you?

Prin
May 17th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Whose dogs barked at 3AM? Yours?

I try very hard not to let my doggies bark outside. They're never out there unattended. Most people on my street are the same way. There's one on our walk who makes his neighborhood miserable. I wouldn't be able to stand it. He's outside alone allll day- about a 2 year old german shep. Just intolerable. Poor bugger.

Frenchy
May 17th, 2007, 09:56 PM
It depends , who's dogs are barking ?

Kodiak Bear
May 17th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Who did the $1200 damage? And to what?

wdawson
May 18th, 2007, 09:41 PM
my dogs where in the house barking at the noise of an attempted car theft....my dogs are never out alone......let alone all day

Frenchy
May 18th, 2007, 09:49 PM
So the noise wasn't that bad if they were in the house. And if I didn't own dogs, I would be thankfull to have neighbors who would. I would feel more secure. So your neighbor is probably just an old fart :shrug:

wdawson
May 18th, 2007, 10:15 PM
thats an understatement:laughing: ....you should have heard him today.....i put an 8' privacy fence up today.....he comes home...calls his wife to the window.....then i hear.....look what that ****** A**hole did.........and that was only 8' of fence......can't wait till tomorrow....another 32' going up:D

mummummum
May 18th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Am I reading your post incorrectly Wayne?

A thief attempts to steal your neighbour's car.
Your dogs bark at this noise.
The attempt to steal the car is unsuccessful (possibly because of the barking dogs) but $1200 damage is caused to the car.
Your neighbour calls the police because of the barking dogs.
Your neighbour sends you a letter asking for $1200.

If I'm reading this correctly, your neighbour is harassing you and it will only escalate. I wouldn't take it lightly. If you haven't done so already I would keep a dated diary of all your neighbour's attempts to provoke your dogs along with video and audio if possible as well as all the other incidents (calls to by-law officers, police, letters) ~ and I would keep all correspondence in case proof of harrassment is needed at a later date.

Sounds like you have a doozy for a neighbour. :frustrated:

hazelrunpack
May 18th, 2007, 10:17 PM
So in the letter did he try to get you to pay for the damage? :eek:

Frenchy
May 18th, 2007, 10:20 PM
thats an understatement:laughing: ....you should have heard him today.....i put an 8' privacy fence up today.....he comes home...calls his wife to the window.....then i hear.....look what that ****** A**hole did.........and that was only 8' of fence......can't wait till tomorrow....another 32' going up:D

Sounds like a real moron, just be careful, he might try to poisoned the dogs :mad: i know it's extreme, but some people really are morons :shrug:

wdawson
May 18th, 2007, 10:27 PM
no no no ...he is not that brazen , as too ask me to pay...it was my dogs that stopped the people....and they where curled up on the bed at the time...i called a lawyer today.....and we are seeking a no contact order and trying for a restraing order.....talk about a nut case:eek:

Frenchy
May 18th, 2007, 10:30 PM
See , this is why I live where I live, no neighbors.

wdawson
May 18th, 2007, 10:31 PM
oh i forgot.....i came home from being at home depot and found a dead squirrl on my deck.....beathoven was with me and george was in the house:rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
May 18th, 2007, 10:32 PM
no no no ...he is not that brazen , as too ask me to pay...it was my dogs that stopped the people....and they where curled up on the bed at the time...i called a lawyer today.....and we are seeking a no contact order and trying for a restraing order.....talk about a nut case:eek:

all the same, wayne...be careful! My sister had a dog poisoned because her stepson was hanging with some nasty people. Check the yard for sure before you let the dogs out!

wdawson
May 18th, 2007, 10:32 PM
when can we move in :laughing:

wdawson
May 18th, 2007, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;427687]all the same, wayne...be careful! My sister had a dog poisoned because her stepson was hanging with some nasty people. Check the yard for sure before you let the dogs out![/QUOTE

i do that everytime they go out...........last summer beathoven had a huge piece of garlic type bread.....where did that come from:rolleyes:

angeldogs
May 18th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I'm sorry you have a neighbour like that.we have something like next door.but the rest of us watch each others houses.i hope he doesn't try to do anything to the dogs.

wdawson
May 18th, 2007, 10:44 PM
he try's and he's worm food.....i will stick up for my pets just as much as my kids

angeldogs
May 19th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Hopefully you get the rest of the fence up.its' to bad some people are just crusty ungratefull.what would he have done if the dogs wouldn't have barked and his car was stolen.i think i would be glad the dogs barked and my car wouldn't have been stolen.he owes a thank you for that.

chico2
May 19th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I admit barking dogs at 3 am would drive me up the wall too,but I would be more concerned about the poor dogs beeing out all night and would certainly look in to changing that,if possible.
What I understand they chased away thieves,so what's the problem??
Also it was not your dogs..
I would put up a fence as high as allowed and really check for anything weird in the yard,the dead squirrel tells me,this man is not beyond poisoning dogs.
What a sad place to live...

Maya
May 19th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Creepy.:sick: Definitely be careful.

CyberKitten
May 19th, 2007, 07:47 PM
The neighbour sounds like a problem - does he have a psychiatric illness or Alzheimer's maybe? I admittedly live in an area where no one minds if there are dogs - tho I do not ever recall hearing a dog bark in the middle of the night. I once lived in a neighbourhood where one neighbour (a Member of Parliament at the time) had to give his dog to his brother because the next door neighbour called town Hall constantly. He did not want to loose his dog and it was the only way out - I lived across the street and never heard that dog bark - and the people next door- lived two lots away. I too had two lots and I just found it so silly that she made an issue out of it.

Here, we all tend to watch for each others' animals - granted not many are outdoor animals - the dogs when they are out walking of course or in their back yards and cats are all indoor. (Except one that wasn't until I talked to them and they really had not considered all the dangers of the outdoors and now this cute kitty never goes out tho we do see him when I cat sit. or vice versa).

I would simply be very cautious - some people can poison animals another horrible things. I really do understand people who are afraid of dogs - I am a dog lover and I would never pet a large dog (even a small one maybe, lol0 that I did not know - even doing it the proper way. Most dogs are friendly of course and my inclination is to want to pet them but growing up, we did have one dog that was a terror and he scared so many people! (I don't think he ever bit anyone but I did get a lump in my throat if I was walking home and he was there.) Alas, his "Master" has some position in city govt! And one of my friends belonged to that family - she said he was just like that and if I knew what I know now, I might have asked why they allowed him to roam? But I did not, I merely tried to hide my fear of him. (He usually did not come as far as my part of the street but I did have to pass their house on my way home and he'd be on that block.) So I always ask people if it's OK to pet their dog and understand people who are afraid of animals - I recently met someone who is just terrified of cats! (an interesting phobia).

Anyway - stay way from this fellow if you can!! And as someone else mentioned, document everything in the event he does call the authorities.

dogcatharmony
May 19th, 2007, 07:58 PM
That is so sad to hear!!! My neighbours have actually thanked me for having a dog. Zoe scared off people trying to steal out of their garage. They say that when they hear her bark they take the time to look outside because they know she doesn't bark just for the fun of it.

As for your dogs barking in your own house, your neighbours must have really good hearing....or they are just looking to annoy you. Keep your dogs and yourself and family safe.....you never know about some people and the extent they will go to.

Schwinn
May 22nd, 2007, 08:34 AM
I lived beside pyscho neighbours once. We just ignored them and for the most part the left us alone. But I agree, keep on your toes. And when you do find things like dead squirrels and stuff, try to laugh it off. At the end of the day, he's putting more effort and frustrating himself trying to cause you grief if it doesn't get to you.

If it gets to the point where he's actually harassing you or your family personally, or doing something that is dangerous to you or your family, I'd probably walk over, stand up to him and tell him, "If you have a problem with me, talk to me or leave me alone. I don't bother with you, so don't bother with me. Next time I (whatever he did), I'm calling the cops." Oh, and I'd probably have my "angry-face" on, just to make sure me calling the cops is the least of his worries.;)

Stacer
May 22nd, 2007, 07:25 PM
Wayne that just sounds absolutely awful. I hope that you and your dogs are safe. What a nutter.

wdawson
May 22nd, 2007, 08:14 PM
I admit barking dogs at 3 am would drive me up the wall too,but I would be more concerned about the poor dogs beeing out all night and would certainly look in to changing that,if possible.
What I understand they chased away thieves,so what's the problem??
Also it was not your dogs..
I would put up a fence as high as allowed and really check for anything weird in the yard,the dead squirrel tells me,this man is not beyond poisoning dogs.
What a sad place to live...

my dogs where in the bed snoring with us....never outside at 3am....and never out unsupervised.

chico2
May 23rd, 2007, 06:52 AM
Wayne,I know you would never leave your dogs outside all night,or unsupervised,but a dog can very quickly gulp down something tasty(to them)in their yard.
Bailey always seems to find something tasty when we walk her,luckily she has no problems with me digging in to her mouth and removing the tid-bit.

My elderly neighbor(older than me:eek: ),beside Baileys house,complained about me feeding the birds,giving peanuts etc to the Squirrels,about Bailey barking in her yard,she's left out there alone a lot.
But the lady has given up,knowing I won't change:thumbs up
Now we have 2 new doggies in the neighborhood,2 little poodles and their shrill barking all day,has now grabbed her attention,it does get annoying,kind of disturbs the peace:dog: