Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do I get them to stop??

lorraine2007
May 17th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Hi Everyone,
Hope someone can help me out. I have 3 dogs, 2 Shih-Tzu's (Jessy & Moustang) and 1 poodle mix (Rozzo). Everytime I'm out they urinate in the house. When I used to live with my exboyfriend, he was home during the day because he worked at night, so he would let them out when they needed, but now that I live alone and I'm at work all day, they just use my livingroom as they please. How do I get them out of this bad habit? :frustrated:
Thanks for your help!

Purpledomino
May 17th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Please tell me that you do not expect your dogs to hold it all day while you are at work. That would be a very unreasonable and cruel request for any dog. Hopefully you have a "designated" spot for these guys to do their business, if you do not have someone to let them out during the day. You do not mention any type of plan that you have to dissuade this behaviour, so its hard to give advise. A couple questions.... are they altered? Do they just have the run of the house while you are gone? What are their ages? Do you exercise them before work, and take them out?

Crate training is an excellent way to teach house-training, however if you are away from home for long periods such as a work-day, this is much too long without a break.

lorraine2007
May 17th, 2007, 11:43 AM
They were alone in the past before my boyfriend was there and they weren't doing it then. I walk them before I go to work, when I get home and before we go to bed. 2 of them are 11 years old and the other is 8. They are all neutered.

bendyfoot
May 17th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Sorry, I disagree with Purple. I have two dogs, ages 6 months and 5 years, and they are both perfectly capable of holding their urine/poop while we are at work. Most housetraining books will tell you that a well-trained adult dog should be capable of this without a problem (we consider ourselves lucky that our pup was able to accomplish this so quickly).
You should try crate/confinement training with the dogs while you are away from work. This is what we did. Dogs are den animals by nature and will not soil their dens. Give them a small space to start (ie a crate or a small room blocked off with a baby gate), and 9 times out of 10, they will hold it to avoid soiling the area. If your dogs are not used to this, however, you will need to gradually increase the time spent alone until they develop better bowel/bladder control. Get friend, petsitter or neighbour to help out by coming to the house during the day until a new routine is established.
Gradually increase the size of their "den" until it includes the whole house.
Good luck!

lorraine2007
May 17th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Thank you Bendyfoot. I agree with you about the dogs being able to hold it in while you're at work. I'm sure that my dogs are not the only ones left alone during the day.

clm
May 17th, 2007, 12:23 PM
You still need to give them an option if they can't hold it for whatever reason in my opinion, If the living room is their favorite place to mess, then block it off from them. Keep them in areas with tile flooring, ie run of the kitchen and hallway. Somewhere where the floor is easy for you to clean. Put down a pee pad or newspaper somewhere so if they must go, they have that option.

My dog was quite good at holding it all day most of his life, but his senior years, and your dogs are senior, he did have more accidents in the house. We had him checked by a vet to make sure there was nothing wrong (I hope you have done the same), and there wasn't. So since we had always put down papers for him his whole life for while we were at work, that's where he would go, and he only ever used them if he was ill (dogs do get the runs ), he would even throw up on them if he was sick to his stomach.

Make sure you have them all checked to make sure there is no medical reason for it first, and if you haven't got the scent out of the floor or carpet in the livingroom, it'll only make them want to go there every time they have a sniff, so you'll have to get that scent out of there too if you're not going to block them out of that room.

Cindy

lorraine2007
May 17th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the advise Cindy. I appreciate it. They have all been checked by their vet and everything is good. I will try the pads and see if they'll use them.

Spirit
May 17th, 2007, 12:50 PM
It sounds to me like it's not that they can't hold it, but that they've established that while you're away, they're allowed to pee in the house. They had one accident, and now the rules have changed when no one is home. If you crate them, the chances of them messing the crate is high. Then you just have bigger problems.

Using a litterbox (or pee pads) while you're out is one idea, but the only sure way to fix this is to go home at lunch to let them out. They need to learn that you WILL come home to let them out, and to hold it until you do.

lorraine2007
May 17th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks Spirit! The only thing about going home at lunch is that it only gives me 1/2 hour with them and then I have to leave again to go back to work. I hate to disturb them and have to leave them in such a short time. I will have to put those feelings aside and try it though. I see that you're from Vancouver. I am moving to Maple Ridge in July of this year. I am looking foward to it. BC is so beautiful!