Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

kittys needs

Mittens11
May 17th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Hello, this is my first time being on this site and also my first time having a baby kitten her name is Mittens and she is 8 weeks old. I am wondering what kind of shots i have to give her when i make an appointment at the Veterinary hospital and whatever else i have to do to make her a healthy and happy little cat?? please i need to know everything...lol thanks:thumbs up

marsupial mama
May 17th, 2007, 06:12 AM
welcome, and congrats on your new kitten :cat:

I think the vet will have a program of shots that are required and/or recommended. I got a new kitten in Feb and have followed the vets program. I'm sure more experienced and knowledgeable folks here will be able to give more info and advice.

Please get her spayed too - at usually around 6 months of age. Kittens are adorable but there is a huge pet overpopulation issue going on. An article in my local paper last week said that for every one home willing to take in a cat there are 45 cats available. I'm sure you can guess what the likely fate of the other 44 cats is.

And please make her an indoor kitty - there is a very good article about keeping cats indoors on this board under the "Top 15 questions" section.

Wishing you many happy years of feline company with Mittens :cat:

gomez
May 17th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Toys! Lots and lots of toys! Our 2 used to love playing with stuffed mice, feathers and even just scrunched up paper - oh! and paper bags from the grocery store...

Litter box - clumping litter is fabulous, just scoop out the balls -

And good, quality food, there is lots of info in the food section of this forum...

Have fun!

Love4himies
May 17th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Kittens love to climb and scratch their claws, it is what comes naturally to them. So to accommodate their natural instincts, you should get a couple of large climbing/scratching posts located in the areas that she inhabits the most. (probably your living room and bedroom) Show her that this is to climb and when she scratches her claws or climbs it give her lots of love so she knows this is where she is suppose to do it. This small investment will avoid a lot of headaches of her scatching or climbing your curtains and furniture.

She will give you unconditional love and precious memories :love: for many years and all she will ask for your kindness.

And please, please don't allow her to roam outside and get her spayed before 6 months.

Good luck with her (are you able to post any pictures of her).

bendyfoot
May 17th, 2007, 10:21 AM
You need books!!! Always a good idea to read as much as you can (now that you have her already, do it quickly!) to get information about training, feeding, behaviour, stages of development, grooming, health care etc. etc.

Any pet shop or book store will have lots of options for you.

Have fun with her!

SableCollie
May 17th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Usually kittens get a distemper shot at 8 weeks, another distemper shot a month later, and a 3rd one a month or so after that. Rabies shots are done at 4-6 months, spaying is also usually done at 4-6 months. Usually a feline leukemia/FIV combo test is done at 6 months, as any time before 6 months they can show a false positive. Deworming is usually done at 8 weeks, if it hasn't been already. Your vet may also want to check a stool sample for parasites, so call the vet beforehand to see if they want you to bring one in. All you have to do is scoop some poop from the litterbox and put it in a plastic baggie to bring to the vet. Of course it all really depends on what your vet prefers to do and what diseases are common in your area.

Other than that, everyone has given really good suggestions on things to get. Good luck with your new kitty! :cat:

dtbmnec
May 17th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Two words...

Laser pointer

Provides hours and hours of fun as she tries to chase the little red dot across the floor. :) Don't have to get one of the fancy ones...get one from the dollar store. Seriously that's all you need (from a laser pointer anyway)!

My two boys will chase it for hours until they start panting over how warm it is.

*grin*

Megan

ancientgirl
May 17th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Hi! I'm new here too, and recently became a mommy to not just one but now two kittens. I found a wonderful veterinary hospital that is open 24 hours for emergencies. I think one of the most important things is to find a good vet, that you can trust. I love mine, and I can tell she goes just nuts over my kitten Vlad, and soon I'll be taking his playmate Oksana in too.

I have plenty of toys for them, so they don't get bored. And I've found so far that Fresh Step is a good litter. It's clumping and its good on odor control, but I'm still experimenting.

Also, I've tried to keep things that I know might hurt them away. I've moved lots of things they can possibly knock down that might fall on them, and of course I give them lots of love. I think that's very important. Congratulations on getting Mittens.