Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question for the pill poppers

sissani
May 16th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Those of you who have to give your pet medication, and those of you who give suppliments seperately not in the food, what do you use to give it (if you dont just force it)?

I usually put it in the food, but if I give it seperately, I take a chunk of Merrick can food and mush it in there. If I'm at work though, they get a little roll of braunschweiger. :D

What do your pets eat their pills in?

luckypenny
May 16th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Peanut butter or cream cheese. Peanut butter no longer works for Lucky though. He licks it all off the bread and then spits the teeny little pill out.

Frenchy
May 16th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Bananas, they love it and it's easy to hide the pill in it, and bananas are probiotics (from what I've heard) if I don't have any, it's peanut butter.

breeze
May 16th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I heard of peanut butter but never heard of bananas wow I learn something new evey day

Frenchy
May 16th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Oh and, I must say, when I saw the thread tittle, I tought we were talking about other stuff than animals :D

breeze
May 16th, 2007, 08:11 PM
me too :D

Hunter's_owner
May 16th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Yeah I use peanut butter or Cheese Whiz...

SableCollie
May 16th, 2007, 08:45 PM
We used to put pills in cheese, but lately whenever we get a prescription from the vet, it says "give in food-NO DAIRY". We keep forgetting to ask why no dairy. It has said this on the last half dozen scripts we have gotten, they were all for different meds. :shrug: So now we either just put it in canned food, or for dogs that eat around them, we have Pill Pockets treats, which are pretty crappy little mushy treats that you can mold around the pill. The dogs love them though. With peanut butter the pill usually gets spit out. Worse comes to worst, I physically put the pill in the way back of their mouths, and hold their jaws shut until they swallow. We also have a "piller" that shoots the pills right down their throat, but we don't use that too often.

Frenchy
May 16th, 2007, 08:48 PM
We also have a "piller" that shoots the pills right down their throat, but we don't use that too often.

Just reading it , I had a gag reflex :yuck: :laughing:

Mocha's mum
May 16th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I use cheese. Mocha's caught on to peanut butter. Luckily, I haven't had to give him pills in a while - his Metacam is liquid :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
May 16th, 2007, 09:34 PM
From the first day we get them, we take a piece of kibble or a small treat, sing "Open your mouth and go AHHHHHH", then open their mouths and slide the treat down the side of their mouths to the throat. They get a treat immediately after. You'd be surprised how quickly they learn to open their mouths when they hear that song. :thumbs up That way, when you do have to give them meds, you've got them all trained. And believe me, when you have 6 all on multiple meds a day, as has happened around here, you really appreciate the training! :eek: :D

clm
May 16th, 2007, 10:21 PM
I've never tried to hide the pills in anything. I do the open the dog or cats mouth and pop the pill into the back of their throat. Rub their throat lightly until they lick their nose. I've had to do that with all 4 cats and all of my dogs at one time or another.

Cindy

Hunter's_owner
May 17th, 2007, 06:13 AM
From the first day we get them, we take a piece of kibble or a small treat, sing "Open your mouth and go AHHHHHH", then open their mouths and slide the treat down the side of their mouths to the throat. They get a treat immediately after. You'd be surprised how quickly they learn to open their mouths when they hear that song. :thumbs up That way, when you do have to give them meds, you've got them all trained. And believe me, when you have 6 all on multiple meds a day, as has happened around here, you really appreciate the training! :eek: :D

Hazel that is a great idea!!! Must make it a lot easier. If only I would have started that with Cassie:frustrated:

jessi76
May 17th, 2007, 08:10 AM
I use cream cheese. works great for us everytime. So much so, that Tucker actually thinks cream cheese is officially called "medicine". I say, "time for your medicine" and he gobbles it right up.

hazelrunpack
May 17th, 2007, 09:21 AM
I use cream cheese. works great for us everytime. So much so, that Tucker actually thinks cream cheese is officially called "medicine". I say, "time for your medicine" and he gobbles it right up.

he he Tricky mommy! :D So do you serve bagels with "medicine" for breakfast at your house? Yum! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
May 17th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Hazel that is a great idea!!! Must make it a lot easier. If only I would have started that with Cassie:frustrated:

Cass didn't start till 9 months...Macie and Ridge till 18 months...and Lil Belle at over 2 years--that was when we adopted them. So you could probably start with Cassie now. Just remember, when you intend to put your fingers in her mouth, wrap her lip under her molars in back--it'll prevent her from biting down cuz she won't want to pinch her lip... Hmmm...are beagle lips big enough to wrap like that? Setter lips are pretty big...:o And remember to have another small treat ready to give as a reward. Once a day, twice a day, whatever...it's amazing how well they take to it. :thumbs up he he and don't forget the song...dogs love it when their Humans sound silly :crazy: they've told me so :laughing:

Hunter's_owner
May 17th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Cass didn't start till 9 months...Macie and Ridge till 18 months...and Lil Belle at over 2 years--that was when we adopted them. So you could probably start with Cassie now. Just remember, when you intend to put your fingers in her mouth, wrap her lip under her molars in back--it'll prevent her from biting down cuz she won't want to pinch her lip... Hmmm...are beagle lips big enough to wrap like that? Setter lips are pretty big... And remember to have another small treat ready to give as a reward. Once a day, twice a day, whatever...it's amazing how well they take to it. :thumbs up he he and don't forget the song...dogs love it when their Humans sound silly :crazy: they've told me so :laughing:

Cassie is almost 4 now, and the most stubborn dog I have ever had the opportunity to try to train:rolleyes: :D
I will give it a try though. This recent week of getting her to take her antibiotics has been quite an ordeal:frustrated:
I will try the lip thing too, although her lips are not very big at all.
About the silly noises, I know all about it, :o :laughing:

dtbmnec
May 17th, 2007, 02:40 PM
We've had to use pill poppers (which reminds me I have to go find it/get a new one). It saved on OUR medical bills....:rolleyes:

Megan