Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thunderstorms and cats and dogs

marsupial mama
May 16th, 2007, 09:39 AM
We had a doozy of a thunderstorm in S. Ontario yesterday. Actually a doozy at dawn and a doozy in the evening. A double doozy day.

DH noticed that the cat was "subdued" and kept commenting on it. Today he said that she seems a little livelier.

Apart from the fact that she was spayed last week (and is doing o.k. :) so far), my theory is that it may have been changes in barometric pressure due to the stormy weather that made her more subdued than usual, because anmals are more sensitive to these things.

Or am I just being fanciful?

Anyone else have pets that are affected by the weather?

Longblades
May 16th, 2007, 09:58 AM
One cat I used to have found lightning storms to be tremendously entertaining. She would sit in the window in fascination watching the "light show".

RolandsMom
May 16th, 2007, 09:59 AM
they are certainly affected by barometric pressure. there are countless stories of animals fleeing in the face of storms and earthquakes. it may also be that it scared the hell out of her. i am so glad we dont have many thunderstorms. its so scary for a lot of animals. there are natural sedatives you can give them that calm. Chamomile is supposed to be good and there is stuff that is sold at some pet supply stores too.
Its facinating how animals are so intune with their environment and how much we have lost that ability over time.

jessi76
May 16th, 2007, 10:10 AM
my pets are all over the map during t-storms. Nala (cat) just lounges around like normal. Lulu (other cat) freaks out completely - gets real low to the floor, runs around the house growling trying to find a "safe" spot. and my dog, Tucker, wants to play.

when he was a pup he experienced his first big scary storm - so we played to keep his mind off it, and not make a big deal of what was going on outside - now he thinks t-storms = play time.... :rolleyes:

happycats
May 16th, 2007, 10:30 AM
My one guy "Jay" has in the last 3 years found T-storms very frightening, he actually runs downstairs and pees on the floor :eek:
So last night when the big BOOM hit I followed him with a cloth and cleaner, and sure enough, I had to use it.

hazelrunpack
May 16th, 2007, 10:50 AM
As youngsters, our dogs were afraid of the vacuum cleaner and oblivious of storms. As they're getting older, they're more uncomfortable with storms and absolutely sleep through the vacuuming--even when nudged! :shrug: So far, we've only got one who is really afraid of storms. She usually comes and sits by my feet under the table or comes up for cuddles. We just tell her she'll be fine and remain upbeat and thankfully it hasn't gotten worse. The rest of them take note, but don't usually run off to hide during storms. In their case, they're all reacting to the noise, not the barometric pressure. A large, loud rumbling logger truck will get the same reactions from them.

We used to have a 90-pound black lab who would try to scratch a nest in the flooring during storms. I have fond memories of hubby having to physically pin Luke down and cuddle with him to calm him. he he he I don't think hubby's memories of those storms are nearly as fond as mine--he was doing all the work! :D

clm
May 16th, 2007, 12:09 PM
All my cats are different, my big stray Max, he wanted in the house about 15 minutes before the storm hit, he doesn't normally want in the house this time of year at all, he headed straight for his apartment in the basement with his favorite couch and blankie and he stayed down there until it was all over. :rolleyes:
My little black cat mookie, she's very skittish anyway, so as soon as she hears thunder, she's in her house in the master bedroom. The calico, squeak, she could care a less most of the time, she gets a little freaked out if it's nightime and the lightening is strong or the power goes out.
Gabby the little tabby slept through the whole thing.

Baxter, the keeshond puppy, stood and watched the whole thing at the front door. I think the rain pelting down interested him. One big crack of thunder sent him back from the door briefly, but he went right back seconds later.

My first Kees, Freddie, he was an aggressive dog and very protective of me, but a thunderstorm sent him into a tizzy. He wanted to be with me when a storm hit, and preferably in my lap (he was over 70lbs, not a great option), he would whine and cry and shake, it was terrible. I can remember having to sleep on the bathroom floor with him so he couldn't see the lightening and the thunder wouldn't be as loud....obviously I learned to really hate storms that happened overnight. :p My husband hated it if one hit when I wasn't home, because Freddie wanted his mama :laughing:
Yogi my last kees didn't pay attention to a storm at all. He was wonderful. Looks like little Baxter is going to be more like him that way thank goodness.

Cindy

SableCollie
May 16th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Every time there is a very loud thunderstorm in the summer, we get tons of loose golden retrievers that have escaped their yards in fear of the thunder. Why goldens, I don't know but it's always goldens! It's generally the same dogs every time, the families of the dogs try to make sure they are inside and secure when storms come but sometimes those summer thunderstorms just sneak up on you.

We have one dog (shepherd) in-house now that is terrified of storms and can tell when a storm is approaching. We have to watch the weather and administer an anti-anxiety remedy before the storm starts, or he gets very anxious-pacing, whining, and destructive.

hazelrunpack
May 16th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Speak of the devil...storms headed this way now. :D Cass is already sitting on my feet...she heard the first rumble and headed for safety.

breeze
May 16th, 2007, 02:44 PM
This is the first year for Bree so I really don't know how she will react. I personnaly hate them.
My first dog was scared to death of them could never find a place safe enough for her thought she was going to die of a heart attack one year because of the storms