Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog doesn't want to be left alone

mystic doctor
May 15th, 2007, 10:48 AM
hi. what can i do to my 1 year old huskie? I cannot leave him alone especially at night. He barks and cries the whole night, my neighbors are already complaining. One time i left him alone, when i came back the morning after, he rampaged the whole room. I live in a small apartment in a high rise. Now, i bring him to work at night but it's very difficult for me. Can you recommend anything so he will not make noise when i leave him alone? Anybody tried this k9 calmer? does it actually work? thanks

Winston
May 15th, 2007, 10:54 AM
hi. what can i do to my 1 year old huskie? I cannot leave him alone especially at night. He barks and cries the whole night, my neighbors are already complaining. One time i left him alone, when i came back the morning after, he rampaged the whole room. I live in a small apartment in a high rise. Now, i bring him to work at night but it's very difficult for me. Can you recommend anything so he will not make noise when i leave him alone? Anybody tried this k9 calmer? does it actually work? thanks

First of all I would reccomend a crate. This will no only help you but will stop your puppy from hurting himself. You will need to start out slowly with this and gradually work through it with your dog. There is alot of information on this site that will help you.

What is your puppys name! and welcome to the forum! We all will ask for pictures please!

Cindy

mydogs
May 15th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Been there done that, my two toys are the same, when I leave them my Maltese just groans and cries ,it gets so I always have someone home,I hope there is and answer out there, the cry is pitiful [i recorded to see if he got quiet after a little time],but he didn't ,so sad :sad:

mystic doctor
May 15th, 2007, 11:06 AM
pls forgive my ignorance but is a crate same as a dog cage? if it is i dont think it is practical for him coz he is a very big dog and he can be very destructive when he is stressed out.

SnowDancer
May 15th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Do you work the night shift on a regular basis? If not, when you leave during the day does your husky cry to same extent? I have an Eskimo so I know all about separation anxiety. Also, my guy, while a small Standard, weighing 22 lbs. fits into a crate, he has crate terrors and can eat his way out of anything - very big teeth. The Husky and Eskimo share similar temperaments. His best friend where is gets boarded is a Husky - and fortunately my guy also loves the dog boarder - Eskies are rather particular about who they will let into their circle. Living in an apartment can be rough with a Husky - and if you are working nights, finding a daycare situation will be hard. If you also work days, maybe you can find a day care. My guy goes to socialization every Thurs. to give him (and me) a break - plus it helps him to play with the other dogs - in a controlled environment. I expect the thunderstorms this morning didn't help - also live in Toronto.

Winston
May 15th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Yes...a crate is a cage....Size shouldnt really matter unless you have no room for it. My dog is 110lbs and I have an extra large crate....He no longer stays in it with it locked but he used to. He was in it until we established that he could be trusted..He was 3 years old then and he has free roam of the house now...he is 8 years old now...My boy really enjoyed the crate...it was like his little den.... I dont know alot about husky's but I am sure someone will have some great advise here on the forum.

Good Luck

Cindy

~michelle~
May 15th, 2007, 03:46 PM
i have huskies that can be very distructive when left alone, so i crate them. crates can cause controversy but if used effectively they can be enjoyable habitats.
huskies often exhibit these behaviours due to lack of activity a 1 year old husky can easily require 2 hours + of high intensity physical activity daily. i find my life much easier when the dogs have run for a long time (walks usually dont cut it for this high energy breed)
you will notice prob over the next 6 months your husky start to calm a bit, but they will always remain a high energy breed.
if increasing exercise and cratinf doesnt work i would go to the vet and examine more in to separtation anxiety (which crates help alot with)

bendyfoot
May 15th, 2007, 04:16 PM
If you're going to try crate-training (which I personally think all dogs should do at some point, best as puppies), make sure you get a carrier-style crate, not one with metal bars. If your pup is prone to freaking out and being destructive, he's less likely to injure himself with a plastic crate (ex. getting a paw stuck in the bars or something).
Like some others have said, a tired dog is more likely to be a good dog, so exercise, exercise, exercise. Separation anxiety can be a really tough one to lick, but consistency and a good schedule can help. It may be useful to work with a professional trainer to get you started on a routine of desentization and crate work. Good luck!