Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet-safe bug sprays??

marsupial mama
May 15th, 2007, 05:56 AM
We have a problem with ants (in the house = ick) and CENTIPEDES (UGH!!) :yell: ... I want to spray all around the house to get rid of them, especially the centipedes (I would prefer spiders to those beasts).

Is there any spray or powder that is effective but safe when there are pets in the house? I don't want my kitty to be harmed by my bug-fighting efforts.

TIA

happycats
May 15th, 2007, 07:20 AM
LOL I just received this household tip via email!

Get Rid of Ants
>>>>> > Put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants. They
>>>>> > eat it, take it "home" but can't digest it, so it
>>>>> > kills them. It may take a week or so, especially if
>>>>> > it rains, but it works and you don't have the worry
>>>>> > about pets or small children being harmed.

As for the other, I know Bay leaves work great for other bugs (roaches)

marsupial mama
May 15th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Thanks - the cornmeal may be worth a try.

The bay leaves didn't work on roaches when I lived in a crummy apt in T.O. :yell: Neither did the chili powder or "Chinese chalk", not even when I wrote "Die, cockroach, die" on the backs of cupboards... :evil:

Does anyone have info specifically on centipedes? I hate those things and the conniptions from certain family members when one appears... :rolleyes:

happycats
May 15th, 2007, 10:13 AM
The bay leaves didn't work on roaches when I lived in a crummy apt in T.O. :yell: Neither did the chili powder or "Chinese chalk", not even when I wrote "Die, cockroach, die" on the backs of cupboards... :evil:

LMAO!!!!http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/077.gif

SableCollie
May 15th, 2007, 01:55 PM
http://www.pestwall.com/pestwall-articles/centipede-weed-control.htm

How to Control Centipedes?
Outdoor Control
If you find that centipedes are coming into the house in great numbers it is more than likely that there are a lot more outside. Removing materials from outside is the first call in centipede prevention, as this will remove the pest's shelter. This can include:-

* Rocks
* Boards
* Any Debris around the garden

Centipedes thrive on moist, humid areas and so the first step in preventing them is to make your home as dry as possible. There are actually forms of grass that can help to repel insects and one of those is called 'centipede grass'. It has no relevance to centipede insect but it can repel them. Centipede grass is weed-free so you shouldn't use centipede weed control.

As they thrive on moist areas, rotting logs and grass clippings can be an ideal nesting ground for these creatures. so everything should be cleared away. You should mow the lawn frequently as this makes the garden drier and less appealing to the centipede.

Another thing to look out for is cracks around windows and doors. If you do see any you should fill them as soon as possible. This will not only stops the centipede getting in but it will also stop other bugs from entering the home.

Insecticides can also be used if the problem is severe but it is recommended that you leave them as a last resort because of the potential damage they can cause. If you do use an insecticide you should spray it around the house especially around entry points such as windows and doors. Insecticides do not always work the first time so you should expect to use two to three treatments before you eliminate the problem.
Indoor Control
Indoor centipede control is the next step in controlling the creatures.

If there wasn't any food for the centipede to eat in your house, it wouldn't keep coming back. This means that the first step in stopping centipedes in their tracks is to cut down their food supply. You can do this by buying 'sticky traps' which trap other insects. Pest control companies sell these and they have been proven to be highly effective.

You should check for any cracks in walls or around entry points. Make sure if there are any you cover them up and fill them as soon as possible. Check for cracks and gaps in floorboards, basements and under appliances.

Using dehumidifiers will also help as they will take all the moisture out of the room. This can be particularly useful in moist rooms such as a toilet/bathroom or basement.

If you do follow the tips above, you should have a pest free zone in no time.

It looks like prevention is key, all of the pesticides that kill centipedes seem to be pretty toxic.

marsupial mama
May 15th, 2007, 05:12 PM
I think the centipedes were here before we were. The house was rented out for quite a few years before we bought it and is a bit run down, it wasn't one of those "original owner newly redecorated" deals :rolleyes: Been seeing centipedes in spring (this is our 2nd spring here) since we moved in.

I found out that centipedes eat spiders. Darn. I like spiders and don;t like to kill them. i usually do the trap and release thing.

Before we got the kitty I would happily spray when the kids were at school. Now I am really worried about using sprays.

I'll look for centipede grass. If it is a perennial and pretty it is very welcome in my garden :thumbs up

Any other ideas would be hugely appreciated...

coppperbelle
May 15th, 2007, 08:38 PM
LOL I just received this household tip via email!

Get Rid of Ants
>>>>> > Put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants. They
>>>>> > eat it, take it "home" but can't digest it, so it
>>>>> > kills them. It may take a week or so, especially if
>>>>> > it rains, but it works and you don't have the worry
>>>>> > about pets or small children being harmed.

As for the other, I know Bay leaves work great for other bugs (roaches)

I am going to try this out. The only problem I can see is that it may attract mice.

bendyfoot
May 16th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Sorry, the cornmeal won't work for centipedes. Unlike ants, who eat anything, centipedes are strictly hunters...they only eat other insects. Eliminating damp hidey-holes in the house might help, but I've lived with these before too (I'm guessing they're the really fast, REALLY long-legged type?) Gross, but harmless. Try showing them to kitty!! Our cats thought they were great fun to chase and eat! Talk about natural control!

marsupial mama
May 16th, 2007, 10:34 AM
I am going to try this out. The only problem I can see is that it may attract mice.

That's all i need :yell: The cat might be entertained but as we got her @ 8 weeks old I far she may not have graduated from 'feline hunter school'... and certain family members would holler louder than they do at the sight of a centipede. (The rest would want to adopt them as pets...)

Looking for damp hidey holes would entail going into the crawlspace, i guess. :eek:

These bugs are pretty fast moving, I can't say quite how long their legs are but there are so many they look sort of frilly in a repulsive kind of way. When you do manage to kill one with a slipper or whatever they sort of break into bits and the legs on the bits carry on wriggling for a while. :sorry: Which is why I hate killing them. It's gross.

Right now I really wish there was a truly-pet-safe chemical product I could 'bomb' the place with... :frustrated:

SnowDancer
May 16th, 2007, 11:33 AM
When I kill centipedes - and spiders - I particularly hate spiders, I dampen a paper towel and then cover it with baking soda to stun the devils and then I squeeze the paper towel with all of my strength. The centipedes seem to be getting bigger, stronger, harder to kill - and not to mention - more athletic. Also with spiders - NEVER flush them down a toilet as they seem to be able to swim. I have read my husband the riot act on this a number of times and have read some hilarious stories about this subject on a home forum.

JanM
May 16th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Have a look at this site - http://eartheasy.com/live_natpest_control.htm

I was looking for wasp control methods and found this site - very interesting! They have info on ants and lots of other little critters..