Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog marking

smvanslyke
May 14th, 2007, 11:27 PM
I rescued a dog about 2 years ago and ever since he has been peeing/marking in the house whenever we leave him alone. He only does it when we are not around. We have tried putting dog diapers on him and he will soak the diapers. I don't want to get rid of him because he is a really good dog and gets along great with our cats, but I can't stand the dog pee smell in the house anymore. Also, I am about 3 months pregnant and I am afraid he will pee on the baby stuff if I ever leave anything low enough for him to pee on. He will usually pee on the corner of the couch or on my laundry baskets with clean clothes in them. Any suggestions as to why he does this or how we can stop him from doing it????

Thanks,

Sherry

sissani
May 14th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Is he neutered? If not, neutering will really help with that.

Have you crate trained him? Why not just put him in a crate when you are not there to monitor him and stop him from peeing on things?

smvanslyke
May 14th, 2007, 11:51 PM
He is neutered. We have not tried crate training....it seems as though he sneaks off and marks when we are not looking....not just when we are gone. Also, he pees all over my back yard on everything and now everytime I go outside all I smell is his pee. Any ideas on how to control that?

jessi76
May 15th, 2007, 09:04 AM
first I'd start with a health check at the vet - to be sure his excessive urinating isn't a medical issue. If all is clear, then it's a behavioral problem.

you'll need to crate or contain the dog to ONE area (easily cleanable) while you are not home or if you are unable to WATCH him. i.e. use a crate, or baby gate the dog into an area (not carpeted) like a kitchen or bathroom.

You'll need to also train the dog. having a smaller fenced in area is helpful. We have one side of our yard fenced for our dog - its his area, he's welcome to use every square inch of it. this way the remainder of my yard is doggy poo/pee free. it makes it easier to clean up the poo (all in one area), and no one has to worry about stepping in a "land mine" elsewhere in the yard.

If I were you, I'd research crate training, and invest in a crate and a fenced area in the yard. Then contact a trainer to teach you positive training methods to curb this behavior. I think you'll get the best (and fastest) results using a professional trainer. Since you are already 3 mths pregnant, you'll need to get this behavior under control sooner than later. You must be committed to change though, you'll need to learn training techniques and apply them DAILY.

btw, you never mentioned what type of dog and how old. (not that it makes a heck of alot of difference though)

mydogs
May 15th, 2007, 04:09 PM
was there another dog that wet in your house? he may be wetting over the spots a previous dog wet.

mydogs
May 15th, 2007, 04:13 PM
He needs a vet to rule out kidney problems,and also cushings syndrome, if he has kidney problems the problem will stop after the infection clears.