Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nervous peeing

Annnoe
May 14th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Whenever anyone comes to the house, our puppy runs to greet them and pees almost on their shoes !! What I do now, is hold onto her collar, take her to the people and keep her back while she pees. She even does it sometimes when I come home after a few hours. Is it something she will grow out of?:dog:

BMDLuver
May 14th, 2007, 06:00 PM
That's quite common and is considered submissive peeing. Don't hold her back and suggest to all who enter to ignore her until she is calm and approaches them for attention. Same with yourself, arrive home, ignore her, head out the back door and let her do her necessities. When she's relaxed she'll come to you without the puddles. It is something they grow out of.

Ford Girl
May 15th, 2007, 10:39 AM
My pup does this and has since day one, now she is 8 months (today actually!) and still does it. I keep a swifer wet jet by the door, and an old mat on the floor that can be washed if needed and all my friends know about it, they are aware that there will be pee, and when we go out, we always have people come out of their house to greet her outside, people seem to understand and appreciate that I am prepared to clean it up. I keep paper towels in my bait bag. Also, I put her out to pee before people arrive and when I come home, we go straight outside.

The only thing that I have heard is that when their bladder grows they will be able to control it more, but it may be something she will always do. She seems to do it more with people she absolultly loves, manageing it and educating my friends is all I can do at this point.

And I agree, holding her back makes a worse mess, the pee still comes but she scrambles and flops and spreads it around all the more, then instead of just wiping the floor I have to bath her too.

bendyfoot
May 15th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Jaida did this too, and still does occasionally when she is greeted by our older dog in the morning, when she has a full bladder. It's normal, submissive puppy stuff, and by doggie standards, is polite greeting behaviour.
We found that she would "piddle" more readily if we stood over her as we greeted her, and that crouching/kneeling down to her level reduced the number of puddles. Also, we cleaned up these piddles when she wasn't looking, usually some time after the fact, so that there was no reinforcement/acknowledgement of the behaviour at all - ignoring this behaviour is usually recommended, as it is different from their usual "business". True housebreaking "accidents" result in a big "NO", followed by being whisked out of the house to finish the deed, which then gets big praise. Submissive piddling - no acknowledgement at all.
Good luck!