Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Natural Alternative...fleas, ticks, mosquitos

Luba
April 23rd, 2004, 09:12 PM
I've been doing some research and I'd like to share it with you all regarding natural alternatives to harmful chemicals.

Some of these are alternatives to what we put on our pets and what we spray on our lawns. If you follow the links there is even greater information.

I hope this is beneficial to you, and that you enjoy the read.

From Greenpeace

http://www.greenpeaceusa.org/living/001013_ants.html

Ticks and fleas:

Before implementing any of the suggestions below, consult your veterinarian.
If your pets are infested, wash them well with soap and warm water, dry them thoroughly. Use a special, narrow tooth flea comb to remove any remaining adult fleas and eggs. Drop them into the soapy water.
Then, use this herbal rinse: add 1/2 cup (125 ml) of fresh or dried rosemary to 1 quart/liter of boiling water. Steep 20 minutes, strain, and allow to cool to body temperature. Spray or sponge evenly onto pet and allow to air dry. Do not towel down as this will remove the residue. Make sure pets are dry before letting them outside.

Other natural flea repellants include eucalyptus, citronella, cedarwood, pennyroyal (only fresh or dried leaves; the oil is highly toxic to both humans and pets), and black walnut leaves. You'll find these ingredients in "essential oil" flea dips or herbal flea collars.
Herbal repellents are most useful once the flea population is under control. Pyrethrum powders, made from Chrysanthemum flowers, can generally be used directly on pets. Avoid getting powder into pet's eyes, nostrils, mouth. Wear a dust mask. When cats clean themselves, they will ingest some, so don't over apply, and powder only when necessary.
Vacuum the house frequently at the beginning of your treatment for fleas. Seal and dispose of the vacuum bag away from pets and outside the house. Clean pet bedding regularly. Steam clean the carpet; this will kill adult fleas, the larvae and some eggs. The heat will trigger some of the eggs to hatch, so be prepared to vacuum soon after steam cleaning. Apply a dusting of diatomaceous earth or silica gel to pet bedding, under furniture and around house's foundation.

From Gardens Alive
http://www.gardens-alive.com/item_display.asp?ProductNumber=3140&PROG_NBR=12

Insect Growth (I.G.) Regulator is similar to an insect growth hormone.

It works by disrupting the flea's life cycle so that flea eggs and larvae don't develop into adults.

Mix 1 ounce with 1 gallon of water to spray 1,500 square feet of carpets, furniture, pet sleeping areas and lawns. (Won't harm fabrics.) Effective for 7 months. (Use other products to kill fleas on your pets just before or after you use I.G. Regulator). 4 ounces covers 6,000 sq. ft.
3140 Insect Growth Regulator 1 oz (covers 1,500 sq ft) $12.95 Quantity
3141 Insect Growth Regulator 4 oz (covers 6,000 sq ft) $34.99 Quantity

From BioControl
http://www.biconet.com/pets/fleaPack.html
Dog Flea & Tick Relief, 2 pack
For Dogs

Vet's Best Dog Flea & Tick Relief combines 8 oz bottles of All-in-1 Flea Relief Shampoo and All-in-1 Herbal Relief Spray. Dramatic relief for flea allergy dermatitis, raw "hot spots," itching and scratching, and ticks.

All-in-1 Flea Shampoo
All-in-1 Flea Shampoo controls fleas with pure, natural d' Limonene from citrus sources while at the same time soothing sore, irritated skin with Oatmeal and Tea Tree Oil. These non-toxic shampoos are available in both dog and cat formulas.

Contains:
D-Limonene, Micronized Oatmeal, Tea Tree Oil, Aloe Vera, Lavender, Citronella, Bay Leaf Extract, Eucalyptus Oil, Pennyroyal Oil.

All-in-1 Flea Relief Herbal Spray

Natural All-in-1 Flea Relief Herbal Spray with oatmeal was developed by a veterinarian to give pests fast relief from itching and other skin problems due to flea infestation. D'Limonene from citrus sources, Tea Tree Oil, micronized oatmeal and a unique blend of herbs are combined in a soothing, non-toxic spray.

Contains:
Micronized Oatmeal, D'Limonene, Tea Tree Oil, Aloe Vera, Chamomile, Calendula, Yucca, Chrysanthemum, Lavender.

Ecozone Pyrethrum Insect Powder

Pure powder derived from 100% African Chrysanthemum flowers.

Pyrethrum Powder is toxic to fleas, roaches, ants, silverfish and many other insects. It can be mixed with diatomaceous Earth and/or Boric Acid for an even more effective kill ratio. This product is 100% organic.

BT4550 Pyrethrum Powder, 7 oz. (0.7#) $11.95
BT4551 Pyrethrum Powder, 5 lb. (5.2#) $70.00

Mosquito Barrier

Mosquito Barrier kills and chases mosquitoes, ticks and fleas out of your yard and away from your house immediately upon spraying and keeps them out for 2 to 4 weeks, sometimes longer. It's lasting effects are shortened by excessive rain and humidity. It is often effective though 2 to 3 rain storms. Occasionally two sprays are sufficient for an entire summer. The Garlic odor disappears in about 30 minutes. Mosquito Barrier is a very strong Liquid Garlic that is diluted in water and sprayed on grass, shrubs, flowers and into any trees in the area. One quart of Mosquito Barrier may be enough for the average lawn for the entire mosquito season. One gallon covers 5 acres or covers 1 acre 5 times and is all natural with no harmful chemicals or poisons.

How Mosquito Barrier Works:
Mosquito Barrier is a very strong liquid garlic made from very potent garlic cloves. Garlic has a natural sulfur which deters insects, including mosquitoes, ticks and fleas. Garlic juice has been used for over a hundred years on garden plants to keep insects away. It's the sulfur that the insects don't like.

Lucky Rescue
April 24th, 2004, 09:41 AM
If your pets are infested, wash them well with soap and warm water, dry them thoroughly

If I'm going to do that to 3 feral cats, I better have one of these::D

http://img49.photobucket.com/albums/v151/garygny/mr9013.jpg

chico2
April 24th, 2004, 09:45 AM
I don't think Luba really understand the perils of trying to bath(I never have) or dust or do anything to a cat that he/she does not want done ;)

woodbyter
April 24th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Is that a feudal suit of armor from King Author's court?

A feudal suit of armor would be futil in de fleaing feral cats-You'd rust out.

I need coffee...... :p

Luba
April 24th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Hey man I just cut and pasted that stuff LMAO

I wouldn't try to bathe a cat that didnt' want it either..however I am considering the products mentioned, they are worth a try.

LR when you're done with that suit send it here..Sadie's still teething!!! :eek:

Lucky Rescue
April 24th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Sadie the Land Shark - LOL!

I have a really cute cartoon, but am too lazy to scan it so you'll have to use your imagination:

- A Flight for Life helicopter has landed, and a man totally swathed in bloody bandages is being loaded on a stretcher.

"Victim of a stabbing?" asks the pilot.

"No" says the EMT worker "He tried to give his cat a pill".:D

Here is a recipe for a spray that is supposed to keep bugs and mosquitoes away from your patio, etc. Haven't tried it yet!

Take a BIG fat lemon (the more rind the better) and slice it paper thin. Put
in a bowl with a tablespoon of crushed rosemary leaves (or a 6 inch sprig of
fresh). Pour over with a quart of hot, near boiling water. Let steep
overnight. Strain and put into a large spray bottle. Keep in fridge. Shake
well before applying

amaruq
April 24th, 2004, 04:37 PM
I bought a horse mosquitoe repellant. Basically it's citronala. ROFL!!!!@ Sadie!!!!

Luba
April 25th, 2004, 05:53 PM
LAND SHARK hahahhaha!!!

Chany
April 26th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Amaruq, do you spray it all over? I've used it on my dogs before and it really does work!! And I've sprayed our front door with it but didn't like the smell.
But I think that was fly repellent for horses or is it the same?

Luba
April 26th, 2004, 12:10 PM
I think I'm gonna buy that garlic spray for the yard!

melanie
April 26th, 2004, 07:13 PM
hi there guys, havent seen you all in ages, sorry and missed you all. hey i give charlie garlic cloves about 1 or 2 a week and that also helps with the fleas. mum said to rub garlic juice on her but i dont think so, thats a little over the top and god would she stink. recently had a plague of fleas and it has been crazy. i bath her regularly in baby shampoo (dont use chemical baths, to harsh for her) and put a flea and tick repellant on her called frontline and also dust her in this chicken mite stuff i got a while back and the vet said it was fine for fleas and dogs. but they are still there. i was thinking of adding some eucalyptus to her shampoo. the other week the poor girl had a bath and i thought i got all fleas. well i turned her over for a look and there were heaps on her, but sadly they were all inside a VERY private area. rang the vet immeadiatly, i paniced (try explaining that to a male vet, he is still laughing at me) and he said that they ran for the dry spot when the bath started and just wait for them to come out. they did eventually but boy did i feel sorry for her, how uncomfortable. god i hate fleas, they tyruly are the bane of my existance. :mad: :mad:

Spoiled
April 26th, 2004, 09:18 PM
I saw some dog soap made specialy with citronella added. It smelled so good I was going to get some for myself, but then I saw the lable!!! :p

Luba
April 26th, 2004, 09:22 PM
w/b melanie :D nice 2 have u around again!

Spoiled, don't worry. I use the same products on myself that I do on my dogs!!

Spoiled
April 26th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Really? Hahaha, do you eat dog treats, to? I went into this pet store, and the sales person said that Mountain Bones are her favourite snack! This was a person!

Luba
April 26th, 2004, 09:38 PM
LOL

Silly goose I mean I use all natural products on myself from organic/health food stores...and also use them on Sadie :p