Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Toxic Litter

mona_b
April 23rd, 2004, 04:40 PM
I picked up a little magazine that they put out at the gym in their Booster Juice part.This magazine is called The Natural Healer.Take charge of your life.It has an artical on it about the clumping litter.I wish there was a link to it.But I will tell you what it says about it.

It says:
Cats are clean creatures that groom themselves frequently.When they lick their paws and injest clay clumping litter,the moister in the digestive track can cause the litter to clump in their intestines.Once the litter is in the intestine,it continues to draw moisture out of the cats body,leading to dehydration and potentially death.Kittens starting to use the litter box will ingest alot more litter and dust than the adult cat because they are in the learning process.
The other risks:
The dust can act like a poison by causing irritation to the cats respitory passages,thus producing coughing,sneezing,runnyeyes,and ofter wheezing.Cats lungs can become coated with the dust from the litter.Some cats have reportedly vomited a yellow frothy liquid and had yellow,slimy diarrhea and were mistakenly diagnosed with viral infections.Manufacturers of these litters may try to tell you that these concerns are merely rumours.Holistic Vets have reported a rise in immune system problems,respitory distress,irritable bowel syndrome and frequent vomiting(other than fur)in cats that routinely use clumping clay litters.Problems have also been reported in dogs that "snack" out of the litter box.Autopsies reveled that the stomachs of these dogs were filled with clumping clay litter.

Sorry this was a long one.But I thought it would help out others who use this.
I have never used it.And after reading this,I never will.

Luba
April 23rd, 2004, 05:43 PM
Imagine what we breath in as well

Catt31
April 23rd, 2004, 10:06 PM
WTF??????? Thats insane...and very scary!! I've only EVER used clumping litter....12 years worth!! My poor girl!! Anyone else heard about this???? I'm doing some more research man...thats scary as hell!!! :eek:

chico2
April 23rd, 2004, 10:32 PM
I have heard about it,there is a reason it cannot go into the toilet,it's like cement!!! But even regular clay-litter is bad for your cat,even worse in a covered pan where the cats really breath in the dust.
I've used clumping litter for the past year,mostly because of reduced dust and I keep a rough rug in front of the boxes in case they have litter on their paws,not to protect the house,but for them to lose any litter in their paws.
OMG this Forum is like reading a medical-book yourself and start to imagine you are dying from some desease,it seems whatever you do there is always some danger lurking :confused:

mona_b
April 23rd, 2004, 10:36 PM
It is scary.

This artical was written by Lee Bothamley and Mike McKegney.They are co-owners of "Healthy Paws Pet Food and Supplies" as well as "Natures Herbs For Pets"...They are located in Sarnia...I also have the number.

Check this link out.It was also in this magazine.....

http://www.pristine-inspirations.com/Page.htm

Luba,you would like this magazine...It's all about natural and holistic foods.And organic too...

Luba,have you heard of the "Neem" tree?

Here is another link

http://www.naturespetherbs.com/

Click on the bottom of the page for more info.

Luba
April 24th, 2004, 05:16 PM
OH tx Mona bahhhhlongna
I just saw this now and gonna go looksee thank ya luv!

mona_b
April 25th, 2004, 09:02 AM
yvw Luba BOOOOOBAAAAA..........LOL

Here is a link to the magazine.

http://www.thenaturalhealer.ca/

The one I have is the Winter 2003/04

You can also subscribe to it....Or just pop into Premeir Fitness(booster Juice part) and take one.They are free. :D

freckle
April 25th, 2004, 10:23 AM
im in the u.k so i dont know if you guys get this brand in the u.s
i use "thomas" cat litter.its like gravel and when you pour it, it creates a lot of dust,when its wet it dosnt stick together it stays seperated but stays wet.
is this the same as clumping litter?
i think ill go back to the wood chip stuff just in case
,it smelt a lot better too.
x

mona_b
April 25th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Well with the clumping,as soon as it gets wet,it sticks together and forms a hard mass.Sodium Bentonite is whats added to this litter to increse the clumping.

Check the ingredient in your litter to see if that is in it.But it doesn't sound like the clumping if it stay seperate when it's wet.

I have also seen the crystal litters.But haven't tried it.And I don't know anyone who has.