Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Changing Food/Diarrhea

JanM
May 13th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Is diarrhea common when changing a dog's food? I started Bobby on 1/4 cup of his new food - mixed with his old food - no problem. That went on for about a week. Yesterday I upped it to 1/2 cup - still mixed - but now he has diarrhea.

Should I keep up the 1/2 cup, change back to 1/4 cup or ?????

Your collective wisdom will be appreciated!

Prin
May 13th, 2007, 06:40 PM
No, that's not normal. I think he's conflicting with the food... Maybe go back to the original food and try a different one. :o

rainbow
May 13th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I agree. What's the new food you're adding? Does it have the same protein and carbs as the original?

JanM
May 13th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the info - No - it is not the same type of food. I am changing from Go Natural Salmon formula to Go Natural Grain Free. Tonight he had only the Go Natural Salmon so we'll see how he does overnight.

TeriM
May 13th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Um, correct me if I'm remembering wrong but did you not have problems with the regular Go Natural?. If so I'd say he is probably intolerant to the proteins and is doing well cause the salmon has none of those particular proteins.

Riley was that way when we tried the Wild n Natural. Did ok to start with adding a bit but the more we gave the worse he got until we had a full blown puking/diarrhea reaction :sad: .

Prin
May 13th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Could be the chicken. :shrug:

JanM
May 13th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Bobby had trouble with the Go Natural Chicken - only because he gained weight on it - that's why I switched to the Salmon formula. He has lost 2 lbs in one month - the vet suggested he lose 10 more lbs and recommended the Hills w/d diet formula. I could not offer it to Bobby (high corn content and high corn gluten content) so figured the Grain Free would be a way to go to (hopefully) lose weight but also because, from what I've read, grains are not a "natural" food for dogs.

Prin
May 13th, 2007, 08:47 PM
I'd switch to Barking at the moon... If he's ok on fish, stick with the fish. JMO...

rainbow
May 13th, 2007, 10:34 PM
I would try the Orijen 6 Fish & Sea Vegetables when it comes out next month.

JanM
May 13th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Well, I just checked on the Net and to get either the Barking at the Moon or the Orijen dog food, I'll have to go to Nanaimo or Duncan - no-one in town carries them (so far). I'll look into both products - Thank You!

Prin
May 14th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I would try the Orijen 6 Fish & Sea Vegetables when it comes out next month.

I agree totally (I didn't suggest it because it's not out yet :p :D).

Ford Girl
May 14th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Hi, when we switched Dazy from Nutro to Orijen, we did the mix for over a week, and she was super sick, the runs like you wouldn't believe, after a week of trying to transition her I contacted my vet and the Orijen customer service line, both told me when going from grain to no grain, you don't mix it, go right from one to another, they are not balanced to be mix, so basically we were making her very sick. We fasted her for 12 hours, then did 1 day/2 meals of rice and chicken, no kibble, then went to Orijen only, no problem. I was upset that the food store didn't tell me this when I bought my first bag of Orijen, there should be info on the bag stating this. It's also very rich, we started with only 3/4 cup each meal, and gradually got up to 1.5. I added a spoon of pure pumpkin to each meal for the first 2 weeks.

Not sure if that applies to other grain free foods or not, thought it was worth mentioning it. Good luck!!

JanM
May 14th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Interesting info, FordGirl - thank you.. Tomorrow I will give him his regular amount but of the Grain Free only. No-one at the pet store said a thing about that to me either! If he transitions ok, I'll let them know..

SuperWanda
May 14th, 2007, 06:12 PM
When I switched to Orijen I didn't have that problem. Transitioned from grainy to no grains slowly and didn't notice any diarrhea. I did notice an increase in poops but that got better after a few weeks.

Every doggie is different I guess but like the others said - maybe there is just some ingredient that does not agree with him?