Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question for you parents

angeldogs
May 13th, 2007, 12:33 PM
My question is.do any of you parents have your kid(s) in karate.
what has it done for them other then physical fitness.
were thinking of putting my son into kickboxing and just wanted to know how it's help the kids.

joeysmama
May 13th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I never had my kids in karate. They didn't show an interest in it and we concentrated on the areas where they had their passion and their talent. But I know people who have been involved in karate and I think it's a great activity for kids. It's physical which is always great, keeps them moving etc. And it teaches discipline. And they have goals to to work towards so there's a measure of achievement and a feeling of accomplishment.

Does your son want to give it a try? We let our kids try a number of activities. We just put a limit on how many things they could do at any given time. We did soccer and baseball once, at the same time. After that there was a "one sport a season" rule. And other activities had to be in moderate amounts too. They can't be running every minute. But if they did try out a new sport or club they had to finish out the season. Fulfill their committment before they were allowed to quit.

But by trying a few things they ended up sticking with the things they really liked. My son played baseball all through school and played for fun in college. He also plays the saxophone and the guitar.

My daughter loved dance and stayed with dance lessons. She now works at the Boston Ballet. She plays the clarinet--quite well.

I think it's great to let your son try it out. If he loves it then you've found a great healthy activity. If he doesn't love it--well he'll probably still come away having learned something. So what can it hurt to try?

Puppyluv
May 13th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Well, I'm not a parent, but growing up, I was in karate, and I was told that it really gave me a lot of discipline. I was kind of unruly before I started, and it helped me focus my energy. It also taught me a lot about respect, virtue, leadership and responsibility. If someone was late, they couldn't enter, and we couldn't use someone else as an excuse for being late.
I don't know if kickboxing has the same focus on respect and discipline as karate does, in karate we had to have a kokoro (a specific, proper attitude), but I don't think kick boxing has that same focus, since kickboxing is just a form of sparring.

joeysmama
May 13th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Oh good point Puppyluv !! Karate and kickboxing are very different arent' they?

TeriM
May 13th, 2007, 02:26 PM
My nephew does Tai Kwon Do and it has been amazing for him. He isn't the most focused child (unless video games) and didn't enjoy team sports much but has totally loves and respects this sport and has made a ton of new friends.

angeldogs
May 13th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Yes my son wants to try it.we go next saturday for a free lession.
and my daughter wants to try dance.but she has the attenion span of a bumble bee.the place also teaches kungfu and are bringing in boxing.
TeriM thats my son he only focuses on computer or video games.

happycats
May 13th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I ,like you want to have my son join my in either karate or kick boxing as well, so thanks for starting this thread.
My DH wants him in Moi ti (sp) but I don't think they have that around here.
I guess I am worried will learn to fight, and may use it the wrong way, I would never want him to be violent.

joeysmama
May 13th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Happycats, I think violence comes from an emotional place. I think it has more to do with anger than with having learned the physical skill. I would think that maybe knowing how to defend yourself would make you feel more confident and less inclined to be frustrated and angry? :shrug:

Skryker
May 13th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Happycats, of all the people that I have ever known that studied a martial art, only one was a bully-and the place that he learned from had a reputation for turning out bullies. A good teacher teaches respect for yourself and others and that to be a martial artist means to have enough self control NOT to brawl in the street.

My daughter is interested but my husband and I can't find a teacher that seems to have the attitude we're looking for. :shrug: We'll keep looking. I'd like to take up Tai Chi again, myself. I loved it.

Wayne, a free lesson is a great idea! Give you both a taste of what to expect.

Muay Thai kickboxing is a very disciplined art and philosophy and not just sparring but it is also very difficult and demanding, not to mention tough on the arms and legs. If you get Men TV, check out Mind, Body and Kick-@ss Moves. I think it's on Sundays-it's hosted by a martial artist, who travels around the world meeting masters of various types of Martial Arts. Very interesting.

angeldogs
May 14th, 2007, 12:10 PM
The place we looked at we found out it's one of our neibours grandson.and there a nice family.i would like to try it.but the only but the only day i could do it would be saturday.but this young/old feeling body would not take it.:D
with a tractor trailer wreck.and stupid stuff when i was a kid.it hurts to move most days.my son's all excited to try it out on sat.:fingerscr that he likes it.
as i think it will be good for him all around.

Crestedcrazy
May 14th, 2007, 05:25 PM
My youngest son was not into it at all when he was little but once he became an adult he really got into it, he does the Kyokushin martial arts and meditation is a big part too which he finds helps with focus in the real world as well.

However you have to be prepared for things like this to happen, my son is Topher the one getting KO'ed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYD83cwl3CU

HunterXHunter
May 15th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I know a few people who do kendo (japanese wooden sword fighting) and that appears to be safer despite the description.

it's like fencing in the olympics....except with a 2-handed wooden sword (more like a stick), and you wear armor doing it too so it's actually quite safe.

angeldogs
May 15th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Wow crestedcrazy.how was he after he came through.
they said in the begining he would learn control of punching and kicking as to not hurt himself or someone else.then they will learn the proper way to fall.we are leading towards the kungfu.i have been asking people with younger kids in it.and they said it's made a differance for the better in them.
we will see on saturday if he's going to like it or not.if he does we will sign him up for 3 months.

Thank you everyone.know i have some different styles i can mention to him if he's not interested on sat.he is exicted about it.

Crestedcrazy
May 16th, 2007, 01:35 PM
He was fine afterwards, he was taken to the hospital to get checked out then let go after a couple hours, just part of the gig I guess!

the guy who elbowed him in the head has been in this for a couple years and my boy was a beginner, just a few months but even so he still loves it!

angeldogs
May 17th, 2007, 04:03 AM
Thats good.the closer saturday comes the more excited my little man gets.
so hopefully he likes it.if not will try to find something else.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 21st, 2007, 09:23 AM
My kids will be starting karate soon. They both went for there free lesson and really liked. My older one did kick boxing about two years ago. But was pretty disinterested. The sensei at this new karate place is really good. He wont let the kids sign up until they tell him that they want too.:)

Purpledomino
May 21st, 2007, 07:44 PM
Angeldogs, both my son and daughter trained in Taekwondo for approximately six years, each advancing to a black black belt. They both learned so much from their training...discipline, respect, courtesy, even some Korean. They memorize many patterns as they advance in levels, never forgetting any, and I was amazed that they were able to remember so much. I imagine that karate is very similar, I think they call them Katas. Sparring is only one part of martial arts, and usually classes are closely regulated so that physical contact is minimal. Students are taught to never misuse the martial art that they have learned, and a good instructor will teach them when they can use the techniques. You can see a bit more physical sparring at tournament, and it can get intense with the older kids. Keep in mind that sparring gear is mandatory, as is a mouthguard and a cup for the boys. I loved watching my kids in tournaments, it was exciting to see them demonstrate their skills and learn to handle a little pressure. Unfortunately, this year my kids lost interest, but my son would like to try Jujitsu, which is a martial art done on the ground, using submission techniques. I don't think you will regret your decision, its an awesome activity! :thumbs up

angeldogs
May 21st, 2007, 09:08 PM
He did his free lesson and loved it.so we signed him up for a month.and if he is still interested.then will do 3 months then a year.they said he picked up on what they were teaching that day really quick.the more advanced students did some sparring and had the equipment.the instructors were firm and made it fun for everyone.and gave lots of praise to each student when they done the exercise right.i might be taking their boxing class.and my son is doing kungfu.and they also have kick boxing.

angeldogs
May 21st, 2007, 09:13 PM
Purpledomino.i don't think i will regret it also.my daughter tried it also.but there was mirrors so she was busy trying to watch herself dance.so were going to put her in dance.

Purpledomino
May 22nd, 2007, 07:58 AM
Angeldogs, that is so cute about your daughter and the mirrors... My daughter was in dance as well, actually started that before the taekwondo. Be careful though....because dance classes seem to multiply in my experience. My daughter started in ballet, then wanted to do jazz, then lyrical..etc. etc. As much as she LOVED it, it got very expensive...and much driving to different classes. It was worth it though! :)

angeldogs
May 22nd, 2007, 12:43 PM
It was cute.the only dance she does is ballet dancing around the house.for christmas from my work christmas kids party.she got one of the kits with the dvd and the stand and a plasic piece with the foot spots on it.plays with it all the time.