Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What possible cross? How big will this dog be?

onster
May 13th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Hi there :)

My brother living in Egypt found a puppy, 3 months old according to the vet. There are stray dogs ( street dogs) in Egypt so it's most certaintly not someones pet. Apparently the owner of the place he works ordered the puppy to be driven away (8kms) to the town centre and away from the establishment. 2 days later, the puppy came back this time with a bouncy ball ready to play, my brother learned of the situation and felt bad for the puppy and took her in. He has given her her shots etc and is now trying to to do basic training but according to him it is 'impossible'. Any good books or websites anyone knows of? Also it seems kind of big for a 3 month old? can anyone see a breed in her ( so we can get a feel for her breed tendancies) or can tell how big she will be?

The security guards that found her thought she was a boy and called her Rex but the vet visit comfirmed shes a girl so Roxy is her name now :)

Weve never had dogs, only cats so this all so new! Any advice welcome.

onster
May 13th, 2007, 07:59 AM
another pic, sorry theyre not great quality but this is all I got after begging for photos!

Prin
May 13th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Looks like a border collie mix to me... They get to be around 45lbs, I think...

Byrd
May 13th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Very different looking for an Egyptian street dog, they are usually all alike... beige (been there a few times and my fiance is Egyptian, so I'm speaking from knowledge). Looks like Border Collie to me too, which is also rare there, haven't seen one even owned by someone. They're smart, and driven, they like to work and please their owner. Definitely looks older than three months though.

Good for you taking her in, and I understand the no experience with dogs thing too and why you would have never had one before.

Good luck.

SableCollie
May 13th, 2007, 11:49 AM
They actually have dog DNA testing now for mutts to see what breeds are in them! I think the face looks border collie, but those long legs, and long skinny tail...maybe some sighthound? :shrug:

As for training, this site (http://www.deesdogs.com/training.htm) by Dee Ganley, has a lot of articles on puppy and dog training, and from my experience, she is a good trainer. There are also tons of books out there, Pat Miler, Dr. Ian Dunbar, Patricia McConnell all have good books.

clm
May 13th, 2007, 01:46 PM
The long legs and the feathered tail and coat hair, looks like some saluki (sighthound) to me. Popular coursing dog in that country. They get tall, not heavy but tall and they love to run.

Cindy

mydogs
May 13th, 2007, 03:23 PM
I Agree With Prin:)

chico2
May 13th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Don't know what kind of dog she is,but give your brother a big hug for caring for her,she is really pretty...does not look much like a puppy though,may be older than what the vet said.

onster
May 13th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks everyone :)

Im looking forward to playing with the pup in August. She sounds very cute...will try to get cracking on training her too..my bro says all she knows how to do is play :laughing:

and yup Byrd, I know the beige street dogs that u mostly find in Cairo etc, I go to Egypt almost every summer and have always tried to befriend them. The goverment periodically poisons street dogs there though when the population surges :mad: :sad:

This is what most egyptian street dogs look like (pic from a local shelter), you do get some non beigy ones sometimes

onster
May 13th, 2007, 03:37 PM
:shrug: yeah i think she definately looks older than 3 months..or is going to be one huge dog!!! my brother is a big, tall guy so when i saw the pic i was a little iffy about her age, hence asking about her possible mix too because I thought maybe i just dont have experience with dogs and some breeds are that big at 3 months?

chico2
May 13th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Onster,those poor street-doggies:sad: but you see them in many other warm countries not only Egypt,it always breaks my heart,but most of these dogs know of no other life.
The Government would do better if instead of using poison,they would have a spay/neuter program.

Frenchy
May 13th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I'm with Prin too, border collie mix. Seing she hasn't have large huge paws , I don't think she will get too big (big for me is 80 lbs and up) oh , and your bro is real cute too ! :p

luckypenny
May 13th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I would love to meet the doggie half hiding behind the concrete block in the background of the shelter photo. I have a thing for mutts :lovestruck: . I'm glad your brother is caring for Roxy.

marsupial mama
May 13th, 2007, 06:46 PM
It's really sad how animals are treated in the Middle East and it is SO far removed from what Islam teaches about kindness to animals... :sad:

Anyways, I found an animal welfare org in Egypt - maybe they will have contacts who could help with training?

http://www.sparealife.org/

Byrd
May 13th, 2007, 06:47 PM
This is what most egyptian street dogs look like (pic from a local shelter), you do get some non beigy ones sometimes

Yup, that's the typical sight. I try to befriend them too, I have sooo many pics of myself with them. Next time I go I'm gonna bring some doggy and kitty treats so they get more than bread from people.

onster
May 13th, 2007, 07:04 PM
lol thanks frenchy

and that is so true marsupial mama, I am muslim and the animal cruelty seen in the ME certaintly has nothing to do with islam. In islam there are 2 well known stories, one of a woman who is going to be sent to hell because she trapped a cat in her home, neither giving it food nor letting it out to forage for food. The other is of a man who, feeling parched, got water for himself from a well and then noticed a dog looking parched too so he filled his shoe with water and gave it to the dog to drink - the prophet said he shall go to heaven for that deed alone.

onster
May 13th, 2007, 07:13 PM
i have to add though, I am proud to be an Egyptian Canadian. Egyptians are very kindhearted people and the wrong most comon people do to animals is out of ignorance/ desperation rather than ill-intent. For example the donkey working for too long in the heat with no good feed, carrying too much of a load. On that donkey's shoulders is the well-being of a whole family, who barely scrape by. The government is really to blame, it does not take care of its citizens....but that is a whole other rant.

clm
May 13th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Here's a few Saluki pics, looks to me like there's some of this breed in the pup.

Cindy

badger
May 14th, 2007, 03:39 AM
A definite resemblance to the Saluki, especially the bony legs, although it's hard to see the rest, they're having too much fun!
Onster good point about working animals/poverty. You see little horses and donkies all over India, they basically die of exhaustion and never enough food, like many of the people. Much as I love it there, the suffering is sometimes hard to witness.
Love the stories. The Buddhist tradition has many, some involve carving up one's own body for a starving dog. They are beautiful teachings, especially for someone who feels a connection to animals.

marsupial mama
May 14th, 2007, 07:49 AM
so THAT's what a saluki looks like! I have heard of them but never known what they look like. lovely looking dogs.

I'm Muslim too and it really hurts me sometimes that Muslims have such a bad rep when it comes to treatment of animals. And about treatment of people too. (OT but for the record, I think terrorism STINKS) We really do need to get back to the teachings on kindness and compassion and mercy. :sad: And I agree that poverty and desperation and lack of education/knowledge has a lot to do with it.

onster
May 14th, 2007, 11:28 AM
totally agree marsupial mama

hmmmm so roxy may be some sort of border collie saluki cross. thanks for the pic cindy, she really does have resemblance to the saluki...but whats a coursing dog? :o I know in the UAE ( united arab emirates) they have a lot of saluki crosses / salukis.

clm
May 14th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Coursing dogs, or sighthounds. Love to run and quite often run on lure courses like greyhounds around a track chasing a fake rabbit. I saw a show about saluki's in the middle east not that long ago. I forget the name of the animal they were orginially bred to hunt. Remarkable to watch them in that show, going full tilt across desert, it was spectacular.

Cindy