Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about adopting adopting an adult cat AND a kitten.

sweet-hearts
May 12th, 2007, 10:45 PM
(long story, sorry) My roomate and I are interested in adopting a cat. We both work full time, and even though we spend most of our time at home, we can sometimes both be working, and not at home, for long stretches of time. We thought then, that it would be a better idea for us to get two cats (plus we'ed both like one of our own ).We're obviously not going to be living together forever, and we thought buying two kittens from the same litter would be difficult when we enevitably had to seperate them and move away.

I would like to adopt an adult cat, and Jewels would like to adopt a kitten. What I'm wondering is if we should adopt them at the same time, or adopt one, let her get settled and then a couple weeks later bring the other one home. And if we wait, does it matter which one we would take home first? Does it matter at all? Or should we buy two different kittens from different litters?

onster
May 12th, 2007, 11:18 PM
I'm not really answering ure question *sorry* but Ive had an adult cat (2-3 yrs old) for 4 months and just adopted a new kitten ( 3months) so I thought I'd tell u wht I kind of learned so far

1) opposite sexes are better, if 2 cats one should be younger than the other ( kitten and adult) but I see uve got that covered

2) make sure to do the proper reccomended introuduction ( i didnt and regret it in hindsight). Ie keep them seperate at first, let them sniff eachother through a closed door. Rub the same towel on each of them so they can get aquainted with each others scent. If you do a search on google about introducing 2 cats to eachother ull get a lot of info and advice

3) be prepared to have quite a bit of at home time at the begining when theyre both still new and dont expect to be able to leave both cats at home alone for a long time for quite some time. when ure at work for the first while ure going to need to keep the cat and kitten seperate ( not free roaming) for a while until ure confident that they get along well.

and lastly, i think its great that ure thinking of adopting an adult cat :D :thumbs up . So many of them in shelters.

TeriM
May 13th, 2007, 12:07 AM
good advice from onster. I agree that two different sexes are generally better. I would adopt the older one first and usually a shelter or rescue would have info as to whether or not they would be good with other cats.