Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ok to eat the rib bone?

H.P.
May 12th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Well, I have been seriously thinking about going raw, at least for 1 meal a day, but I wasn't sure how Sydney would feel about it. While I was at the store tonight, they had "dog bones" most of them looked like beef leg bones with no meat on them, and one packaged looked to be beef rib bones, with meat. I got the rib ones.

I was thinking that she would eat the meat off, and perhaps chew on the bone. the next thing I know, crunch crunch she is eating the bone. (Obviously she likes the idea!) I took it away at that point she only ate a little, but then I was thinking, "Isn't she supposed to eat the bone?"

I am well aware that I am a worry wort, overprotective mom, But I just want to make sure that it is ok for her to have eaten it, and if I should let her have it back?

technodoll
May 12th, 2007, 09:03 PM
oh, totally let her have the rib bone. just make sure she doesn't eat too much if she's new at raw, some dogs do absolutely fine with their first meals but others may have loose stools. good luck and keep us posted! your girl is one lucky pooch! :D :highfive:

H.P.
May 12th, 2007, 10:18 PM
I gave the rib back to her, she loves you Techno. Not a great pic, but you get the idea.

technodoll
May 12th, 2007, 11:18 PM
OMG is she ever a happy girl! LOL what kind of meat was it?... i hope she has a nice "raw" poop tomorrow - if not, it's normal and don't worry. oh and i would supervise her at first to make sure she's a cruncher, and not a gulper... just to be safe.

she sure looks like she won the lottery, LOL! :D

x.l.r.8
May 13th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Priceless photo.:laughing:

H.P.
May 13th, 2007, 09:57 PM
It was beef, she ate about 1/2 if the piece that I gave her, then did not want anymore. I was surprised, I figured that she would want the whole thing. Her poop was pretty soft this morning, but still had some "form". I guess she knew when to stop, smart puppy! There was some deadly gas though :yuck: . She is a chewer, I was worried when I got her that she would choke on her kibble she ate so fast, so we learned to chew then, but I will monitor her with the bones.
Thanks!