Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Questions concerning garlic for fleas

sissani
May 12th, 2007, 07:27 PM
I have heard adding a little garlic to the food once in a while can be a nice natural way to help prevent fleas.

First, is this correct? I also see on some websites that garlic can be poisonous to pets....

What kind of garlic can be used? Normal garlic from the grocery store?

How much do I give and how often?

Is it ok to give to my cat as well?

Are there any side effects to be concerned about?

Thanks guys!! :)

glitterless
May 13th, 2007, 12:26 AM
I do believe that garlic is toxic in high doses, and you would definitely need high doses to repel fleas.

Some horse owners believe that garlic will repel biting insects and they'll add it to a horse's feed. However, I haven't known of anyone who has had great success with it. I think the animal would have to be fed so much garlic that his sweat would taste of it and he'd literally reek of it. Yuck.

I suggest a natural topical repellant instead.

Kutzy
May 13th, 2007, 08:36 PM
The best flea medications are the monthly applications you can get from your vet. I believe garlic can be toxic to dogs and cats but your vet could advise you on that as well.

sissani
May 13th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I do believe that garlic is toxic in high doses, and you would definitely need high doses to repel fleas.

Some horse owners believe that garlic will repel biting insects and they'll add it to a horse's feed. However, I haven't known of anyone who has had great success with it. I think the animal would have to be fed so much garlic that his sweat would taste of it and he'd literally reek of it. Yuck.

I suggest a natural topical repellant instead.

Any particular one you would suggest?

Maya
May 13th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Engevita yeast helps prevent fleas. I wouldn't risk using garlic.

Recommended Dosage (for people) :)
2 tablespoons.
Serving Suggestion
Engivita is such a pleasant tasting yeast that it can be consumed as it is. It is also readily dissolved in water, milk, fruit or vegetable juices and can be sprinkled on soups, stews, casseroles, salads and breakfast cereals to enhance the flavour.

Ingredients
Dried inactive yeast.
Nutritional Information
per 100g:
Energy 1360kJ/325kcal, Protein 46g, Carbohydrates 35g (of which sugars 1g), Fat 5g (of which saturates 2.5g), Dietary Fibre 20g, Sodium 1g, Potassium 2000mg, Sulphur 300mg, Phosphorus 200mg, Magnesium 180mg, Calcium 55mg, Sodium 50mg, Zinc 0.65mg, Manganese 0.5mg, Iron 4.5mg, Thiamin (Vitamin B1) 9.9mg, Riboflavin (vitamin B2) 20mg, Niacin (Nicotinic Acid) 120mg, Pyridoxine HCl (Vitamin B6) 0.4mg, Folic Acid 2.1mg, Ca-pantothenate 11.5mg, Biotin 0.05mg, Choline Chloride 320mg, Inositol 200mg.
Other Information
Engevita yeast is one of the richest natural sources of the B group of vitamins. It is also rich in protein, amino acids, enzymes, minerals and trace elements. Engevita is a purely natural food, specifically produced for human consumption and is a primary grown strain of Saccharomyces Cerevasiae.

I haven't had personal experience with giving to doggies but I know some people do. It will strengthen resistance to fleas but you'd need to find other ways to get rid of a full blown infestation. This is more of a preventative measure and way of increasing nutrients to the diet.

[edit] I sprinkled it directly on kitty kibble from a shaker. My cat LOVED it and would usually remind me to sprinkle it on before he ate.

gypsy_girl
May 13th, 2007, 09:48 PM
This is what I use for the horses to repel flies and mosquitos. I think it got a top rating in Michael Plumbs horse journal, and I see they have a dog version

http://www.thenaturalpetvet.net/cgi-bin/genesis.exe/Product_1.html?p_prodid=6&sid=6ho5rz1kB7sH8oo-46107470266.3a

glitterless
May 14th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the link, Gypsy. I hate using toxins on my animals, especially my older mare who has so many health problems already.

Sissani, I don't know of any, but Gypsy's suggestion looks good. I bring mine in when the bugs get bad or try to keep them moving to keep the bugs away. Maybe someone else can help you out.

lilmegshepherds
May 15th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I use garlic {one clove} in my raw diet for my dogs. I have never had a flea problem!

One clove is a very very low dose compared the huge amount I make of raw food.

An older vet once told me give your dog a garlic pill each day and you will never ever have a flea; stop with the pills for one week and the fleas will be infested on the dog.

Never give a cat garlic as it is suppose to be toxic.