Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I would NEVER reccommend him... (part long rant, part question)

sissani
May 11th, 2007, 08:05 PM
I work at a pet center, where we have boarding and daycare (the parts I work in), grooming, a vet group, and training. Well for the most part I would honestly reccommend the facility because for the most part it is a good place. The training center however, is another story. Set aside the fact that I dont really agree with the training methods used (immediately putting a choke, pinch or shock collar to start training and pretty much being put on a "Climb, stay" all day), the trainer just has this horrible attitude about dogs. Oh, he puts on a good face and most clients believe he is a good guy who loves dogs. But he isnt.

He believes dogs in shelters are there for a reasons, and cannot be trained as good as a pure-bred. He believes you know what you are getting with a pure-bred, and have no idea what you are getting with a shelter dog. Might as well not bother with that, in his opinion. He also sees all dogs as working animals, to be trained and called on when needed to work. He has four dogs of his own - a German Shepard, a Golden Retriever, a Standard Poodle and a Yellow Lab - none of which are allowed to play. Ever. They stay in cages ALL DAY unless he brings them out to train them. The GSD is trained as a drug dog, the Golden as a service dog, the Poodle I think is a competitor in obedience and the Lab is in training for blind dog work. Training for those fields is ALL those dogs ever do. They live a life of restriction and I feel SO HORRIBLE for them. He doesnt actually care for them - offer him what he believes the dog is worth in its training, and he would give any of them up in a heartbeat.

But it gets worse.

Their owner, our head trainer, leaves them outside in his van for most of the day. Yeah, he leaves his dogs, all fairly large dogs, in cramped crates, in the back of his van, in any weather (and we live in the midwest, where temperatures go wayyyyyyy low, and wayyyyyyyyy high with dangerous winds and unbearable humidity). Oh, he leaves the van's back doors open to give them air. And anytime anyone says anything, which is rare, he always says "Oh I just got here, they havent been out there but twenty minutes, I was going to bring them in." That is just unacceptable to me!!! Even in twenty minutes, even with those back doors open, doesnt he realize how HOT a care can get in that time?? I really am suprised he hasnt gone out to get them and found them in the grips of heat stroke yet. What shocks me even further is how rarely he is scolded for this. One of our regular customers said something (and in no uncertain terms) told him how dispicable this was. I only recently found out about this - and I had always wondered why his van doors were open! He has been bringing them into the kennel the past few days (since that customer complained) but I worry he will get comfortable again and leave them out there. If he does, is there someone I can call - police or SPCA? - to have them come and do something about it? It really is rediculous he gets aways with this.

At least his neglect means he doesnt notice when I slip them yogurt treats sometimes, or when the daycare manager lets them out to play in the yard a bit. Its almost sad how happily they play. They just soak up those few precious moments of freedom...

SableCollie
May 11th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Sad to say...this doesn't surprise me. It's amazing how many people who work in the pet care field don't even seem to care about animals. :sad:

I think you should call the SPCA the next time he leaves the dogs in his car, especially on a hot day. Document the time he arrives, write it down. So when he says they haven't been in there that long, you have the exact times to give the authorities.

I hope someone nice does offer to buy his dogs someday, they must be so miserable!

Frenchy
May 11th, 2007, 08:54 PM
This guy sucks big time ! :mad: Yes please do report him ! I would call both, the police and the spca. Even working dogs get time off to play :mad: leaving them in the van is cruel.

hazelrunpack
May 11th, 2007, 09:51 PM
We usually call the police or sheriff. They respond faster. Call them first--if it's not their responsibility, they'll give you the number you need to call.

Good luck! :fingerscr Maybe if he gets a citation people will wise up to him.

sissani
May 11th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Good luck! :fingerscr Maybe if he gets a citation people will wise up to him.

Yeah thats what I was thinking - maybe if the animal cops come and make a fuss in front of customers, our boss will require him to keep the dogs in the kennel durring the day! (or better yet, replace him!)

TeriM
May 12th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Sounds awful, those poor dogs :sad: . Maybe you should quietly get that regular customer to write a letter to your boss and complain.

muckypup
May 12th, 2007, 05:34 AM
You should speak to him. Not everyone has the same opinion about dog training, or purebred vs. shelter dogs or working dogs vs. pets but who cares about what he thinks. The important part is the well-being of the dogs he has in crates in his car. You can either assure him that his dogs are always welcome to come into the kennel or you could at least suggest some equipment that will make his dogs comfortable in the car while he is working. You could suggest or question him about getting reasonable size crates like 500's for large dogs. Make sure he has fresh water in the crates, he puts fans on the crates and puts a solar cover over his vehicle, you can get them at Pet Edge for instance. That's probably the best you're going to be able to do, I doubt the SPCA can do much.
It's really hard for me to believe they're working dogs that don't know how to play? Not great ones if that's the case.