Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vlad scare, but good outcome

ancientgirl
May 11th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I took Vlad to the vet at 4:30. I'd seen some blood smeared on the side of his Litter Maid and was very worried. First, let me say I absolutely love his vet. She's such a wonderful person, and she's so good with him. Actually all of the people there are great, one of them even gave me some great advice as to what to do when he bites. The staff is friendly, the techs are nice and Vlad's vet is just perfect. She plays with him, cuddles him and just melts whenever she sees him. It's not a cheap place, but you know, its worth taking him there because I can see they really care about animals and I feel very comfortable taking him there. I feel that if you want the best doctor for yourself, you want the same for your pet.

Okay, first, they didn't find anything seriously wrong with him. No blood in his poop, so that's very good. He's also gained a little over a pound, so he's 2.5 pounds! My little Vlad is growing. The bad news is he's got some yeasty ear infection. Not mites, but something else, which they will take care of. He's also got fleas! The poor little guy. Heck, I hadn't seen them. He's a black kitty, its hard to see fleas on him! He was always scratching near his ears, so I naturally just thought it was his ear problem, which I suspected he had. I have to say, I"m really angry at the vet I did get him from. He obviously had fleas when they gave him to me, and he had that ear problem too. He's been scratching and I've been concerned about his ears since I got him. That tells me they didn't even look at him when they gave him to me. All they said was bring him back in two weeks for his first shots.

I left him at the vets there overnight. It's a Knowles 24 hour emergency/clinic, so I feel good knowing there is someone there all the time. They gave him a pill for the fleas, and will give him another tomorrow. It's supposed to kill the fleas on him. They'll give him his next shot and take care of him, so that tomorrow I can fog the apartment.

If he's got fleas, then I imagine there are plenty on the new rug I got, the furniture, his favoriet blanket, my bedroom carpet and so on. It made sense for me to just leave him there overnight. I have to be away from the apartment for at least 4 hours, plus when I get back I have to wipe the counters and other surfaces. I'd like to mop the floor and I'll have to wash the blankets and my bedsheets. I can't do all of that with my little terror.

So I'm alone now, and missing him terribly. My sweet kitty. But I'm very happy he's okay. I'd like to thank everyone who gave me such support.

I also took a few new pictures of him yesterday.

This one was taken about a week ago.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/Vlad/IMG_0228.jpg

I love that sweet little sleeping kitty face.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/Vlad/IMG_0233.jpg

This picture I took yesterday, and its one of my favorites. He looks like a statue of an ancient Egyptian cat statue I saw a few years ago.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/Vlad/IMG_0237.jpg

SableCollie
May 11th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I'm glad he's okay, except for those icky fleas! Good luck on the de-fleaing of your home, and I'm sure Vlad will be happy to be home and no longer itchy!

ancientgirl
May 11th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Thanks! I'll take fleas over anything serious any day. I'm not looking forward to the fog bomb and the after cleaning, but at least the place will be free of fleas. And its a good idea to make sure everything is okay before bringing the other kitty home, since I don't want to have to go through this with her.

dogcatharmony
May 11th, 2007, 09:16 PM
great to hear Vlad is doing good. And what a cutie he is.....love the pics.

ancientgirl
May 11th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Thank you. I'm very happy everything turned out well.

I'm really missing him tonight. It's so odd to be home without him.

RolandsMom
May 11th, 2007, 09:37 PM
oh he is just so terribly cute!!!:lovestruck: :lovestruck: glad everything is sorted. its always such a relief to take them to the vet and find out everything is okay and whats not can be sorted out. i can imagine you miss him! i cant even be away from Roland 10 minutes longer than absolutly necessary. (better now with roommates cause hes not alone nearly as much).
enjoy your reunion tomorrow!

ancientgirl
May 11th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Yes, I was very relieved. I figure, better safe than sorry. At least I have the peace of mind that he is well and the few things he does have, I can fix. I can't believe how much I already miss him though. It's so damned quiet around here!

Crestedcrazy
May 11th, 2007, 09:44 PM
He sure is cute :cloud9: glad that he's going to be OK and nothing too serious!

ancientgirl
May 11th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Thanks! I'm happy he's okay too. I love taking pictures of him. I can see how much he's grown since I first got him.

hazelrunpack
May 11th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Oh, he's so cute!! :cloud9: Yes, they grow so fast at that age, don't they? I'm glad it wasn't anything too serious. :thumbs up

ancientgirl
May 11th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks! He is a cutie. I knew he had grown a bit, but I hadn't realized how much until I looked at some pictures I took when I first got him.

TeriM
May 12th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Awww, he is definately a cutie and it looks like he has tons of character too :lovestruck: .

ancientgirl
May 12th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Oh yeah, he's got tons of character.

Dogastrophe
May 12th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Glad to hear Vlad is doing well.

I love the pictures. He looks all sweet and innocent in the first one and in the third he's got the 'I'm about to cause some trouble' glint in his eyes.

What a cutie!

:dog: :pawprint: :cat:

ancientgirl
May 12th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Thank you, I picked him up a little while ago and he's back home.

You have him pegged. He's a little terror, but he's my terror. And I love him.