Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Are GSDs vocal?

bendyfoot
May 11th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I seem to have this idea in my head that GSDs are more vocal than your average dog, but I don't see that written anywhere in any of my GSD books. Any other GSD owners out there who find this to be the case? Jaida (6 months, not purebred) is quite vocal, especially in the whining department.

Crestedcrazy
May 11th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I don't personally have a GSD but I have a couple different friends who do and their dogs don't seem to bark any more than any other!

SableCollie
May 11th, 2007, 02:39 PM
YES! Whining, squeaking, moaning, singing! It's not so much the barking as the other noises they make. All day long I get to listen to "shepherd talk" + "collie talk" (the collie hums and barks). The older shepherd sings every morning. We have thought of recording all of the bizarre sounds they all make!

I can tell you from working at the shelter, this seems to be a shepherd trait. Almost every one we get in either whines or howls or "sings" more than the other dogs, although the "American type" german shepherds don't seem to be quite as vocal.

bendyfoot
May 11th, 2007, 04:32 PM
YES, SableCollie, that's exactly it! Her barking is quite minimal, it's all the grunts and moans and whines and whistles and singing and all the other weird sounds she makes. She even does them in her sleep!!!
Jaida's not a purebred (she's a "I'm taking her NOW" rescue), and I'm not really sure what the difference is between the American and other types...she's a very small GSD (granted, she's a runt), but her parents were both very slight too.
We really don't mind the noises at all, they're just part of who she is and it adds colour to the household! We could do without them at 5am though!!:laughing:

Dracko
May 11th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Dracko (a GSD) is vocal too. He is not at all a barker. Only does so if he sees a stranger, but he makes all the whiny throaty noises.

I've been traveling in my vehicle with Dracko and talking on my phone. People often think I have a baby with me cuz when he gets excited he makes all these noises. A vet I used to go to told me GSDs do tend to be vocal like this.

I should see if I can get a video of him doing this and post it.

lilmegshepherds
May 11th, 2007, 10:27 PM
None of mine are really vocal.

They bark when someone comes into the yard but only a few times and then they are quiet.

They do whine when my children go past the run to play in the backyard or when my hubby comes home. {he use to work away from home all week and only be around on weekends. tonight is his last night doing this and he begins his new job which will keep him living at home this week}

Funny how much they whine and talk when the kids go by the run yet both live in the house with the kids. They just always want to be with them.

bendyfoot
May 31st, 2007, 01:40 PM
bump. here's the other noisy GSD thread