Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I Found 8 Toads.

TOADET
May 10th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Hello,
Me and my friend came across some toads there were 2 pairs of them mateing and we collected them first.
then we collected the rest and all together we got eight,
lilly and fiona are the 2 girls and shrek, frank, archie, RJ, crowker AND blair. :grouphug: BUT..... were not to suer what they like to eat, we want to breed them. We went to a pond and got some water for them and we think we should let the left over males go since they have nothing to do lol,:laughing:
it's almost impossible to dis attach them LOL,
SO what do they eat?
And should we let the other males go?.

Sincerely
Alicia & Lauren

badger
May 10th, 2007, 07:24 PM
You should let them all go in the place where you found them. You will never be able to create the kind of natural environment they need. It is not just water they need but a specific kind of water (tap water will definitely kill them because of the chlorine), also the plants and insects they feed on and other conditions (mud, places to hide, etc.) Any eggs they produce will die out of their natural environment. Wild toads are not pets. They hate being handled and prying them apart when they are mating is just cruel.
Put them back!

Prin
May 10th, 2007, 11:06 PM
I agree. It's just unnecessary to interfere with them so much.

:clown:

TOADET
May 11th, 2007, 04:42 PM
OH NO lol we have a pond LOL we just wanted them in our yard they like to be handeld they jump in my hand and well squeez it as if there mateing but there absulutaly fine i love it when i chirp like them they stick up and puff out there stumic and chirp when ever i do that they do it whys that???? me and my friend think its to challange wether who sounds the loudest the feamle will pic but then again they just jumped on them and well i think i did a good thing getting them from out of the grass because both females layed black little eggs in the pond . well see we just baught the pond and theres like 100000 eggs its so cool,
Is it ok to keep them in our pond and we went to our neahbors and asked for some pond water
after we rinced out the pond and filled it up thats the water we used from the same pond the lady had in the tank whiel we first had them they dont seem to leave i think they like it here :) but after the females layyed there eggs the males seemed to get off the females???? why is that?

jiorji
May 11th, 2007, 04:46 PM
but after the females layyed there eggs the males seemed to get off the females???? why is that?

maybe you should have a talk with your mommy and daddy about the birds and the bees sweetheart :rolleyes:

TOADET
May 11th, 2007, 04:50 PM
well consittering im 13 this month may 22nd i know why they were on top of each other but why ? was he helping her push the eggs out i got confused there. thats all.

Prin
May 11th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Ask your parents.;)

phoenix
May 11th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Toadet,

Please take these eggs and these toads and put them back in the place where you found them. By "Pond" I expect you mean one of those black garden tub things?? That is not a natural environment... what will they eat there? With all of those eggs, you'll likely see tadpoles but they are unlikely to progress any further than that. Also, tadpoles are a part of a natural foodchain, that's why there are so many... some are destined to be another animal's food.
What you are seeing with the male on the female is called amplexus, so you can look that up yourself. Essentially the males will grip onto anything right now (it's more of an instinct). The female gives them a message whether they are ready to lay eggs or not... if they are not, the males let go. If they are, then they lay the eggs and the male discharges sperm on them (it is done externally to the body.
If you really are 13, and this is all new to you, I won't talk down to you or condescend to you. But you need to listen. Taking wild animals, even frogs and toads, out of their natural environment is WRONG. There is a saying you might want to try and live out: Take only photographs, leave only footprints.

TOADET
May 13th, 2007, 03:14 PM
I don't know were to let them go??? , I let the frogs go but we kept the eggs we think that since we have a project about anything our choice ,we would do it on how Toads grow up.
The pond insent a little black thing it's a barrel kined with a flowing filter and I don't know what your talking about I had tadpoles before and I dident have them in a pond ,
I had them in a small baby tub for my brother when he was little and I had a small lilly pad with it and they grew up, they were starting to have legs and hands but then the birds started eating them outside I was crying when i came out and say there was only 2 left so i kept them and my mom thought it was just a bug so she through them out the last 2.
I had raised them since eggs. but I never saw the eggs actually being boren I just saw them in the pond and the lady said she was going to just through them away like she dose ever year on the side of the TREE ,ok that means she takes them out with her pool net then takes them and dumps them at the roots of the tree , I asked if i could take them and all was well in'till of corse the birds ate them I doubt they'd of lived any further than eggs with the lady .

Maya
May 13th, 2007, 09:17 PM
This is really sad.:sad:

TOADET
May 15th, 2007, 11:43 AM
OH i know but after i came back for the rest of the tatds she had dumped them at the stump of the tree me and lauren ran to get them we got them all but it was hard before they couldent breeth we had no idea how long it was

badger
May 15th, 2007, 01:11 PM
TOAD, I like you, I really do, you are like me at thirteen, turning over stones to see what's under them, carrying critters home and then having them die because I had no clue that the environment they live in is the one they need and they can't survive out of it.
I recommend that next birthday you ask for a microscope, you will see that one drop of pond water contains more life than you can imagine.
But could you do something about your spelling? If you're going to be a scientist, it is important that you be able to communicate, so you can share all your wonderful discoveries.
No offense taken, I hope.

Maya
May 16th, 2007, 02:03 AM
I can tell you love animals so it may be difficult to come to terms with the fact you are hurting these guys.:sad: I had to do a science project creating a mini eco system out of stream water in my college biology program. Omg did I ever learn sooo much. Mine was quite good maybe even the best in my class but I still forgot to include enough organic matter under the pebbles and many of the little bottom dwelling creatures died because they didn't have enough to eat :sad: Badger is right a microscope would be a great idea, it lets you see another world of smaller organisms that are vital to the survival of fragile creatures like tadpoles.

[edit]This picture helps illustrate what a natural pond might look like:http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/hardtoget/ma149/images/figure9.jpg So you can imagine that if you take out something it won't be easy to re-create an environment as complicated for it to thrive. Hope that makes a bit of sense.:)

TOADET
May 28th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I let them go, I have all the eggs tho ,and when I keep little critters it's never permanent, till they die I take them to salt hayven when there hert or need a home there a wild life rescue place,
I just last week well no 3 days ago , A little babby robin being attacked by an orange tabby cat,
he was praying on this little fellow,
I Yelled at the cat to go and it did then i picked up the babby bird it was so not ready to leave the nest i could tell it still had lots of spots and it still had some growing to do he would need at least another week well we fed this baby and he loved to cuddle under my side when i lay on the couch like to as if sit on him for warmth,
we called him milo SO CUTE he was,
and so we took him to salt hayven i was trying to train him ,(I did)
I taught him like a budgie up up (LOL) nothing els i dident have much time he didn't ;like leaveing me and lauren we practised flying by going very slow up and down and from maybe 3 inches away tossing him he eventually kinda flew , ide done this before,
with blue-jays and all sorts,
he was hungry when i got him opend his beak right away peep peep peep peeep he repeatedly said on and on so i crushed some worms and made some cat food soggy and have it to him gobbeled lots down only 6 because i don't want to stuff him.

Sneaky
May 28th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Hi there,
The important thing you have to remember when caring for amphibians, is it is important to research and know exactly what species of animal you have.
I rescued a Western Ground Toad from an area scheduled for demolition and rebuilding, and kept him for 1 year. Toads and frogs are very difficult to care for properly. I started with a small 1.5 inch long toad and a 10 gallon aquarium. Toads are not aquatic creatures, so the aquarium was 80% soil bottom and 20% water pond. The water in the toads pond must be cleaned DAILY, and one must pooper scoop after the toad every day. If the environment is dirty, toads/frogs can become ill and die.
Another difficulty in caring for these creatures is that they need to eat Live food. For me, this meant purchasing and caring for live crickets - who also need a clean home, food and moisture, another major project.
By the end of 1 year, my little toad had become a 4 inch long behemoth who was devouring 10-12 crickets every second day!
At this point I did research to determine what areas these creatures inhabit in my town, and released him at a wildlife sanctuary.

Over my time with my toad, I realized that it was really impossible for me to give this creature what it needs - in the wild these toads occupy a territory of 1 square mile! No aquarium is that large. Daily cleaning of a smelly toad home was tedious and a lot of work. Caring and keeping live crickets was also a lot of work.
While the toad grew and matured to a nice big size, it was better for him to be in the wild.

If you are interested in caring for/keeping a pet toad, there are many varieties that are relatively easy to care for, such as pacman frogs and fire belly toads, but all require large enclosures of 20 gallons or more, specially designed semi-aquatic, semi-terrestial, or even fully aquatic environments, depending on the species. All frogs and toads require live food like crickets and meal worms. These live foods must be cared for as well, to ensure they provide the proper nutrition for our little friends.

The easiest type of frog to care for is the African Dwarf frog. This is a fully aquatic amphibian, that enjoys a 10 gallon aquarium with filtration, live plants, and regular water changes. They can be kept with peaceful smaller fish and will eat most prepared foods.
Wildlife isnt the best pet - but if you like these critters, there are options for you!
Good luck, and Im glad you let the toads/frogs go.