Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

poodles reaction to raw beef mince

LynnetteM
May 10th, 2007, 05:10 PM
hi.
In using the word 'reaction' I meant her total acceptance of the food. I've been feeding her cooked mince & mixes of mashed, blanched vegetables with addition of oil & cottage cheese, etc.
She would eat this, but walked off & came back a bit. We have an older terrier that will eat anything, so they have to be watched at feeding time. My poodle won't eat unless beside other dog.
But when I offered her the raw mince, & additives last night, she ate the lot in one go. The same this morning. (she is 5+ months) I'm interested to see her reaction wth addition of blanched mashed vegetables to the raw meat.

I have found my poodle is a little finicky with her food....won't eat if ANY disturbance, will wander off, then come back for more.. But with the raw, she stayed with it until bowl was clean.

I would be most interested to hear from any other poodle owners about eating habits. Mine is a miniature female.....Not a toy one!

Mypetsrmykids
May 10th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I have 3 poodles that are considered over-size toys. The 3 of them range from 12 pounds to almost 17 pounds. I tried raw food and they completely turned their noses away. One is 10 and the other 2 are 13. Maybe they do better when you start alot younger. Hey, if yours is doing so well with raw food, try the green tripe. You can't buy it at just any pet store but they do sell it at specialty stores that sell holistic foods for pets. They will tell you how to use it, it's supposed to be VERY healthy for them and the smell (don't stick your nose to it) is supposed to attract them. That didn't work for my kids but they don't like raw food.

technodoll
May 10th, 2007, 06:27 PM
most dogs go crazy over raw meat, but some don't care for it much (or at all). that's good news that she likes the minced raw beef!! try adding a raw egg to it next time :thumbs up

mafiaprincess
May 11th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I've found mine prefers smellier meats. Will go mental for pork, Will walk away from chicken.