Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Large Breed Dogs good with other Dogs - Suggestions?

Matty
May 9th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently doing the research thing about finding my second Dog. I currently own a small Schnauzer/Poodle cross. I had my heart set on the Giant Schnauzer, but from the research I've done they are pretty dog aggressive.

I can't seem to find the kind of dog I want, a large breed with inherit guardian qualities that aren't dog aggressive. I would like to have a harmonious home and not have my current dog ripped to shreds while I'm out at work.

Currently I'm talking to some standard schnauzer breeders, but they also tell me this breed can become dog aggressive with other k9 pets.

Can any of you suggest an appropriate breed?

Thanks,
Matty.

Prin
May 9th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Newf? Lab? Golden?

Any other specifications/qualities for your doggy?

erykah1310
May 9th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Shepherd, Standard Poodle, Airedale ( not sure though),Great Dane, Saint Bernard????

It depends alot from dog to dog too, I mean proper socilization and training can help alot for some breeds.

SableCollie
May 9th, 2007, 08:01 PM
How about a nice, big, adopted mutt that likes other dogs? :D

Lulubelle
May 9th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Hi There,

I know a lady who raises giant Schnauzers and Bichon Frises - in fact, I visited her place because I wanted to see how she was set up and possibly make a reservation for a bichon frise puppy (I did).

Anyway, she not only has black giant Schnauzers, she has salt and pepper ones. You can see them if you go to her web site 'elevagejody'. She went out to California to get the salt and pepper kind and breeds them too.

According to her, the salt and pepper Schnauzer is the calmest and most stick-to-its-master of the breed. While I was visiting, the Schnauzers came down to the bichon baby and mother area in the basement, and stayed a good half hour. It was utterly peaceful.

On the front page of her site, on the right, are written: 'Allons nous promener'. Clicking on that will bring you to 3 pictures of the Schnauzers and Bichons out walking with mistress 'Renee' in the woods behind her house. They're worth taking a look at!

Lulubelle[/FONT]

crazydays
May 9th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Hi Matty-
I think you really have to look at your own dog. Does he/she get along well with other dogs? Are you confident your own dog could handle another dog? You sound like you want a larger breed dog. I think it is excellent to research the breed, and reputable breeders. Do you know someone who has a dog you really like?? Find out where the dog came from. You are discouraged about Giant and Standard Schnauzers. I think all dogs have the potential to get aggressive. This won't matter if they are small ,medium or large. Seriously, some of the smallest dogs can be aggressive.

My dog is a 7yr old Standard Schnauzer. She is a very active medium size dog that has never been aggressive to any dog. We go to the dog park every day and she participates in the fun with no problems. I have never met a Giant Schnauzer.

Talk to people who have dogs who you like. Testimonials are the best because most owners would openly share what they like and what they dislike about their dog.

I would love for you to keep us updated on your search. It is very exciting when you are in the process of making your decision. GOOD LUCK

crazydays
May 9th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Hi Smitten!!!!
Love Schnauzer talk! Wow I never knew you could get salt and pepper Giants. Thanks for the info.

coppperbelle
May 9th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I wouldn't recommend a golden if you are looking for dog to guard your home. They will welcome the intruder and show him where the good stuff is.
I have had Standard Poodles and they excellent watch dogs however tow of the three I had over the years did not like other dogs.
My sister has an Airedale and although she will bark when she hears something she will also hide around the corner until she sees who is there.
Have you thought of a herding breed? The Anatolian Shepherd for example. I would think that because they are good with sheep they would be good with other dogs. They also make excellent guardians according to the show I watched about them.

clm
May 9th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Anatolians are pretty aggressive dogs and require loads of training and socialization....any dog large or small, to get along with other dogs, socialization is key. I too would go to a rescue or find a breeder with an adult dog that they want to rehome that is good with other dogs. Has your dog been socialized with other dogs? He may be the problem, not the new big dog.

Cindy

amsmom2njkz
May 10th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Hi there. I love big dogs and found that if properly introduced, most of the time they are o.k. I have a Bullmastiff, and he is GREAT with other dogs. Plus he is loyal and is protective of our home and our family. He plays with a cockapoo/peekapoo, a pug, a maltese, and a jack russel. He also plays with big dogs, like a choc lab and a German Shepherd. I think you just have to properly introduce the dogs. I would check out some rescues too. Most of the time the rescue can tell you if the dog is good with other animals. Good Luck

mydogs
May 10th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Hi...I would first consider my dogs personality,how is your dog with dogs??? if he/she is ok then I would look for a big dog that is NOT a guard dog breed.Great Danes are wonderful with other dogs if you wan't to deal with there size and life expectancy which is 7-8 yrs. a Collie is a great choice but if your dog is aggresive a Collie doesn't belong there.I would read about each breed you consider and then make your choice,info is your best bet and remember that each dog has there own personality.I would go for the opposite sex, usually that helps a great deal.The newer breeds they say are herders, are sometimes very aggresive if not socialized early.my personal experience, stay away from a komondor.:)

Ford Girl
May 10th, 2007, 01:31 PM
I would suggest when you do pick a breed go visit the litter, pick one who's personality will match your dog at home. I would say it's more of a individual personality trait you should be looking for, as well as the breed. I have a golden and she rough and tumble, stubborn, dominent and saucy, nothing like one would expect a golden to be, the sterotype is just that. When we think back to the day we picked her out, she was the one trying to escape the pen and she was also controling the play even tho she was the only female and wasn't the largest. Altho she's cute, eager to please, easy to train, fun and super smart, she's a handful. I would try and match energy levels too.

Kristin7
May 12th, 2007, 09:07 AM
One of my friends had an Anatolian/Great Pyrenees mix. He was ok with some dogs, but not others. Many other dogs were afraid of him, or would pick fights with him, possibly because of his size and alpha male status. Dogs of the guardian type, as far as I know, get along better if you have a male and a female versus two dogs of the same sex. For example, my friends dog did have problems with her other dog, another alpha male, a samoyed mix (?), but loved my dog, a female border collie mix. He really got along well with alpha females as well. Mine wasn't really an alpha type but she was not without dominant qualities. I think you could find a dog of any breed to get along with yours, but it is more of an individual thing, on a case by case basis (of course, proper socialization plays a role here). Your dog may not like certain dogs plus, a dog of X breed may or may not like yours, depending on their individual personalities. Are you set on a puppy? If not, you could try looking in a shelter for an adult, and bring your dog in to meet other dogs you are considering adopting, to see if they get along. Probably it would be even better to go through rescue groups (some are breed specific), because those dogs are normally in foster care and the foster parent will have a good idea of the foster dog's personality and should be able to help match your dog with another.

LittleMissLevi
May 16th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I agree with many of you that it doesn't matter what breed it is, but what its' personality is like and how your older dog gets along with other dogs. I have a rottie which by many is considered an aggresive breed, but she is the gentlest dog ever and she is a horrible gaurd dog. Mainly it is the owner that will determine the overall personality of their dog. Good luck!

Matty
May 26th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Hey Everyone,

Just telling all of you that were nice enough to answer my post, that I officially made a decision. I'm going to buy a Pepper and Salt Giant Schnauzer. From everything I've read and saw, this is the dog for me. I'm going to wait to next spring [I'll be moving into a bigger place], and have already talked to the breeder.

Thanks Again,
Matty.

crazydays
May 27th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Hi Matty- You must feel a little peace of mind coming to a conclusion on which breed to choose. Giant Schnauzers are beautiful. Congrats!!!!Yesterday I just brought home my new 8 week old English Springer. She is full of life!!!

Good Luck