Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ring Dings and Krispy Kremes

technodoll
May 9th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Deconstructing the Regulatory Façade:

Why Confused Consumers Feed their Pets

Ring Dings and Krispy Kremes

It's a long but very complete read: http://leda.law.harvard.edu/leda/data/784/Patrick06.html

excerpt:

The purpose of this paper is not to point fingers or serve as an emotional shock triggering pet owners to home-cook each of their pets’ meals. Rather, this paper should serve as a comprehensive examination of the pet food industry and reveal its inadequacies. The paper begins with a brief history of pet food followed by a discussion of the various regulatory bodies, their relationship to the industry, and the rules ultimately governing pet food. This section also considers the role of non-governmental bodies and trade groups that significantly influence the regulations. Next, the paper discusses the effects of the regulatory regime by examining pet food labels, permitted ingredients, and the current state of pets’ health. Finally, a discussion on why the industry fails America’s pets will be followed by possible solutions that consumers, veterinarians and regulators can pursue in order to resolve the industry’s shortcomings.

Prin
May 9th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I'm so gonna read that when my eyes aren't so tired. It looks really good.:o

SableCollie
May 9th, 2007, 08:26 PM
It is a very good, very in-depth article. I've only gotten 1/4 of the way through it so far, but it's just packed with information! And I didn't know my state has its own pet food regulation laws. I'm bookmarking this one for sure.

technodoll
May 9th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Oh man I had a dig at it this afternoon, it's PACKED with amazing info (you know those "hard to get" figures, names, etc), well presented and orderly, well documented, but wow it's alot. I'll have to read it in sections too :o

Dekka
May 9th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Fantastic article...must save.

Thanx! :thumbs up

TeriM
May 9th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Hehe, I thought this was another TD tempting us with yummy food thread :o :D .

Will definately check this out :thumbs up .

jiorji
May 9th, 2007, 11:07 PM
mmmmmmmmmm Krispy Kreme:cloud9:

rainbow
May 9th, 2007, 11:21 PM
I'm so gonna read that when my eyes aren't so tired. It looks really good.:o

Me too. :o

technodoll
May 9th, 2007, 11:23 PM
cool :thumbs up would love your feedback on it, and to exchange comments... i'm gonna forward the article on, too :thumbs up