Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

May just leave tug of war to the dogs in the future...

Colubridz
May 9th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I know Tug of war isn't a hugely popular game among dog people for fears of sparking aggressive behaviour in dogs and though I don't fully agree with this I may abandon the game all the same. I play it occasionaly with Duke on the grounds he has to give it up when I ask him. Normally I have no problems with him giving it up and the second he refuses I end the game completely however today while in the back I grabbed his stick and as we were playing he readjusted his grip and got my index finger and the nail on my middle finger instead of the stick.

My whole hand feels numb and there's a cm long insecion right before the nuckle on my index finger and blood pooling under my middle finger nail. He immediatly let go when he realised it was me and not the stick but oh man it kills. I washed it out and put peroxide on and I need to check my medical history to see the last time I got my tetinus shot ( they last 10 years correct).

Needless to say, while I do not believe Tug of war, when played correctly ( you always iniate and end the game and the dog must always give the toy to you the instant you ask for it or game over) is a bad way to help your dog burn some energy, I think I will stay away from it in the future for safety issues and stick to fetch and herding basketballs.

Anyways a bit of waring to those who play tug of war responsibly to keep an eye on where you hand is.

Kayla

Dekka
May 9th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Accidents happen.

The new theory on tug is that is a co operative game and won't lead to agression as long as there are rules (ie you can stop the game at any time) Most agility and flyball competitors really want dogs with good tug drive. I play tug with all my dogs that will (I have 5 JRTs) I actively encourage my puppies to tug in new environments. Yes there have been times when a tooth might get a bit close to skin-but then the game ends. The dogs quickly learn that if they want to keep playing they need to be careful. But as I said accidents will happen.

If you and your dog love tug what about getting a really long tug rope? More distance between delicate human skin and sharp doggie teeth.

Hunter's_owner
May 9th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Ouch:eek: That must have hurt.
I play tug with my doggies some times, but it goes by my rules always. I would also suggest a longer rope. It works better for keeping the teeth away from the hands:o

SableCollie
May 9th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Oh yeah, been there done that. It kills. I hope your hand is feeling a bit better at least. :I need a get well smiley:

Apparently my dad's police dog was taught to readjust his grip whenever the toy/person stopped moving to get a good firm grip. I was playing tug with him once with a stuffed toy and I got distracted and stopped "tugging" I was just holding on, and he adjusted his bite and his canine tooth went into my thumb, left a little hole. I still play tug with him though, I just pay more attention! and I love playing with sable, I can get her all hyped up and mock-growling while hanging onto the toy, then I can say "drop!" and she spits out the toy and drops to the ground in a down/stay. then when I say "get it!" She leaps up and grabs the toy. Tug was actually a great training exercise for her, I slowly worked up to the point where even when she is super-aroused, she will immediately let go when I tell her to.

H.P.
May 9th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Dr. told me a few years back that tetanus shots are "good for 10 years,unless it is a barnyard case", then 5 years. I am not sure if a dog bite is a barnyard case or not, or if that is still the current thinking on the issue.

As far as tug o war goes, we recently stopped playing for the same reason.