Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Right food for Kidney problems

Vick12
May 9th, 2007, 11:54 AM
One of my dogs (Toby) has had kidney crystals in the past. My vet wants him on Medi-Cal but I refuse to give him that food because the ingredients are the same as the cheap one.
I'm not feeding him the best food now because I want to find the right food so that he does not have this problem again.
Someone told me not to give him food with high protein in it or it might cause the crystals to come back.
I've been researching food brands and I realised that the food with no grains (which I prefer) has the most protein in it!!

I need some help finding out if this is true about the protein and what kind of food I could put my 3 dogs on. I'm also limited on the brands that are available in my town.

Thanks!!

technodoll
May 9th, 2007, 12:11 PM
I'm also limited on the brands that are available in my town.

can you list what IS available?... of course nothing from the grocery store or walmart/drugstore/7-11, there are no good petfoods there ;)

or you can make a home-diet too. puppyluv can help you on that, her dog is on a homeprepared kidney diet for now. :goodvibes:

gypsy_girl
May 9th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I assume that these are struvite crystals, or are they oxylate? Requirements in terms of feeding are different.
As well, NO food is guaranteed to stop crystals only prevent

Vick12
May 9th, 2007, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure what kind of crystals they were. The vet gave him medication and he didn't have any for 3 years.

what is available:
Nutro
Eagle pack Holistic
Chicken soup
Canidae
Solid Gold
Techni-Cal
Evolve
Merrick
Pro Series
Wellness
Natural Balance

gypsy_girl
May 9th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Can you find out what kind? It is very important in terms of what you feed.

Vick12
May 9th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Well....it's was 3-4 years ago, the vet never told me what kind and I looked in his vet records booklet and she didn't mark it.
I don't feel like calling her either....She's usually not nice.
He's going in next week to take his stiches off so I'll ask to check in the file.

Prin
May 9th, 2007, 06:47 PM
The lowest digestible protein would be Natural Balance vegetarian. :o (their veggie food is probably the best veggie food out there though)

IMO, the specific minerals would be more important though. :o