Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is this normal behaviour?

KimandAutumn
May 9th, 2007, 09:41 AM
We’re on Day 3 of establishing ground rules and let dogs know I am in charge.

Blaze – no problems, well behaved and polite.

Autumn – still rude and pushy. Since potty training was going well, we’ve allowed her certain privileges. We live in a 2 story townhouse, kitchen, living room on main level and bedrooms and bath upstairs. When we first brought Autumn home we had a baby gate on the stairs leading to upstairs and kept her on leash or insight on main with us. Now that she’s older her privileges have been that she is able to accompany us upstairs if I am on the computer and usually she will just lay beside the desk on the floor. She never gets free roam of the house though because I don’t entirely trust her yet. When I am in the office I keep the other 2 bedroom doors and bathroom door shut. I guess our bedroom door wasn’t closed tightly and Autumn left the room which she will occasionally do to go downstairs and ask to go outside. Hubby was downstairs and he would have let her out. After about 30 seconds I don’t hear her walking down stairs so I get up to see where she is, and she pushed our bedroom door open and she had peed on Blaze’s pillow and blanket and when I walked in she was rolling in it. My fault entirely, I should have watched where she was going but since she just went pee about 10 min earlier I really didn’t think she would do that given that she can hold it up to 9+ hours if she chooses to. Of course, since I didn’t catch her actually peeing I couldn’t do anything about it other than clean everything up.

Geez, I am just pulling hair out. It felt like she was saying “Screw you new dog!” She could have peed anywhere in the house but chose one spot – new dog’s pillow.

Is this normal behaviour? Is it a dominance thing, do females mark territory like males do?

tenderfoot
May 9th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Yes, females mark too.

Yes, this was a deliberate act upon the the other dog.

Is Blaze the new dog? How old are these dogs?

Things should settle down, but it does tell you that Autumn can't be trusted and still needs to be watched. Next time set her up for learning. Let her go into the other room and be very ready to correct her bad choice the second she thinks about peeing on the bed. Let her know that it is YOUR bed and not her place to claim it. You don't have to flip out on her, but be clear that it won't be tolerated.

Even working her vocabulary and skills more will help a lot. It naturally places you in charge and reminds her that she is not the one to be telling others what to do.

KimandAutumn
May 9th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Yes, Blaze is new dog. 12 year old rescue dalmatian. Autumn, 10 month old Great Dane we've owned since she was 12 weeks old.

tenderfoot
May 9th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Autumn just needs more time, patience and work. She is going through a challenging stage and, new dog or not, she would be more likely to act out now than 6 months ago. The new dog just adds more to the puzzle for her.