Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Started mixing in the Wellness 95% Venison

clm
May 8th, 2007, 11:22 PM
I've been putting a spoonful in with Baxters Orijen puppy for his breakfast and his dinner. He loves the stuff. He finished the venison this morning, so I tried the 95% chicken tonight in with his dinner and he loves that too. One can does him six meals mixed with the dry. I have the 95% beef and that'll be next. Nice having the 3 varieties, I think there's a fish one too, but they didn't have it when I bought the others, I think it's nice to be able to give them a change. No adverse effects so far, so he's doing well with the Orijen and the Wellness canned.

Cindy

rainbow
May 9th, 2007, 12:54 AM
WOO HOO for Baxter. :highfive:

Prin
May 9th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Woo! Good luck! :goodvibes:

crazydays
September 17th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Hi Clm!!!

How is it going adding in the canned protein?
I actually started to do the same thing today with my two dogs. I want to try to bump up the protein they are currently getting in their kibble. My 6 month pup is on Solid Gold kibble. I bought Wellness Salmon 95% and added it to her kibble--shes crazy for it. I wanted to work in fish for all the good thats in it. Also- I may move her into a Orijen fish based food when she turns Adult. My adult dog is on Innova Adult. She has alot of allergies to seaweed etc so I have to be careful-- I got a can of Evangers 95%cooked chicken in the can--loves it.

I am wanting to find other brands of canned protein to supplement their diet. I just don't feel like I am ready to do the homecooked thing and I can't see myself doing RAW-even though I respect those who do!!

sugarcatmom
September 17th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I am wanting to find other brands of canned protein to supplement their diet. I just don't feel like I am ready to do the homecooked thing and I can't see myself doing RAW-even though I respect those who do!!

You might also want to check out some of the Wysong Au Jus (http://www.wysong.net/PDFs/labels/WDMVP-14.pdf) varieties. They're 95% meat, 5% organs, and come in rabbit, venison, turkey, duck, beef and chicken. Natura (EVO (http://www.naturapet.com/brands/evo.asp)) also makes some 95% canned meat diets, but they all seem to have seaweed extract in them.

OC_Spirit
September 17th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Im glad your dog is doing well on it but something got me thinking...A dog nutritionist told me his worries about all these new kibbles coming out with the hihg protein and fat content that seems to be the latest craze. He said the fat/protein content is way too high for the average family pet that get nothing more than 1/2hr-1hr walk a day. Then I see people adding even more protein (canned food that is 95% meat) and I wonder if it is possible that some pet homes are giving their dog too much protein. Since they say never to give a dog cat food due to the high protein content. I give my guys a kibble with a high fat/protein content and also give them raw meat but my dogs are also working dogs, not jsut family pets and get way more than a 1hr walk per day....

Thoughts?

crazydays
September 18th, 2007, 07:48 AM
OCspirit. I know exactly what you are talking about! Isn't the information confusing?? The dog kibble that my dogs are on have 22 and 24 percent protein content. Because of my confusion about the actual needs of my active but average dogs, I thought I would add some 95%canned protein in their food-just to bump them up a bit. I am talking 2-3 small spoonfuls. They also think they have died and gone to heaven.

I really would like to know why these 42-44% protein dry foods are being developed if most dogs aren't able to handle this? What is the average dog owner supposed to think? Also, some manufacturers are producing puppy foods with the same??? Whats that?

I know my Vet clearly does not support these high protein foods. But then, I hear that Vets don't know nutrition--again whats that?? The Merck Veterinary manuel states that pups should be in mid 20's for protein. It also states adults needing less than 20%.

Until I hear otherwise, I guess i have to straddle the fence. Its hard though because I get caught up in the hype from these manufacturers. Lets face it we all want the very best for our dogs. I have 6 months before switching from puppy food to something-maybe I will learn more in that time to become better educated.

Sugarcatmom- thanks for the canned food info- Wysong-another brand that doesn't have seaweed extract and such!!

clm
September 18th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Hi Crazy Days,

I still mix in the different varieties of wellness canned. Sometimes I use the 95% Venison, Salmon, Chicken, sometimes I use the other wellness varieties. They love the duck and sweet potato and the chicken and sweet potato. I just bought a case of each of those last week. They get 1/2 a can each mixed in with their Orijen every morning and another 1/2 a can each mixed in with their Orijen for dinner each night. They're just loving it. :D

Cindy

crazydays
September 18th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Hey Clm-good to hear from you! How do you know how much to feed your dogs when you are giving complete dry food/day? If the can says 1.5 cans/day then I assume that I would need to give that amount to get the 8% protein. I will only be adding a small percent of protein their diet. I would say each at the moment will be getting one quarter-half can per day---I am trying this to see what happens to the bowels. So far so good!

clm
September 18th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Ok, now you're going to expose my insane way of measuring out their food.

My measuring is quite technical :laughing:, 2 cupped palmfulls of dry food into each bowl and mix that with 1/2 can of food in each bowl morning and evening. So each dog daily gets 4 cupped palmfulls of dry food and one full can of wet food.

I've never gone by the package reccommendations for any of my dogs. Full grown Kees are small eaters. The breeder suggested trying each pup with a handful of kibble at a time and increase as they want more. I've been doing that and adding the canned too.

Cindy

crazydays
September 18th, 2007, 11:29 AM
:lightbulb:Hey--scary we speak the same language!!!!! A palmful here a palmful there.......... it does give me a idea how its working for ya!!!!:shrug:maybe trying to be too scientific about it all leaves you:wall::wall:

I can drive myself around the bend. I need to chill out:sleepy: and relax a little about this stuff!

clm
September 18th, 2007, 03:22 PM
:lightbulb:Hey--scary we speak the same language!!!!! A palmful here a palmful there..........

:laughing: too funny.

I sometimes think the dog food manufacturers suggested feeding amounts are wishful thinking on their part :laughing: I'm sure you'll find the right amount and what mix works well for your dogs.

Cindy

Bluedrake
September 18th, 2007, 07:35 PM
About the high protein and fat content of the new comercial foods, if you were feeding your dog with raw meat, he would be getting plenty of that too. And don't forget, just because an animal is domesticated doesn't mean his nutritional needs are different from a wild animal's.

Just take the wolves at the zoo. They get raw meat with the fat on it, and they don't have much space to run around or hunt, do they? And they still stay slim and healthy.

Actually, that is a very interesting test to do. Go to the zoo and ask why they don't feed kibble to the wolves. The answer is doing to be very interesting, depending on the keeper's mood!

Remember, dogs of every shape, size and breed are nothing more than wolves in fancy clothing and a tame disposition (in most cases). The basic nutritional needs are the same.

As for the Wellness canned, congrats for adding it, and glad to hear your dogs love it! There's a new 95 % turkey out now. Try it out!

crazydays
September 18th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Bluedrake- thanks for the post! Today I went and got the Wellness Turkey. I really feel good giving it to the dogs. They love it and I know the product is good. At this point my plan is still to supplement the dry food.