Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bunnies!

SableCollie
May 8th, 2007, 06:48 PM
My bunnies say there are not enough bunny pics here! So we are going to remedy that! :)
P.S. My bunnies do not really have red glowing eyes, unfortunately the red eye edit option on my photo editor does not recognize bunny eyes!

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/laikawolf/Photos126.jpg
This is Karma! She is really a lot larger than the picture suggests. She was adopted from the shelter at 6 weeks old--a woman brought in Karma's mom and dad, saying they belonged to her neighbors and the neighbors were just going to set them free! She also mentioned that she thought the female bunny might be pregnant. We separated the bunnies, and the female gave birth that night! So I got to see karma grow up from a little hairless, blind thing to a cute fuzzy bunny! :)

Karma lived with my mom's elderly bunny, Cuddles, until Cuddles died of old age. I wanted to find a new friend for Karma, and then a little baby bunny happened to be brought into the shelter. She was only about 5 weeks old, the people had found her in their yard, and she had little wounds all over her. Turns out the wound were caused by cuterebra (http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/71500.htm) larva that were under her skin...they are like botfly larva. She had 7 of them removed from her! After she had healed, she was introduced to Karma, and cuteness ensued!
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/laikawolf/Photos127.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/laikawolf/Photos128.jpg

Oh, and Jeannie said to not forget her! She belonged to a friend of mine for many years, unfortunately she was a bit neglected as the friend grew up. Then when my friend had to move, she asked if I could take her in, so here she is:
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/laikawolf/Photos092.jpg

CyberKitten
May 8th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Awwww, they are adorable!! Are they litter trained? Do they like to do the bunny hop? Mine would do his when he was deliriously happy over something - usually a wild run around the basement, up and down stairs for example, lol

I too had trouble with red eye with my bun but I am not expert with cameras.

jiorji
May 8th, 2007, 07:04 PM
oh they look so soft!!!:cloud9:

SableCollie
May 8th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Karma and Kismet are litter trained, they live in a large dog "exercise pen" in their room. They don't go 100% in the box though, so I bought a ground covering that is sold for use with the exercise pens, it is made out of woven plastic and it protects the wooden floor from accidents. Jeannie was 9 when I got her, I have not been able to litterbox train her at all, too many years of just living in a cage with a wire floor, she doesn't "go" in one spot. So unfortunately, she is in a cage, but she has a newer cage that is bigger than the one in the photo. She used to like to run around the room, but now I guess she is slowing down, she doesn't really come out of her cage for playtime unless I take her out.

Karma and Kismet have a cardboard box right now, which they would like everyone to know is the greatest thing in the whole wide world! :cloud9:

And I would like everyone to know that that the black couch thing they are sitting on is the bunny room couch, not my real couch. The non-bunny furniture is not that furry! :p

jessi76
May 8th, 2007, 07:35 PM
oh I just love them!! I had a bunny once upon a time - a dwarf lop. who grew to about 15 lbs and lived a VERY long (and happy) bunny life, totally pampered, as your's seem to be! I would LOVE to get another someday.

btw, I agree, not enough bunny pics here. we'll definately need to see more of Karma, Kismet, & Jeannie!

SableCollie
May 8th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Ohhh other people must have bunnies too! I don't think mine are looking forward to any more photo sessions. You can see in the 3rd picture, Karma is scrunching herself down into the cushion, trying to disappear!

LynLyn
May 9th, 2007, 12:03 AM
aww! that's so cute, makes me want bunnies now too!

CyberKitten
May 9th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Sable, it seems t be that wayswith bunnies. Mine preferred a mat that I did not think was that soft but just to put is somewhere one nite back when he was maybe 5 or so, I left it in a large basket I had used for magazines. Well, he saw the mat, jumped on it and decided it was his. We renamed it his la-Z- boy and it became just hat, haha!

Dracko
May 9th, 2007, 10:26 AM
I had a friend who had 2 bunnies. I was amazed to find out how socialized they were. She adored them. They were litter trained and she let them roam around the house when she was home. Bunny fur is so soft. :lovestruck:

SableCollie
May 9th, 2007, 02:15 PM
They are soft, but boy do they shed! I can vacuum and dust their room, and within a week everything will be covered with a bunny fur coating. Karma's fur is kind of strange, you can see in the 1st pic it's really shiny. The other bunnies shed a bit all year round, but karma blows her coat about 4 times a year. huge clumps of undercoat will come out, and I have to brush her constantly. It lasts a couple of weeks, and then she looks really nice and shiny. Unfortunately I was in a clothes store once and saw a scarf made from rabbit pelts that looked exactly like karma's fur. :sad: It was very upsetting.

I might try letting them all out together soon. When Jeannie arrived, I tried to introduce them through the pen, so they were still separate, but they were a little cranky with each other. Grunting and hitting with front paws. But it's been months now with their little homes right next to each other and they've calmed down so I think I may give it another go. :fingerscr

Dekka
May 9th, 2007, 07:50 PM
these are our baby bunnies. They were rescued after their nest was accidentally demolished as we worked on our septic. We have had them 5 days now and they are doing well.:)

SableCollie
May 9th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Oh my! Adorableness!!! :lovestruck: :cloud9:

Wanna trade? (just kidding!!!!!!)

Dekka
May 9th, 2007, 08:03 PM
very cute :lovestruck: and they grow so fast...I am going to need to find someone who can take them till they get big enough to release..or if they are too tame to keep them. (with 5 Jack Russells there is no way we can safely keep them, though my son really would like too)

SableCollie
May 9th, 2007, 09:12 PM
We have a wildlife rehabilitator we take orphan bunnies to when we find them. The woman raises them in her house and then releases them to the wild. I think she tries to handle them as little as possible so they don't become tame. maybe there's someone like that near you?