Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

food and weather any relations

breeze
May 8th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Does other doggies eat less when the weather get hot than in the fall and winter??

lately mine has not been eating all of her breakfast or dinner. and on some days she will eat everything in the bowl and then wants more, and other days she will just eat half of the bowl.
So I was wondering if it has anything to do with weather? or is she readjusting herself to what she needs?

Hunter's_owner
May 8th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Yeah on really warm days Hunter don't want to eat very much. Cassie has never not wanted to eat:rolleyes:

I find Hunter gets like that some times. There was one day a couple of weeks ago that he just didn't eat...I got a little concerned, but then the next day he ate. So yeah, I am not sure why, but there are times when Hunter just don't want to eat:shrug:

breeze
May 8th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I even take her out for excerise and she still does not eat everything, she usally eats 3-4 cups per day when she is outside running around and 2-3 cups when she is not just the last couple of days when the weather has been hot she really does not want to eat very much :confused:

luckypenny
May 8th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I am so relieved you posted this thread Breeze. It has been a week that Lucky has stopped eating breakfast altogether. And this evening, he won't even come to sniff at his dinner. Tonight has surprised me though because we had a very active day and I thought he would be famished by now. Penny, on the other hand, can never seem to get enough (don't know if being a Lab has anything to do with that :rolleyes:).

breeze
May 8th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I would love to understand this, cause I too had a very active day and she hardley even touched her meal !! it can be really fustrating at times

Dogastrophe
May 8th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Last Spring Lucy and Monty (rip buddy) both stopped eating their full days meal (breakfast and supper). They would pick away at one of the meals, or not eat it at all, but generally would eat the next meal. Jack is bullet proof ... he'll eat all plus any he can steal out of an unguarded bowl. We originally thought that they were bored with their food so swithed them up a bit. However, the result was the same. This carried on until Fall.

This Spring, as if on cue, Lucy started either taking a very long time to eat or ignore it altogether. We have since attributed this to the warmer spring weather.

Seems like we're not alone in this.

:pawprint:

breeze
May 8th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Seems like we're not alone in this.

:pawprint:

no I don't think we are

SableCollie
May 8th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Yes it's normal. Actually I personally hate the heat in the summer, and I completely lose my appetite, even if I have been exercising. I just have no appetite and have to force myself to eat. Unfortunately, this doesn't cause me to become skinny. :o

In the winter your body burns more calories just trying to keep warm, so you tend to need to eat more. Cooler temps stimulate appetite, which is why most restaurants are kept cool. :)

Prin
May 8th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I've never had that problem, but they do get softer stools in the super heat though.

Frenchy
May 8th, 2007, 08:28 PM
I don't know if it's the weather but Bailey has skipped a few meals for the past week or so too. But never does he skips both meals.

rainbow
May 8th, 2007, 11:56 PM
I've never had a problem either. :shrug:

Hunter's_owner
May 9th, 2007, 06:23 AM
I am so relieved you posted this thread Breeze. It has been a week that Lucky has stopped eating breakfast altogether. And this evening, he won't even come to sniff at his dinner. Tonight has surprised me though because we had a very active day and I thought he would be famished by now. Penny, on the other hand, can never seem to get enough (don't know if being a Lab has anything to do with that :rolleyes:).

I don't know about it being a lab thing because Hunter is a lab and he is the one that may not eat every now and then.:shrug: Cassie, the beagle is the one that can eat and eat and eat.

Lissa
May 9th, 2007, 08:27 AM
LOL Dodger would never refuse food, so that's never been a problem here:D...

SuperWanda
May 9th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I also notice this in one of my dogs.

Our thinner husky/hound eats everything all the time but our average build husky mix seems to not want as much when it is especially hot - like today - suppose to be a record 32 degrees here! :eek:

I've alway thought it was normal - I feel the same when I am hot and I imagine with all that fur, they may feel more sluggish and not have as good an appetite.

breeze
May 9th, 2007, 10:19 AM
It is starting to look like it depends on the dog :rolleyes: some dogs get bothered by it other do not, I am just so glad that I'm not alone in this, I would imagine she will eat her proper meal when she is hungry, as long as there is no medical condition I should not be worried about it.. :thumbs up

Hunter's_owner
May 9th, 2007, 10:54 AM
The way I judge it with Hunter is this: if he don't eat for a day then I watch him for the next day, if the next day he is fine and eats his meal, then I just shrug it off. If though he acts different in any way at all and/or don't eat the next day, I would check it out with the vet. It has never come to that for us though. If he don't eat one day he has always eaten the next.

Cathy1
May 9th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Jasper's eating habits haven't changed but Duke's has since it has warmed up he only wants to eat at night. It's like that every year.

Ford Girl
May 9th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I posted this same things a few days ago. After 4 days and less then 2 cups total, Dazy ate her next 3 meals with gusto, devoured them, plain kibble. She too had energy, and was happy, just didn't eat.

After a good brushing, 6 brushes full of hair later it clicked....she's hot, it's hot out, she's not hungry....Hum??? I'd have to agree the weather plays a role.

geisha
May 9th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Hey can you send the warm weather here please?