Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Duke has started chewing on his legs

Colubridz
May 8th, 2007, 12:11 PM
I noticed last night that Duke has begun to chomp down on his hind legs piticularly around the feet. He literally sat there and chewed on them for a good hour. We did just get back from up north and I've been terribly itchy from our hikes and am wondering if maybe we both got into a bit of poision ivy? He went swimming ( well played fetch up to his chest) right before we left so I would have thought that would wash away any irritants. He's also recently begun switching onto Fromm however the ingredients are literally almost identical to Wellness ( which is what he's been on for 5-6 months with no problems) just a few of the 4th and 7th ingredients are switched around and Fromm has cheese in their food where Wellness does not.

He hasn't bitten any of the hair off but it's still a little alarming. I'd prefer to try and eliminate the possibility of something up north irritating him before assuming it's a food allergy. He did wear a mix of lavender oil and other flower oils while up there to keep the black flies and misqioutes away from him but that dosen't mean a few didn't get him. His appetite and drinking and energy levels have all been the same so right now my three guesses are

1) Skin irritation (possible poison ivy since my ankles have been pretty itchy)
2) Reaction to bug bites from being outside 12 hours of the day (though again he was wearing lavender oils to help reduce the bites)
3) Possible allergy to the cheese in Fromm ( as every other ingredient is almost identical to Wellness)

Any thoughts?
Kayla

Prin
May 8th, 2007, 01:02 PM
I thought poison ivy was an oil, and if it is, just swimming won't rinse it off completely.

I'm not sure it's the food though, unless he's got a crazy cheese allergy, which is so rare.

It could also be an allergy to the lavender oils...

Honestly, if it was me, I'd probably wash the chewy area with a mild soap I've already used before successfully, being sure to lather it up as much as possible before rinsing. If it's an oil doing it, then the reaction might taper off...

Colubridz
May 8th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks Prin,
I'll go do that now, I was also wondering if Calimine lotion is safe to use on dogs?

The only reason i'm a bit doubtful of the lavender oil is because I mainly sprayed it on his back and chest and those area's don't seem to be bothering him.

Kayla

jessi76
May 8th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Prin's right, wash the area w/ a mild antibacterial soap and keep it dry. don't put ANYTHING on it right away. see if it clears up, or if something develops (rash, or bug bites, etc...) that will help identify it.

btw - my dog romps through poison ivy all the time and has never had a reaction. (and my dog is basically bald on his underside - so the oils are directly on his skin)

it could really be anything, I would clean it well, keep it dry, and see if it worsens or starts to clear up.

SuperWanda
May 8th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Is it possible it was an inhaled allergy from some kind of plant or pollen he's not usually exposed to at home?

I agree to give him a shampoo to wash away anything that he may have been exposed to - if it is an inhaled allergy then maybe it will subside now that you're home.

technodoll
May 8th, 2007, 07:51 PM
any chance that the walk had nothing to do with it and duke is just reacting to the kibble? just throwing an idea out there. sometimes a system gets used to real food (ie, raw or home cooked) and it's a bit of an adjustment to go back to kibble.

do what you can to eliminate any doubt, as per the advice already given, and see in a few days if it gets better :fingerscr if not... well. you know. LOL! ;)

Prin
May 8th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Dogs can't really react to stuff on their backs and chest though... Even if they're itchy, dogs can't really bend that way. :o

I agree though- don't put anything on it. What it needs is air and if it's still itchy, a vet.

TMac
May 10th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Colubridz,

It could also be the development of seasonal allergies. We're pretty sure that's what bothers Toby every time this year - tree pollen is high right now. He gets itchy legs/feet and a pink itchy belly. We're generally anti-steroid so we try to control it by increasing bathing with oatmeal shampoo. It tends to go away once tree pollen time is done.

Prin
May 11th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Any results? :o :fingerscr

Colubridz
May 11th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Yup luckily he hasn't started itching since so I think were in the clear

mydogs
May 15th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Dogs will chew there legs if there in pain.