Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

? about what meds dogs should take regulary AND anything to stop shedding?

JessieEla
May 7th, 2007, 01:56 PM
My Brittney is 3 years old(small bitch) and my black lab is 1 yr and 3 months-she weighs about 55 lbs.
They have been on Sentinel which is very expensive at my vet's.
One-do they need to be on this? We DO live in the country and there are wild 4-legged creatures around
Two-where on line in Canada might I buy this cheaper?
Three-are there any meds to prevent year round shedding?

sissani
May 7th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I dont know about the first two, but the last one - I dont know about meds/suppliments but I know having them on a good food can greatly decrease shedding. I was amazed how much less my kids shed (even in shedding season) on a high quality food.

Prin
May 7th, 2007, 05:43 PM
The main thing to help with year round shedding is better food. What are you feeding?

For Sentinel, you have options... Sentinel covers fleas as well as heartworm. If you want just heartworm prevention, you can get Heartgard or Heartgard plus (gets more types of intestinal worms too...).

Ideally, in Canada, you'd want to give heartworm preventatives for the whole mosquito season (Aprilish to Novemberish), and you'd get the blood tested every 2 years.

I get mine from www.vetproductsdirect.com, but the shipping takes a few weeks, so you have to order well in advance of needing them.