Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

will spaying cure my kitty's wanderlust?

marsupial mama
May 7th, 2007, 09:27 AM
kitty is due to be spayed at the end of the week. She is SUPPOSED to be an indoor cat but a couple of weeks ago a cat came to the patio door and she was quite entranced to see a member of her own kind. Then DH "took pity" on her and let her out to say hello :mad: and she has been trying to get out ever since.

Sometimes she yowls by doors and windows, and anyone coming in or out has to Watch Out For The Cat.

This morning she got out when DH came in. He ran after her, grabbed her and brought her back in. She got a telling of and "scolded" him in return for a good 5 minutes. :yell: She's just a DSH calico but I can;t help wondering if there is some Siamese in her LOL.

I;m not sure if she has gone into heat or not. She is about 5 months old and still quite small, but it could be that she is just a small cat. We didn't see any of her parents or siblings as she came from the local shelter and was the only one left of her litter.

Will spaying calm her down and put an end to these escape attempts?? We're really hoping so. :cat:

marsupial mama
May 7th, 2007, 11:40 AM
<bump>

Just in case it's not clear :o , we are getting her spayed *anyway*. No desire to add to the kitten overpopulation issue here.

clm
May 7th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Getting her spayed will certainly help. When they're in heat, they will take every opportunity to find a way out.
Giving her a taste of the outdoors wouldn't have helped, she'll get over it though, you'll have to be careful with open doors for a while for sure.

Cindy

marsupial mama
May 7th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks - that's a relief!

Dh and kids think we should get a harness and leash and take her in the back yard sometimes for fresh air... so she gets out like she wants to but it's "under control". do you think it's a good idea? or will it just make things worse?

rainbow
May 7th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Kittens can come into heat at 5 months old. Glad you are getting her spayed. The leash and harness is okay but I would wait until after she has recuperated from being spayed.

badger
May 7th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I think it would be fine to take her out with harness and leash, although she may not accept the restraint at first. Just be consistent - no going out ever except on a leash and she'll get used to it.
If she had been in heat, I think you would have noticed a bigger change in her behaviour. She probably just wants to play with 'her kind' - they have tons of energy at that age. Have you thought about getting her a friend?