Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

RAW DIETS? Consider this...

RUSTYcat
May 6th, 2007, 08:51 PM
20 million chickens held from market

This happened Friday, showed up on CNN site yesterday AM.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/05/05/petfood.recall.ap/index.html

OK, now IF these birds are eventually released to market (i.e. determined to be of minimal risk to human health), the meat will end up (among other places) in the "grocer's meat section".

I have no science background, and have no intention of speculating on whether/not that chicken would pose a health concern for, e.g. cats, whose systems are much more "sensitive" than ours.

But, at least, I thinkit should be a consideration for raw-diet-feeders.

technodoll
May 6th, 2007, 08:53 PM
i prefer those kinds of raw chickens any day over the "who knows what" that ends up in commercial petfood :rolleyes: i mean if it's good enough to end up in the human food bin, it's good enough for my dogs :D

but thanks for the head's up!

Prin
May 6th, 2007, 08:56 PM
i mean if it's good enough to end up in the human food bin... Who says it is? ;)

technodoll
May 6th, 2007, 08:58 PM
well, from the original post: OK, now IF these birds are eventually released to market (i.e. determined to be of minimal risk to human health), the meat will end up (among other places) in the "grocer's meat section".

you'd love my balcony, it has raw turkey necks and raw chicken pieces drying and baking in the sun for days at a time sometimes, before the kids find it tasty enough to eat. they've never gotten sick eating their "poulet au naturel". but if they get into a few mouthfuls of kibble... omg cannon butt! pretty ironic eh? LOL

Prin
May 6th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Yeah, but how often have you seen expired meats, expired eggs, expired yogurt, etc etc on the grocer shelves? Just because you can buy it, it doesn't mean it's meant to be eaten. Who says it's good enough, is what I meant.

technodoll
May 6th, 2007, 09:04 PM
dogs LOVE rotten things, don't you know? Kill meat. Bury meat for a few weeks. Dig up when ripe and green. Eat. YUM. :laughing:

PS: i don't think to ever shop at a place that sells rotten meat and rotten eggs though, LOL!

Prin
May 6th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Yeah, and then regurgitate it on Ma's pillow for her to have a taste.:D

technodoll
May 6th, 2007, 09:06 PM
yep. dakotah did that once when he drank a litre of water after a huge meal. and your point is?... :rolleyes:

gomez
May 6th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Oh wait, can we add some lentils into the mix? :rolleyes:

gypsy_girl
May 7th, 2007, 12:34 PM
I think the point I get out of this whole thing, is that the gluten or protein could have ended up in the human food chain, as it would have passed inspection based on the fact that melamine is not tested for in the US or Canada , whether fit for human food or not.

Mypetsrmykids
May 7th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I guess no one saw my recent post below about the contaminated chicken. They were asked about whether the chickens are dangerous for our pets to eat even though it's supposed to be safe for human consumption. They tried to avoid answering this question but finally said that homemade food was dangerous for our pets. In my opinion they are saying, yes, this is dangerous. By the way, some of these chickens DID go to our markets before they discovered the melamine feed. They said they didn't recall because it was considered "safe for human consumption".

Mypetsrmykids
May 7th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I just got off the phone with someone at the AVMA. I asked him about the chicken that ate this feed that have been released to the markets before the investigation took place and whether it is safe for our pets. He is going to call the FDA and ask this question. He is also going to find out if those other 2 million chickens will ever be released to the markets if they are assumed "safe for human consumption". He said that he would either call me or they will post it on their website. He thinks that it is a question that seriously needs to be addressed. I will let you all know either way.

technodoll
May 7th, 2007, 02:25 PM
hey thanks for all the info.... i'm just glad the stuff i buy is produced locally and i haven't heard any warnings about chickens around here.... the world is just going NUTS! :yell: :sad:

erykah1310
May 7th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Erykah just popping in to say....
"I think everyone should start looking for trusted farmers";)

but quickly leaves because she is aware that not everyone is as "lucky" as her in that sence.