Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Aggression towards puppies?

Ford Girl
May 6th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Hi, me again, since there is so much helpful advise being given for the other issues I have posted, thought I would throw this one out there...

Dazy is always good with other dogs, big, small (especially the small ones), submissive, aggressive, she herself is pretty dominent but seems to know where her place is. She approaches other dogs regardless of the other dogs size by laying down on her belly and lets them approach her. They sniff, she curls her lip sometimes, but never growls or snaps, lets them sniff then they either play or go their own way.

Twice I've seen her reactive aggressivly to a puppy, weird thing is, both times it was a very young - say 11 - 13 weeks old, male chocolate lab puppy, 2 different puppies - both labs and very young. She hovers over them, growling, baring her teeth, I quickly call her off or take her away from the situations. She hasn't actually attaked but I got the feeling that I needed to intervene quickly. We meet puppies all the time, and this has only happened the 2 times. Infact we walked away and she played with a basset hound pup, no issues.

Someone at the park told me today that dominent puppies in adolecence will try to dominate younger weaker puppies. (The park I go to, people talk alot, are very interested in other dogs, it's a really social atmosphere for both humans and dogs) Do you think there is any truth to that? Do you think it was just those 2 puppies and the vibe she got?

Any ideas besides not going to the dog park? :)

Prin
May 6th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I'd just make sure to be close enough to correct her. All that snarling and snapping can really traumatize a young pup. :o

Ford Girl
May 7th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Oh for sure, when we got Dazy we were told to make sure all interaction until they are over 4 months old has to be safe and with dogs that are friendly, and that's what concerns me. She sticks really close at the park.

Have a greta day!