Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Training multiple dogs

sissani
May 6th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I have two dogs, and they both need training. I plan on getting them both at least through basic obedience, maybe even getting them both Canine Good Citizenship, but Louie will probably go further into tricks and more advanced obedience because he just really enjoys that kind of thing (Tickey's idea of a good time on the other hand is sleeping in with me on a lazy morning, snoring my ear off!). My local Human Society requires I go to a little seminar for dog owners, before I enroll in any classes, which they have instructors there at the seminar so you can sign up right after it ends.

I know which class I am going to enroll in, but the thing is, do I enroll twice and just take Louie on one night and Tickey on another?

For those of you with more than one dog, how did you handle getting them trained?

hazelrunpack
May 7th, 2007, 12:02 AM
We did most of it ourselves. We've had a lot of dogs, so we've found methods that work--and our own techniques. With six, it's important that each dog gets his or her own time for training. I started out with them one-on-one, and eventually hope to get all 6 steady enough to be out for a training session all together.

So far, Cass and Ember are steady enough to be out together for training. Cole is almost to that point. The other three are younger and newer--they've only been with us for 2 years or so--and I was out of commission for one of those years--so they're not nearly as far along. But I'm hoping to really work on it again this summer. :thumbs up

tenderfoot
May 7th, 2007, 12:50 PM
When our clients come to us we don't care which dog they bring - the class is really for the person. We might have to repeat some things to ensure the dog/client team are ready for the next level, but which dog it is really doesn't matter.

The classes should be about teaching you how to communicate with your dog (any dog) successfully. So the most important individual in the room is YOU. Everything you learn you can apply to both dogs - just tweaking the subtleties for each dog’s personality.

I would encourage you to take the dog you find the most challenging. Your learning curve is going to be far greater and the other dog will seem like a piece of cake.

sissani
May 7th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I would encourage you to take the dog you find the most challenging. Your learning curve is going to be far greater and the other dog will seem like a piece of cake.

I was just thinking of asking you which you would reccommend I bring to classes! So on your reccommendation, I would take my Beagle to classes and use what I learn there to train my Brittany at home. That would actually work better because not only that, but Louie (the brittany) is better at being left home alone. Tickey is very much a Beagle in that he will howl if left alone without at least Louie for company.

I wanted to get one or both of them Canine Good Citizen certified - would I be able to get Louie a CGC certificate, even though he wont go through classes? (In other words, does a dog need to go through obedience classes to qualify to take the CGC test?)

tenderfoot
May 7th, 2007, 07:33 PM
The test is purely based on his performance - there should not be a requirement for him to learn in a specific class environment. However, if he does not get lots of experience around other dogs, people, environments then he could have performance anxiety when it comes down to the exam. He has to be calm in any situation - that will help ensure a good performance.

Dekka
May 14th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I tell ppl to bring the dog that is the most socialized. People and dogs don't learn well when stressed. You want to be able to focus on the class and the excercises and not controlling your dog. Classes are often fun. You may find that you want to go with your other dog after.