Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Not eating?

Ford Girl
May 6th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Good morning!

Dazy hasn't been eating latley, her kibble that is. She's on Orijen, and has never really eaten it like it was her last meal, (on Nutro, she ate it so fast that I didn't even have the lid back on the kibble container before it was gone) but she usually finishes it one out of the 2 meals a day, 1.5 cups 2 times a day, 8 months, 55lbs. She started smelling it and walking away or doesn't even come when we tell her dinners ready, not interested at all. I added a bit of Horizons Oil a few weeks back, for her coat as well as try to intice her to eat, didn't make a difference. Right from the begining we have given her bits of meat, or egg, but not every meal, depending of the energy she has burnt or what the days plans were. Of course she will eat treats, but I am reluctant to treat her while she is not eating meals. She has skipped breakfast 4 days in a row, yestersay only ate 1 cup total. I thougth I would try something, even tho I know it could lead to spoiling her....I put the kibble down this morning, no interst what so ever, then I picked it up and added chicken, real cooked chicken, still nothing. She didn't even eat that, or try to seperate it it from the kibble.

Other then not eating, she is fine, no fever or aches and pains, regular #1s and 2s, high energy, happy in general. Do dogs get bored of their food? Should I look at switching kibble to something she likes better? I, as an owner like Orijen, her coat and #2s have improved so much since we switched her, we've bought 3 XL bags of Orijen, and we are almost done the bag we have, if we switch nows the time. With camping season coming up, she's going to need her energy.

Should I even be worried? She did just go thru a growth spurt, and I asked some of my friends with large breed dogs, they said thier dogs go thru that too. My concern was 4 days in a row, no breakfast?? Is that ok? With a cat in the house, that happens to like her food, better then his, I can't just put the food down and leave it until she wants it. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

rainbow
May 6th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Are you sure you're not trying to feed her too much? I have a 56lb. Siberian Husky that is on Innova regular and he gets 1 cup twice a day which is plenty. In fact, he looks like he may have gained some weight. He gets weighed on Tuesday and if he's gained I will be cutting him back a little.

Ford Girl
May 7th, 2007, 11:05 AM
I am feeding a cup less then the bag reccomends, and she's not eating any of it. This weekend she ate 1 cup saturday, nothing yesterday, and no breakfast this morning?? The weather is much warmer then it has been, and she still seems happy and energetic.

I am going to look in to new food I think, cuz we clipped her nails last night and she had no issues with the treats, and this morning she was trying to beg for my breakfast, she just doesn't want her own. I will buy a small bag to start.

Ford Girl
May 7th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Any suggestions as to what I should switch her too? I'd like to maybe try something that's not a chicken formula, also, should I switch her to adult formula or keep her on puppy?

I'd like to stay grain free if possible. I just read in another post about grain free food, that someone was feeding grain free to help with yeast in the dogs ear. Does that actually make a differece? Dazy has had reoccuring yeast in one ear since Feb, it seems to be gone now tho.

Prin
May 7th, 2007, 11:04 PM
A golden, eh? Hmm... There's still a bit of growing to do there, so IMO, it's better to stay away from the high protein foods because of their high calcium content until she's done growing. You could switch her to any other adult formula at this point though. Maybe get some samples of foods you like and see which, if any she devours. Just be careful with switching too often because she's not eating though as it might make her picky.:o (Like "If I don't eat, I get something tasty, so I'll just wait.")

Ford Girl
May 8th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Thanks! Well, low and behold - she ate dinner last night and breakfast this morning, with vigor I might add! Drool flying, anxiously awaiting her bowl...plain kibble, nothing added. I was happy to see that. :)