Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Adopted a kitty playmate for Onnie!

onster
May 6th, 2007, 08:22 AM
So there's an adopt-a-thon going on at PetSmart from the local humane societies...I went to have a 'look' and ended up adopting a 3 month old male kitten :) The way it looked into my eyes :lovestruck: hehehe. I was pretty worried about how Onnie (only had him since Dec) would react and was anticipating days of seperation etc. Well, we got in the house, kitten (name suggestions anyone?) was meowing so Onnie came up to the box and meowed too and sniffed. I went and got onnie's carrier so they could see eachother and put the kitten in onnie just calmly sniffed - my mom said to just let kitten out.

I did, onnie just sniffed it...seemed kinda spooked, ran halfway up the stairs, then stared at it. For the next 10 minutes Onnie just followed it everywhere, i was begining to think he was chasing it so I put kitten in a room while I gave onnie some love. Went out to get another litter box, the little brother had let kitten and Onnie meet again, apparently they just touched noses and went about their business. For the next 4 hours kitten roamed, onnie followed. Occasionally doing a little butt wiggle and charging at kitten, only to stop right b4 kitten. When Onnie stopped chasing kitten, it chased him :) I think they were playing! I hope so!. There was no hissing, poofing up or growling on either end, not even once. I went to bed with onnie still following kitten everywhere and woke up to onnie asleep on my moms bed and kitten on the little brothers. I think everything is going to be just fine :highfive:

onster
May 6th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Some pretty bad pics...onnie running away in the 2nd. heheh I don't think the big guy noticed the size difference, he was spooked at first by the kitten! Also, all the kitten wanted to do was sniff Onnie's behind..everytime it would do that Onnie would jump a mile! hehe

onster
May 6th, 2007, 08:25 AM
the meeting

onster
May 6th, 2007, 08:27 AM
I think they'll be good friends :).

onster
May 6th, 2007, 08:29 AM
and finally, after a bathe ( dont usually bathe my kitties...actually never do, but this kitten STANK!)

cpietra16
May 6th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Yah..I would have brought him home too. Cute face. All love love love:cloud9:

rainbow
May 6th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Well, they're certainly going to be good buddies. :cloud9: He's very cute and looks just like one of my previous kitties :rip: named Angus. :lovestruck:

Crestedcrazy
May 6th, 2007, 01:21 PM
awwwwww so sweet, bet they will be best buddies in no time at all :)

Smiley14
May 6th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Ohhhhh, what a cutie!!!!! Love the wet pic, hehe! Too cute! Congrats on your new family member! :)

jiorji
May 6th, 2007, 06:45 PM
i love the bath pic:cloud9: Very cute kitten. And don't worry judging by the closeness in pics, it won't be long before they're good friends:D

onster
May 7th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Thanks everyone, the kitten ( we're thinking Tito) is a super cudly sweety pie. He melts my heart :lovestruck:

I'm beggining to worry that Onnie isn't liking him so much though :( I posted a new thread about it in the general cat and dog forum, but basicaly Onnie chases after the kitten a little too aggresively. I hope he's just establishing the pecking order.

So far no bites/scratches, but a concered mommy, a seemingly depressed Onnie and a kitten who's having a bit of a rough time. I hope it goes smoothly :fingerscr :pray: .

onster
May 7th, 2007, 05:01 PM
the still unnamed adoptee...we're thinking simsim now ( it means sesame in arabic), when u say something is 'misamsim' it means its tiny..so simsim seems to fit...maybe..hehe its the name of the hour at least :D

onster
May 7th, 2007, 05:04 PM
and more...

onster
May 7th, 2007, 05:06 PM
onnie "maybe if i close my eyes real tight, when I open them again that thing will be gone". ....no, still here. :D

rainbow
May 7th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I love the pic with the paw over his face. :lovestruck: Is he neutered yet?

onster
May 7th, 2007, 05:21 PM
no, not yet rainbow. He's only 3 months old...can he get neutered this early? Ive actually never had a kitten so never had to get it spayed/neutered ( always already done) so I'm kinda clueless...was going to ask the vet when I take him in for his 3rd booster in a month. The humane society gave me a spay/neuter voucher that I have to use within the next 6 months, but Id rather get it done ASAP b4 he starts spraying or anything.

rainbow
May 7th, 2007, 06:46 PM
You can but some vets won't do it that young. :shrug: I think you will notice a difference with how Onnie reacts once the little guy is neutered.

CyberKitten
May 7th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! Cute pix!!!! And yes, some vets will spay as early as 2 mos!! I prefer to wait until 4 months at least - depending on whether the cat is one who is early in coming into his or her sex drive - for want of a better description, lol

Did you rub a little vanilla on each one? That is a trick that neutralizes the smell and since cats determine so much by smell, they will then think they belong at least in the same place - even if they have not yet quite become best buds. Rubbing a towel on each one (the same one) also helps.

I am assuming the new guy had his little place for a few days and then you made a cautious intro? That's the recommended way at least and it always works for me. (and I use the towel thing too, vanilla sometime). A new cat has to first get adjusted but he looked pretty comfortable, lol Then the current kitty needs to feel this is still his home esp if he is an alpha kitty. If they are both males, I'd spay the newbie asap so there are no spraying fights for territory going on. That could be nasty!

Prin
May 7th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Very cute! I hope they get along well.:) Congrats. :highfive: :stork-baby:

onster
May 8th, 2007, 11:49 AM
I called my vet this morning, the earliest they will neuter is 5 months, but they prefer 6 months - 5 months it is. How long will the kitten be 'out of commission'/ how carefully do I have to watch it after the procedure? My brother will be getting married about 5 days after the scheduled neuter date and I know it will be extremely busy then. I should maybe seek a vet who will neuter at 4 months if there's going to be a lot of after care needed or wait till the little guy is 6 months old.

Thanks for the advice cyberkitten..I think everything in the house smells of sweet sweet vanilla now :D lol

No, unfortunately we didn't do the reccomended introduction ( perhaps against my better judgemet ...oops). Honestly I know sometimes they are playing because just when I think the kitten is getting beat up and i make onnie leave it alone I find that the kitten starts stalking onnie and pouncing on him etc. Or onnie will run up to the kitten then flip on to his side ( exposing his stomache), which I dont think he would do if he was being aggressive? I think Onnie just gets overzealous sometimes..

Does anyone have 2 male kitties? Do they get along well? I asked the shelter about that, whether I needed to get a female and the adoption coordinator said no, it was fine..she had 2 males and she actually preferred it that way cuz males are more affectionate? I hope I didn't set these 2 up for failure :sad:

Thanks for the congrats Prin, Ive seen pictures of ure doggies and theyre gorgeous ( and ure fosters...:cloud9:)

onster
May 8th, 2007, 01:56 PM
So after having me toss and turn all night worrying about what I will do if these 2 don't get along I was a little freaked out when the house was all quiet, ran to check on the kitties and this is what I found :) good sign right?

Sorry I know Im puting way too many pics up, Im just too excited :D I just noticed all the pics are pretty much on my mom's bed...I don't blame them though, that's one comfy bed :goodvibes:

SunnysMum
May 8th, 2007, 04:38 PM
"maybe if i close my eyes real tight, when I open them again that thing will be gone". ....no, still here."

ROFLOL! :laughing: That could be Sunny regarding our newer guy, Salem.

FWIW - We did the keeping them separate thing, slow introductions, etc. Sunny and Salem were dying to meet and play at the end. But for the past couple of weeks - Sunny cooled completely regarding Salem. He keeps giving us the "Is he STILL here?" look. They still play wrestle - but Sunny does hiss and growl at Salem.

They do groom each other (my daughter says Sunny grooms Salem because he stinks!....:laughing: ....but he is getting "sweeter smelling") and I too have a picture of them sleeping together (but so far, it has only happend once!).

Your new guy is adorable!!! and I'm sure he and Onyx will be great buds in time. It sure looks promising. I hope the same will happen with our guys -- but tolerating Salem seems to be all Sunny does at this point. Salem seems to like Sunny a whole lot more than Sunny likes Salem. I will say that personality-wise - my two guys are total opposites - They are like the Odd Couple! They are both love-sponges for their humans though - one trait they share.

We had Salem neutered before we took him home from the vets (our vet had him since he was found lost, cold, wet and half bald at approx 6 weeks old). When we brought Salem home, he was about 5 months old. He was neutered the week before, and seemed fine by then. I don't know how long your little guy will be 'down for the count' after he gets neutered.

:fingerscr I hope that both our little pairs turn out to be great buds!!!!

Congrats on your new addition!!! :thumbs up

SableCollie
May 8th, 2007, 06:07 PM
They're both very cute! And yes, adjustments take time, and as long as they are not seriously fighting they usually turn out to be friends.

As for neutering, they are almost back to normal the next day, and are feeling 100% back to normal in 2 days! It's such a simple procedure, especially for males. I've seen hundreds of cats get fixed, they are still groggy the first night after surgery, and maybe into the next day, then they are fine. They shouldn't eat until they wake up completely from the anesthesia-when they are no longer groggy, and their pupils are no longer dilated. Generally the next morning after surgery they can eat. You need to make sure there's no swelling or discharge from the incision site and make sure he's not picking at it, but otherwise, no after-care needed. You should keep them separate for the first few days at least, and if you think they're gonna play rough or fight, keep them separate for a week to give the incision time to heal completely. He shouldn't be jumping onto or off of high places for a few days, but it's hard to keep cats still! After a week to 14 days, the incision is usually all healed up, and they can run and jump to their heart's content!

TeriM
May 9th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Aww, the new kitty is adorable :cloud9: and it looks like they are well on their way to being buddies.

onster
May 14th, 2007, 04:56 PM
LOL sunnysmom, our new guy also stinks :yuck: , but his cuteness makes up for it. They havent taken to grooming eachother yet but :fingerscr Do u have pics of ure guys up? I would love to seem them, they sound adorable

thanks for the great info SableCollie :cat:

onster
May 14th, 2007, 04:58 PM
so they still have their squabbles every once in a while, but looks like were getting to best bud status ( noticed the decreased distance from eachother from the first sleeping together pic i posted when it had only been a few days)

onster
May 14th, 2007, 05:03 PM
potential disaster ( when hes alseep and stretches the vase kinda wobbles) but he's too cute to discipline yet lol...that and he's a stubborn bum! will jump right back up there.

TeriM
May 14th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I'm so glad they are getting along better :thumbs up .