Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Newman's Own Ingredient Change

rainbow
May 5th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Newman's Own has now added soy to their ingredients.

http://www.newmansownorganics.com/pet/products/ingredients.php

Prin
May 5th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Oh, Paul. Whatcha doin'? :sad:

rainbow
May 5th, 2007, 11:40 PM
I was wondering too and this is what Paul ( :cloud9: ) has to say:

Q: Why do the new formulas contain soy?

A: Soy is an excellent low-fat source of bio-available protein that contains antioxidant compounds and amino acids that boost the immune system and decrease levels of LDL cholesterol. While we donít yet know of all the beneficial effects soy may have on dog and cat health, its role as an important building block in human health has been well established.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Doesnít soy cause bloat in dogs?

A: We have spoken to many veterinary clinicians and animal nutritionists and searched through a lot of literature and have yet been able to find any proof that soy causes bloat or any other digestive disturbances in dogs or cats.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Arenít some animals allergic to soy?

A: Again, we can find no scientific proof of this. It is interesting, however, that humans with food allergies are turning to soy.

Goldens4Ever
May 6th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Well, it is true that soy does add some important nutrients; however, they could also be obtained from other high-quality ingredients......I don't know why they chose soy from the others available. :confused:

rainbow
May 6th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I'm thinking he's cutting corners for profit. :sad: :mad:

OntarioGreys
May 6th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Yes it is cutting corners and soy causes many dogs to become very gassy, it is an ingredient greyhound owners have been warned for years to stay away from.

Soy also does not contain complete amino acids which is found in meat.

I think alot of pet owners that feed will be changing to something else, and then he will know it was a huge mistake

rainbow
May 6th, 2007, 01:20 PM
As long as they don't believe the reasons in his FAQ's. :rolleyes:

Prin
May 6th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I agree. I'd never give any soy to my two. Humans are not dogs. Just the fact that they bring humans into it is just ridiculous.

SableCollie
May 6th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Soy is a complete protein, according to the FDA: ...Unlike some other beans, soy offers a "complete" protein profile. Soy and quinoa are the only 2 non-animal complete proteins that I know of. It does make me wonder if the soy they use is human quality or livestock quality. :yuck:

I did read a recent study by a university where they tested to see if soy caused bloat, and they tested to see if it caused a specific gas to form in the digestive tract of dogs, and it didn't. they couldn't find any indication that soy could cause bloat. So he is right on that. My dog gets small amounts of soy products in her diet, but I wouldn't use it as a major protein source for a dog, as I don't know how digestible it is for them.

mydogs
May 7th, 2007, 08:49 AM
trying to pick up the people that dropped other food because of the recall, is my thought :)

SnowDancer
May 7th, 2007, 09:31 AM
I don't know if my Eskie could tolerate soy, but I guess he won't find out - because I CAN'T. So much for humans and soy and I am not alone.