Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

CVMA Certified Cat Foods??

marrielle
April 21st, 2004, 04:35 PM
How does everyone feel about the CVMA certification of foods? I pasted the link below
http://www.cvma-acmv.org/programs3.asp?subcat=Pet+Food+Certification
I haven't quite made up my mind..I'm not a grocery store food buyer as a rule so I'm not sure how I feel about it :confused:

Marxcat
April 19th, 2006, 01:05 PM
:sorry: this is not the answer to your post, but I sure hope someone will reply soon because I also would like to feed my dog with the right food.
Mine is a SHE doberman 8 month old.
I have read many posting on this forum and elsewhere on the web about dog foods, I found a lot of arguments, ingredients list ect. but no one seems to come out with the name of a :ca: dog foods brand saying it's this is best quality/priced food for your dog.
I don't mind if it's sold in a grocery or not I just want to keep my dog healty and happy.

Lucky Rescue
April 19th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Feeding cheap grocery store food, like Pedigree, actually costs more than feeding high quality food like Wellness since you have to feed much more of Pedigree. I feed Wellness and although the bag is expensive, my dog eats much less of it and it averages out to 1.00$ per day.

Wellness
Merrick
California Natural
WolfKing
Innova

All very good foods and there are others.

Grocery store food is composed of a lot of cheap fillers like corn that dogs cannot digest and give no nutrition at all.

rainbow
April 19th, 2006, 02:27 PM
How does everyone feel about the CVMA certification of foods?

IMO the CVMA certifies just about anything.:eek:

I have read many posting on this forum and elsewhere on the web about dog foods, I found a lot of arguments, ingredients list ect. but no one seems to come out with the name of a dog foods brand saying it's this is best quality/priced food for your dog.
I don't mind if it's sold in a grocery or not I just want to keep my dog healty and happy.

Different dogs do well on different foods therefore there is no one food that is best for every dog. There is a lot of information in the dog food section of this forum. Check it out.:D

Prin
April 19th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Well, that link isn't working for me...:rolleyes:

I'll just keep it general then... Most of the time guidelines set by government organizations are the bare minimum to keep a dog alive. There isn't usually stuff in there to ensure good quality of life.

Even vets have the idea that as long as a food has the nutrients needed, the rest doesn't matter. Basically, like giving the dog a multivitamin every day and letting him eat junk for energy.

But in truth, the more vitamins and minerals come from natural sources and not supplements, the better.

Why isn't there a best food? Every dog is different- not only in digestion and allergies, but in taste as well. Wellness is a great food, but my Jemma won't touch it. Solid Gold Wolf King is a great food (what I feed) but other dogs can't digest it. If you look around the food forum, you'll see there are a few brands we all think are great, even if we don't feed them all. You just have to try them out until you find the one that works best for your dog.

Marxcat
April 21st, 2006, 06:59 AM
Thank you for your help!
I'll go to my local pet shop to see if they have one of these brands in store and let you know later the one I got for Rudy
:fingerscr
Merci

Marxcat
April 21st, 2006, 10:09 AM
I'm back from the pet shop! "Pappy Toutou" in St-Jerome, pq.

The only brand they had in the one suggested by "Lucky rescue and Prin" was Wellness priced at $67cnd for about a 20 pound bag.
Can't afford that kind of price!:mad:
Can't afford heating filet mignon every day!:sad:

So I looked at different brand they had in store an picked "TechniCal Precision for large breed puppy" made by RoyalCanin cause it had a nice puppy on the bag:D
Seriously the ingredient list seemed not bad:

Ingredients: LChicken meal, brown rice, rice, chicken fat (naturally preserved), chicken cartilage (a natural source of glucosamine), wheat, dried beet pulp, corn gluten meal, dried egg powder, natural flavours, flaxseed, brewers yeast, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, tomato pomace, salt, citric acid, salmon oil, L-lysine, calcium carbonate, lecithine, choline chloride, DL-methionine, Vitamins (vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, vitamin C, inositol, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, beta-carotene, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, vitamin K, biotin, vitamin B12), Minerals (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, iron proteinate, zinc oxide, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), yucca shidigera extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract.

I paid $44cnd for a 33 pound bag

I would like to have your comments on this choice or any other suggestions

Have a good day

Lucky Rescue
April 21st, 2006, 10:29 AM
I would like to have your comments on this choice

I have a question. Where's the meat?

How much do you have to feed every day?

This food is cheap because the ingredients are cheap. Rice costs less than meat, but dogs need meat.

Prin
April 21st, 2006, 01:40 PM
I know price is always a factor, but in this case, going from $40 to $60 a bag is really worth it. You'll feed less and have less vet visits, so it *nearly* comes out to the same amount. Plus you'll have a healthier, happier doggy.

It's up to you, but keep in mind that even if you buy one bag, you're not making a lifetime committment or anything...;)

Marxcat
April 22nd, 2006, 07:38 AM
Thank for your the infos, I'll look in other stores and try to make a better choice next time!
I know we usually get for what we pay for, but from what I read so far seems say that price isn't the only nor the main indicator of the best product.:confused:
When Rudy finishes the food I have just bought for her. I'll get back to you in the dog food section of this forum.
Merci and have a good day